Revising the Scrolling Weapons rule.

Shaderz

Revision the Scrolling Weapons rule.  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey. Before I get into the actual point of the thread, let me tell you a story that recently took place. My character was casually chatting up with a friend on a sidewalk when suddenly two people pulled up in a car and clambered out. Shortly after, one of them attacked my character's friend from behind and a physical altercation broke out. My character, like any civilized person would do, attempted to separate them, but apparently it was a gang fight that was going on, according to the other person that showed up later, so the plan was to just let it happen naturally.

Irregardless of this, my character went ahead again and tried to stop the fight, to which the same person roleplayed taking out his small handgun to threaten my character and used it to tell her to back off. My character evidently feared for her life and I roleplayed her accordingly, obeying to his commands. At the same time, someone in the distance was witnessing the whole situation, dialed 911 and left. Soon after my character backed away and the fight carried on, the person in question scrolled his handgun back in without any roleplay and a few seconds later, the cops showed up on scene.

You might be wondering why I highlighted some words above, and I'll get to them in a second, but first of all, I'd like to make it clear that technically, none of what happened was against the rules and I'm not making this thread to point any fingers at him, but rather use him as an example of why this rule needs a revision. Additionally, this thread wasn't made with the intent to complain about losing in a scenario, as actually if I'm being honest, I'm grateful it took place because it helped me better understand my character and how I can use that particular situation as a point of reference to react to future events.

But back to that scene, the person in question firstly roleplayed taking out his weapon, but when it came to put it away, he didn't. This is confusing and conflicting, because since he roleplayed the first action of brandishing it, it's safe to assume that he would roleplay putting it away at some point too, especially when he didn't trigger it and merely used it as a resort to threaten someone while at that moment nobody else was around that could put him at a disadvantage. This could have also made a big difference in the outcome of the whole situation, had the police come and seen him with a gun out. It's optional, you might be thinking, and that's true, but this gives a lot of room for personal convenience, as it did in the situation above. 

With the above being said, I believe this rule needs some revision and clarification to elaborate on the problem that can rise from situations like the one described above. You should either roleplay the whole thing out (taking it out and eventually putting it away whenever), or nothing at all and just opt for scrolling, not leave it up to other players to guess when you're going to roleplay, or even if you are going to roleplay in the first place. I'd go as far as saying that scrolling weapons should be roleplayed at all times, except when it is to engage in an actual fight where roleplaying it might circumstantially put you at a disadvantage, such as an imminent shooting or stabbing situation or when the police finally catches an evading criminal and steps out to aim their weapons at them.

TL:DR: The act of scrolling weapons should be roleplayed in its entirety (taking it out and putting it away) if the player initially opts for roleplaying at least one of those actions, the former most of the times, so as to avoid confusion from other players. Additionally, scrolling weapons should be roleplayed at all times, except when typing out a full line of roleplay actually puts you a big disadvantage over someone else, such as in a shooting, stabbing or the end of a police evading situation where they all team up on you with weapon.

Thanks for reading and keep it civil, please.

Edited by Shaderz
34 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

Additionally, scrolling weapons should be roleplayed at all times, except when typing out a full line of roleplay actually puts you a big disadvantage over someone else, such as in a shooting, stabbing or the end of a police evading situation where they all team up on you with weapon.

I think this is already the general rule of thumb because why wouldn’t you roleplay when you have the ability to? 

Having read the situation that played out, what I understand from it is that the guy scrolled his weapon back in as police were arriving, could argue that they weren’t going to wait for him to roleplay sliding it back into his waistband.

I’d say leave it as it is because I’ve only been a witness to people that roleplay the gun in one way or another to make everyone alert that it’s present.

29 minutes ago, Law said:

I think this is already the general rule of thumb because why wouldn’t you roleplay when you have the ability to? 

That's essentially the issue that I'm bringing up, even though it's the rule of thumb and people have the ability to roleplay it, they don't because they're not obligated to according to this rule.

29 minutes ago, Law said:

Having read the situation that played out, what I understand from it is that the guy scrolled his weapon back in as police were arriving, could argue that they weren’t going to wait for him to roleplay sliding it back into his waistband.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear and that's my bad. When I say a few seconds, I'm going off of how the game feels when playing it out, as I've written this thread right after the situation was over. It felt like a few seconds, but in reality it was probably around thirty or so, but I can't be absolutely certain about that. Maybe it was even more. I think you get my point. It felt quick, but it wasn't that quick.

What I'm certain about is, however, that he had more than enough time to roleplay putting it away, as the police were nowhere nearby when he backed off of my character and scrolled his weapon in, meaning that according to what he knew at that time, he had the ability to roleplay it without putting himself in a disadvantageous position, yet opted not to, which again isn't against the rules, but in my opinion is an example of why this rule should be revised.

Edited by Shaderz

It's fine as it is as, typing out a /me realistically could take longer than it would take in real life to with draw or tuck away your gun, especially in a high stress situation and where you're trying to be quick and type out a /me that isn't riddled with spelling errors. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Late said:

It's fine as it is as, typing out a /me realistically could take longer than it would take in real life to with draw or tuck away your gun, especially in a high stress situation and where you're trying to be quick and type out a /me that isn't riddled with spelling errors. 

Can you please provide me with an example of a "high stress situation" that's not included in one of the exceptions that I pointed out where it's okay to scroll weapons without any roleplay as otherwise you would inevitably end up in a disadvantageous position but are still stressful enough to limit your typing abilities? 

I feel like the point here is being missed. If you have more than enough time to roleplay brandishing your handgun or putting it away without putting yourself in an unfair position against others, why shouldn't you do it? 

Edited by Shaderz
  • mj2002 locked this topic