Exchange rate not followed

orangejuice

An obsession with creating profits over RP and an unrealistic lack of demand on the server for drugs is the problem.

Sad truth is people barely buy drugs like they would IRL. There are very few regular buyers or users on the server, even for something that is non-addictive and common as weed. Dealing drugs barely makes anything compared to guns or a legal business because the demand is so low, the risk verses reward is already flipped. By lowering the price without increasing the demand, the risk outweigh's the reward. There would be little intensive to even get into dealing drugs.

What the server needs is to actually get the drug update that was promised ages ago and with it hopefully an increase in demand for drugs. If demand goes up, we should be able to lower the prices while increasing the amount of drugs on the server. 

4 hours ago, orangejuice said:

yet weed is commonly sold on average for $300 a gram ($30)??

a drink in the club/bar etc tends to cost $200-$400 ($20-$40)?? 

So, $1 on GTA:W is equivalent to $1 IRL. So when you buy a gram of weed you ARE in fact buying it for $300, not (($30)). While $1 = $1, the economy is unique so prices are inflated. 

GTAWs economy can't be compared to our economy irl. Actual prices aside. There's a number of reasons for this. Keep in mind I'm not advocating any change here, I'm just saying how it is. 

First off, hourly checks. In my opinion they're the issue in the economy though that doesn't mean I don't understand why they're here. Giving everyone hourly paychecks discourages any poverty RP because poverty doesn't exist in a city where everyone is literally shoved cash down their throats. People who choose to RP in poverty can do so, if they deliberately choose to ignore the hundreds of thousands in their bank account that they got from just standing about and waiting. 

Secondly, costs. Irl, life is expensive. You pay for your phone, your gas for home and vehicle, your rent, your electricity, your Internet, your food, your insurances, your subscriptions, your TV, and of course your taxes. These costs don't exist in GTAW. There's a tax for when you have more than 700k in netto value, there's the car insurance and that's it. Owning a property doesn't cost anything in taxes aside from the first payment. Food doesn't cost anything cause you don't need it(not advocating a hunger system here, just pointing it out). None of the things mentioned have any cost. 

Thirdly, the lack of services. Irl, people like spending money. People like buying clothes, if people walk past a fast food place they like to grab a snack, people like to buy the newest phone and people like to buy hobby equipment, and much much more. GTAW doesn't really provide incentive for people to spend their money in the little things cause in the scope of the game, they're useless. Again, not advocating a change, that's just how it is. Some people choose to buy useless things anyway, me included, but there's no incentive. 

Because of these reasons, and a bunch more that I missed, the GTAW economy enjoys many benefits just as much as downsides. Benefits are that if you want to RP as a rich person, you can, and it's not so hard to get there. If you wanna grow your character to wealth, rags to riches, you can RP that entire journey out in a few months.

Downsides are that because everyone is shovelled cash into their pockets every hour, prices of course inflate massively. That's to make a balance between the money you get and the money you lose. If doesn't really work because you still get far more than you lose but still. 

These price inflations aren't exclusive to small items, by the way. If you buy a simple civilian car in GTAW, you'll lose around 30-60k unless you get one of the really trashy ones. If you buy one irl, well in my experience it's more around 10k. Expensive sports cars like the Coil Raiden cost 400k while the Tesla Model 3 costs around 40, 50k.

Concludingly! This system works this way because it allows people to RP becoming a rich person easily, but it comes with the unfortunately necessary downside of heavily inflated costs. 

I think the easiest way to combat this is by either removing hourly paychecks and increasing benefits for actually working, or by increasing the overall cost of living with more taxes and gas costs and electricity and all that. But that's just my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

GTA World has its own rules, it's not bad that a gram of weed goes for $300 bucks and an apartment for $200K. It'd be bad if today we had those prices and next year a gram of weed costs 2K and an apartment a 800K. As long as admins check the total amount of money transactioned divided by active players, inflation should be limited.

This post has been made based solely on the information provided in-game.

There is a part of the tutorial where it tells you that $1 in real life is equivalent to $10 in game.

Therefore it led me to wonder why something that costs $10 in real life, costs $300 in game. When based on the “exchange rate“ set by staff, it should be $100. 

Or something that would cost say $5 in real life is being sold for $400 in game. When according to the tutorial, it should of been $50.

It just didn’t correlate with the information set out in the tutorial. As someone said, this inflation that goes against what was originally set out by staff is probably due to a mix of people wanting bigger profits, over just doing stuff for rp and also a lack of drug demand (in the case of the drug market).

Its always been made clear this exchange rate is not for property’s/vehicles, therefore just leaving illegal markets and then also the offer of services, I guess.

