Remove admin jails in favor of suspensions

Tank

5 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

I am not saying ajails should remain as they are. I am just saying that temp-bans will not do the trick. 

Why not?

Player breaks a small rule? Issue a verbal or script warning (one that stays on their record).

Player had a poor reason to kill? Issue a few hour / day suspension based on what happened.

Player outright deathmatched? Issue a long term or permanent ban.

34 minutes ago, JustAnM43 said:

Follow the rules and you won't land in ajail and you won't get your fun taken away. It's simple.

Isn't a suspension taking away your fun too? Can't play GTAW for a specific period of time. Why must people sit in-game, frozen and stare at nothing?

Edited by Tank
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Tank said:

Why not?

Player breaks a small rule? Issue a verbal or script warning (one that stays on their record).

Player had a poor reason to kill? Issue a few hour / day suspension based on what happened.

Player outright deathmatched? Issue a long term or permanent ban.

Isn't a suspension taking away your fun too? Can't play GTAW for a specific period of time. Why must people sit in-game, frozen and stare at nothing?

The system works just fine as it is, I see no issues with it. Don't fuck up and you won't get an ajail?

14 minutes ago, JustAnM43 said:

The system works just fine as it is, I see no issues with it. Don't fuck up and you won't get an ajail?

You don't see no issues with it. How do you know the system works fine? Why isn't that the norm then? Why are suspensions favored over the concept of admin jails in other online games?

It's easy to say "don't fuck up" until it happens to you. I have never been punished on this server and I still think it's a dumb concept to force people to sit in a-jail staring at nothing. You don't need to teach people how to behave with punishment. If they don't behave you show them out, simple as.

Edited by Tank
4 minutes ago, Noodl3 said:

I haven’t ever been ajailed, nor do I plan on it. But honestly? Being forced to keep your game running to bypass the time of a punishment on a video game is a bit much.

Especially since GTA5 is so intensive. It's not like you can really do anything else. Just make it a 3 strike system. More then 2 temp bans are you're out of here. 

4 minutes ago, Sixth said:

Especially since GTA5 is so intensive. It's not like you can really do anything else. Just make it a 3 strike system. More then 2 temp bans are you're out of here. 

Exactly. Honestly moving to bans from ajails isn't that big of a change.

What is an ajail? You get temporarily taken out of the community to 'learn a lesson'. However you're required to stay logged in and in essence punished outside of GTA:W.

What is a ban? You get temporarily taken out of the community to 'learn a lesson'. However you're not required to stay logged in, and in essence you're free to go about your life outside of GTA:W.

The second option just seems more logical and fair.

Imagine you were "ajailed" on Call of Duty because you kept trolling your team and team killing everyone. If Blizzard froze you and forced you to wait IG for 2 hours before you can play again, people would lose their shit. Why is it any different on an RP server?

Edited by Fergie
1 minute ago, Fergie said:

Imagine you were "ajailed" on Call of Duty because you kept trolling your team and team killing everyone. If Blizzard froze you and forced you to wait IG for 2 hours before you can play again, people would lose their shit. Why is it any different on an RP server?

Because a roleplay server requires more thought and effort than rooty tooty point and shooty, and shouldn't be something you jump into mindlessly to ruin other people's experiences.

You can find a new CoD match in a matter of seconds.

In criminal law punishment has five recognized purposes: deterrence, incapacitation, rehabilitation, retribution, and restitution. All of these can be related to the game when you reword it and the purpose of punishment in our society as a whole. The threat of punishment deters people from engaging in rulebreaking. While punished a person cannot commit violations while imprisoned. A permanently banned player cannot commit a violation ever again. The punishment changes the player in order to make him or her a better participant afterwards. The player harmed the server/other players; therefore the server (or the direct victims) are entitled to inflict harm in return. The player is required to take some action to at least partially return the victim to the status quo ante.

Does admin jail reasonably and sufficiently serve it's purpose when applied to the game and human psychology? Is a ban worth more or less than admin jail? Does admin jail actually cause it's intended result? Is rule enforcement suppose to teach, or merely punish? GTA W isn't a traditional game, it's many things. It's a social community with social rules and social punishment. I'd argue an admin jail is a dated form of punishment but perfectly applicable as a warning tool in that it's halfway between a suspension and no action. It's also something you have to physically sit out instead of just waiting for a date, and arguably leaves more thought to what happened. It's also socially seen as far less severe. I don't think admin jail is an issue, the issue is more how it's used. Rule enforcement as a whole could be revised just for the sake of it. There are many comparable alternatives for admin jail, each have their pros and cons. It just so happened GTA W stuck with something they're familiar with, doesn't mean it doesn't work. Also doesn't mean it isn't something worth looking at to evolve. 

Edited by eTaylor

I would argue that at the very top level, permanent bans are rarely permanent. Most players are allowed back time and time again no matter what they’ve done so long as they say sorry. It bans were truly permanent, that might deter even more rule-breaking.

• Applaud 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic