Faction Alt Rule (ILLEGAL FACTIONS)

marbella mondays

16 hours ago, Brian said:

If that's an actual rule I honestly don't see its purpose. Alternate characters can be one of the big factors in portraying realistic factions and can add a ton of benefit to the faction's roleplay, if they're disallowed or you need to go through a long, boring process to get them, that's not so cool is it? Do we want people doing 4 different things on their main/only character or high ranking characters involving themselves in petty stuff that'd be handled by lower ranking guys realistically, just because having an alt takes ages?

That rule should honestly be removed, if someone does something dumb or metagames, just get rid of 'em, don't restrict the whole server because there's a chance someone might be being dumb with their alt.

Supported.

3) Metagaming

Providing in-character (IC) information to another player using out-of-character (OOC) means. Providing OOC information to another player using IC means. Using OOC means to find in-character information. Using OOC communication and/or information to influence anything in-character.

All characters you create cannot interact with each other in any way. You may not use a third party to transfer IC information from one of your characters to another one of your characters either. You may not reference any of your other characters.

You may only have one character involved in a particular objective and/or RP scene at the same time. Examples;

• you and other faction members arrange a drug deal, then you show up on another character;
  • you report someone missing to the police on more than one character;
  • showing up to a business you own and spending money;
  • gathering information on one character, and using that information on another character.

Members of approved factions may have alternative characters in the same faction after approval is granted by Faction Management. These characters are given some leeway when it comes to benefiting their own faction or referencing their other characters. 

This is the section of the rules that's relevant for this suggestion so that people are aware. IFM aren't really strict about granting alt permission and are fairly liberal with it, all you need to do is drop a message in your chat and ask. You make the point that if there is 'funky' stuff going on you can be reported, how? How would I (if I wasn't an admin) know that you had two characters in a faction and could be meta-gaming information between them? The reason the rule exists for normal players is pretty obvious, the amount of advantage you could gain if you metagamed or misused this would be really high. 

We understand that if you want or need to roleplay at multiple levels in your faction it's good to be able to do that so exceptions are granted for the rules, but I don't think this needs to become a free for all where anyone can create alts without informing IFM and then meaning it's incredibly hard for IFM to keep track of, otherwise every member of the faction could create an alt, or one faction leader could roleplay four characters and just think of the number of factions they need to stay across. As I said at the top it's really not hard for you to get this permission.

27 minutes ago, Notbond said:

This is the section of the rules that's relevant for this suggestion so that people are aware. IFM aren't really strict about granting alt permission and are fairly liberal with it, all you need to do is drop a message in your chat and ask. You make the point that if there is 'funky' stuff going on you can be reported, how? How would I (if I wasn't an admin) know that you had two characters in a faction and could be meta-gaming information between them? The reason the rule exists for normal players is pretty obvious, the amount of advantage you could gain if you metagamed or misused this would be really high. 

We understand that if you want or need to roleplay at multiple levels in your faction it's good to be able to do that so exceptions are granted for the rules, but I don't think this needs to become a free for all where anyone can create alts without informing IFM and then meaning it's incredibly hard for IFM to keep track of, otherwise every member of the faction could create an alt, or one faction leader could roleplay four characters and just think of the number of factions they need to stay across. As I said at the top it's really not hard for you to get this permission.

Was told by someone they waited 5 days, another person waited longer I was told... when I asked it did get approved instantly but that's only because I had my characters already made, just like 90% of the server's illegal RP scene. It seems like p much almost everyone on this thread more or less wants it gone, and I hope you can see why we all want it removed. There's a really easy way for people to see if there's two characters in the same faction by the same player, do what most servers with a UCP too... allow profile toggle, privacy set to public/private and allow users to search a character's name up, it's pretty easy in my opinion. 

As I stated during a conversation a couple days ago in the IFM discord the reason this rule exists is to cover our bases when factions do what I'll refer to as "matryoshka warring" wherein faction members create 3-4 alts to wage war with. So let's say a faction has 4 members total - if they have 4 alts, realistically they could justify their characters passing info to each alt so that the faction members inflate their total "numbers" to around 16 characters total. This means a full car rolling into your varrio each day until you ice them 4 times. This is highly unrealistic and something we're looking to avoid, which is the spirit of the rule. There is no restriction against regular faction members making their own alternate characters, the only time we're strict about it is when we're talking about faction leadership.

On 9/15/2020 at 12:24 PM, bidi bidi bom bom said:

This rule seriously needs to be reworked, and tweaked because right now 80% of the Illegal Factions on the server, if not more have ZERO KNOWLEDGE of this, and Illegal FM haven't even given me a confirmation as to whether this actually exists yet, but I've been told by a few reputable people that it is indeed true... and that needs to change, for the betterment of the server. It's understandable why it exists for legal factions, but zero understanding as to why it's there for illegal factions. This removal wouldn't hurt anyone, and in fact would make the Illegal RP community more happy.

The fact that many posters in this thread are just discovering this rule exists only through this thread points to how rarely we choose to enforce it, and only IFM would be enforcing it. For instance, having a jail character and an "outside" character has never been persecuted. Beyond that, we're only using it against people who are actually malicious. The rule exists as a nuclear option for a good reason.

I can guarantee it would be incredibly frustrating to wipe out your enemies and have them all hop on an alternate character to immediately start shooting at you again like they've respawned and this is a deathmatch game. This hasn't been highly publicized but it has happened here.

We're very liberal with this. Honestly, you won't be pursued if you don't tell us about an alt unless you're a member of leadership or using it maliciously. I'll paint a picture. Let's say the boss of a faction sells a gun to his underboss. The underboss in turn sells the very same gun to the boss' alternate character. This is a clear conflict of interest and asset transferring.

You will find we do not proactively enforce this rule until the parties breaking the rule do so proactively. It serves as a deterrent more than anything. If we discover someone "matryoshka" warring it gives us a reason to ajail them. Beyond this, we generally just want to be informed when you're making an alternate character in your own faction, I don't even remember the last time we said no.

You do not necessarily need to wait on our permission if you're not a faction leader so long as you're not going out there to do whacky shit on an alt. For faction members, you don't even necessarily have to inform us so long as you're abiding by the rules. This rule mainly applies to faction leaders and their lower-ranked alts.

Nobody is forcing anyone to only roleplay one illegal character, that's stupid. Nobody is forcing you to stick to one character in an illegal faction, that's also stupid. And for faction leaders, it doesn't make sense for a crime boss to run around murdering people. We just want people to be cautious of waging wars with alternate characters more than anything or metagaming across characters.

Edited by Bospy
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Bospy locked this topic