Remove admin jails in favor of suspensions

Tank

Excuses excuses excuses is all I see. It may be archaic way to punish someone, but how does it work really? Can't you log off during that time?

Honestly if people get a temp-ban, they just go play or do something else and come when their ban is lifted. Why do we even hand out punishments for violators? Why do people even roleplay huh? Roleplaying has some rules set, so everyone can enjoy the roleplay. Happiness and irl life is okay.

But honestly the DM part? It's pretty annoying for the victim too. If people are here looking only for winning scenarios, they are on the wrong server.

Once someone is punished, they should feel that punishment. 

Edit: Let's be honest here, majority of ajails and bans are handed out for people refusing to lose and for people looking for shortcuts.

And none of that is fit for any roleplay.

Edited by Engelbert
6 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Can't you log off during that time?

Nope. From my understanding you need to be logged in for the ajail timer to go down.

Why do people even roleplay huh? Roleplaying has some rules set, so everyone can enjoy the roleplay.

Sure, there's rules. But those rules shouldn't affect me outside of GTA:W. Find me one game that has ajails? You won't. You just get banned.

Once someone is punished, they should feel that punishment. 

100%. And that's why ajails should be replaced with temp-bans, where you get a long-term ban if you accrue to many temp-bans.

Disclaimer: I've never been punished on GTA:W. Just playing devils advocate.

Edited by Fergie
  • Upvote 1

The thing is, that a temp-ban maybe is a punishment, but doesnt drop down on the violator as heavily as ajail. I know, I know you can't log off, that's bit sad. But honestly I had a 14 days ban once, cause I refused to rp robbery that took place on a parking lot at my apartment that time. I wanted to log, but I got annoyed so I just pulled out a gun and started running and shooting, yes that's okay I took the ban, cause my actions were disruptive. Thing is, I did not feel bad about it at all. Infact I simply looked at my Steam account and added some new games, possibly also picked up some projects outside of gaming. In the end I was away for a year instead of 14 days. My point is that, not everyone will learn from a ban. On the side note, what I did wouldn't have happened if I wasn't irritated oocly, nothing to do with rp. But it is what it is. Ajails are not good and they are archaic, but I understand that players breaking rules, yes it can happen, but if you must punish people for not rping something, why are they here in first place?

• Upvote 1
Just now, khaled said:

youre not forced whatsoever to stay in game. its not like nervous is holding a pistol against ur temple making sure u dont log off. if ud rather put ur time somewhere more productive, u can, ur time just wont go down until u have free time to wait it out.

So you are forced if you want to play again? That didn't make much sense.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

So you are forced if you want to play again? That didn't make much sense.

If you want to play yes, you have to be present for the timer to start counting. That's the punishment. And that's also the point I am trying to make here.

You are banned? No biggie, unban date was set, you just wait. But ajail? No no, you have to be IG if you want the timer to go right?

All the counter arguments I've read so far make one thing clear: a-jails should remain to make people suffer or feel the consequences.

Does nobody see anything wrong with that sentence? Forcing people to be online to wait out their punishment doesn't sit right with me. The argument that people must feel the punishment is weak. If people want to break rules, they will and they will be punished again and again which will lead to a ban. Like Fergie said, there's no other online game that uses a-jails.

For short sentences such as a 30 minute a-jail why not issue warnings? It must not be so bad to warrant punishment for such a short period of time.

• Applaud 1
1 minute ago, Tank said:

All the counter arguments I've read so far make one thing clear: a-jails should remain to make people suffer or feel the consequences.

Does nobody see anything wrong with that sentence? Forcing people to be online to wait out their punishment doesn't sit right with me. The argument that people must feel the punishment is weak. If people want to break rules, they will and they will be punished again and again which will lead to a ban. Like Fergie said, there's no other online game that uses a-jails.

For short sentences such as a 30 minute a-jail why not issue warnings? It must not be so bad to warrant punishment for such a short period of time.

I am not saying ajails should remain as they are. I am just saying that temp-bans will not do the trick. 

• mj2002 locked this topic