However as I stated, it’s not a big issue. The servers economy still flows and money is easy to gain. I guess the original exchange rate was a good idea on paper but some things are just difficult to apply. All servers seem to face odd inflation rates over the years so it’s not something unique to this server or anything like that.

Edited by orangejuice
3 hours ago, Henning said:

An obsession with creating profits over RP and an unrealistic lack of demand on the server for drugs is the problem.

Sad truth is people barely buy drugs like they would IRL. There are very few regular buyers or users on the server, even for something that is non-addictive and common as weed. Dealing drugs barely makes anything compared to guns or a legal business because the demand is so low, the risk verses reward is already flipped. By lowering the price without increasing the demand, the risk outweigh's the reward. There would be little intensive to even get into dealing drugs.

What the server needs is to actually get the drug update that was promised ages ago and with it hopefully an increase in demand for drugs. If demand goes up, we should be able to lower the prices while increasing the amount of drugs on the server. 

I've never experienced this for months... every one that I've met desires to either sell or purchase narcotics. it's not broken, you're just not searching well enough.

3 hours ago, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

GTAWs economy can't be compared to our economy irl. Actual prices aside. There's a number of reasons for this. Keep in mind I'm not advocating any change here, I'm just saying how it is. 

First off, hourly checks. In my opinion they're the issue in the economy though that doesn't mean I don't understand why they're here. Giving everyone hourly paychecks discourages any poverty RP because poverty doesn't exist in a city where everyone is literally shoved cash down their throats. People who choose to RP in poverty can do so, if they deliberately choose to ignore the hundreds of thousands in their bank account that they got from just standing about and waiting. 

Secondly, costs. Irl, life is expensive. You pay for your phone, your gas for home and vehicle, your rent, your electricity, your Internet, your food, your insurances, your subscriptions, your TV, and of course your taxes. These costs don't exist in GTAW. There's a tax for when you have more than 700k in netto value, there's the car insurance and that's it. Owning a property doesn't cost anything in taxes aside from the first payment. Food doesn't cost anything cause you don't need it(not advocating a hunger system here, just pointing it out). None of the things mentioned have any cost. 

Thirdly, the lack of services. Irl, people like spending money. People like buying clothes, if people walk past a fast food place they like to grab a snack, people like to buy the newest phone and people like to buy hobby equipment, and much much more. GTAW doesn't really provide incentive for people to spend their money in the little things cause in the scope of the game, they're useless. Again, not advocating a change, that's just how it is. Some people choose to buy useless things anyway, me included, but there's no incentive. 

Because of these reasons, and a bunch more that I missed, the GTAW economy enjoys many benefits just as much as downsides. Benefits are that if you want to RP as a rich person, you can, and it's not so hard to get there. If you wanna grow your character to wealth, rags to riches, you can RP that entire journey out in a few months.

Downsides are that because everyone is shovelled cash into their pockets every hour, prices of course inflate massively. That's to make a balance between the money you get and the money you lose. If doesn't really work because you still get far more than you lose but still. 

These price inflations aren't exclusive to small items, by the way. If you buy a simple civilian car in GTAW, you'll lose around 30-60k unless you get one of the really trashy ones. If you buy one irl, well in my experience it's more around 10k. Expensive sports cars like the Coil Raiden cost 400k while the Tesla Model 3 costs around 40, 50k.

Concludingly! This system works this way because it allows people to RP becoming a rich person easily, but it comes with the unfortunately necessary downside of heavily inflated costs. 

I think the easiest way to combat this is by either removing hourly paychecks and increasing benefits for actually working, or by increasing the overall cost of living with more taxes and gas costs and electricity and all that. But that's just my opinion. 

People don't R.P. poverty? I observe it, every single day. Your O.O.C. cash is not your I.C. cash. Simply R.P. poor, regardless of the cheques.

The easiest way to combat this is to set high R.P. standards for players. File a character portrayal report if you believe that people are not R.P.ing realistically with their wealth.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1

There's a fundamental issue with people misunderstanding how our economy is supposed to be portrayed. It's not supposed to be compared to a real life economy. A real world $ is not equivalent to a GTAW $. Nervous stated this many times and it's also stated in the main Economy thread. We aren't supposed to have real world prices on items. The economy has been inflated on purpose, outside of car & housing prices. This is also stated in the Economy thread. The issue is that I've seen people say they refuse to role play the economy as anything other than one IRL $ = one GTAW $ and it screws up the entire design. That's not how GTAW management intended the economy to be, which is why we get $500+ hourly welfare paychecks and make $4000 an hour at most jobs. Items are supposed to be more expensive. Anything from illegal products to entry fees at a business. It's supposed to be higher than real life because the economy was made with that intention.

Edited by Teddy Broosevelt
  • Applaud 1