PD Being too harsh in traffic stops

Angela

Hi, I'm a person who RPs legal characters, that means not using guns or commiting crimes. But I feel that some members of the PD are extremely harsh in traffic issues. Today I was driving a bike at 100 miles per hour on an empty highway, and was pulled over because the limit was 90 MpH. I was given a total amount of 11K as fines, which I think it's excessive. And what's worse the roleplay literaly took 20 minutes, which 15 minutes was the officer being inside his car typing things. 5K for not having paid my insurance, when I don't even know how to pay them. IRL the payment would be automatic. Then 1K for failing to yield, 2.5K for speeding and 2.5K more for reckless driving. My license was even suspended for 3 days, knowing there's no public transport in this city. I mean it's realistic to be pulled over, but I think the punishment was way too strict and expensive for driving as any player drives in a server. Let's be sincere, a city with the traffic the server has, wouldn't need traffic lights, here we have them on every corner. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be pulled over, but it's excessive to throw every possible charge to take a lot of money out from you.

In my opinion insurance bills should be discounted with your paycheck each hour if your vehicle is registered. It makes no sense to be given 500 bucks per hour and have to remember to pay some 1K insurance per month, and be fined for 5K when you don't pay it. And traffic lights work horribly in game, irl traffic lights are synced so you don't need to stop at every intersection. A quick stop and a simple speeding ticket would have been fine, but wasting 20-30 minutes in a situation with practically no RP, having my driving license suspended when it's impossible to play without a vehicle, and have to pay 11K over just driving fast in a roleplay server, it seems too much, and not fun at all. 

21 minutes ago, Angela said:

Hi, I'm a person who RPs legal characters, that means not using guns or commiting crimes. But I feel that some members of the PD are extremely harsh in traffic issues. Today I was driving a bike at 100 miles per hour on an empty highway, and was pulled over because the limit was 90 MpH. I was given a total amount of 11K as fines, which I think it's excessive. And what's worse the roleplay literaly took 20 minutes, which 15 minutes was the officer being inside his car typing things. 5K for not having paid my insurance, when I don't even know how to pay them. IRL the payment would be automatic. Then 1K for failing to yield, 2.5K for speeding and 2.5K more for reckless driving. My license was even suspended for 3 days, knowing there's no public transport in this city. I mean it's realistic to be pulled over, but I think the punishment was way too strict and expensive for driving as any player drives in a server. Let's be sincere, a city with the traffic the server has, wouldn't need traffic lights, here we have them on every corner. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be pulled over, but it's excessive to throw every possible charge to take a lot of money out from you.

Disclaimer: I’ve been in PD for about a month. However I’ve had illegal chars prior to PD. 

I have to disagree with a few things you’ve said. Firstly, traffic stops do take a while. 20 minutes? I find it hard to believe. It sounds like if it took that long, the officer was writing up the actual report we have to fill out when doing a stop. Most officers do it after however there’s no solid rule about when to do it. 

Insurance is your responsibility. You’re given an alert when your insurance runs out. Like EVERYTIME you enter your car after it expires you get an on screen message. There’s 0 excuse for not paying it aside from you choosing not too. 

As for the speeding, you were going 10 over so it’s not a lot. But officers have discretion on ticketing ICly. The officer could have decided to not give you a ticket depending on how you acted during the stop. 

As for the lights, we do have them. Sure we don’t have a ton of traffic but what we DO have are shit tons of accidents every day. Traffic laws exist because one; it’s realistic and two; they’re needed. 

Traffic lights are in fact synced. The rule of thumb is if it’s green you just need to slow down and continue. If it’s red, you need to come to a full stop and treat it like a stop sign. 

Depending on how you act and your driving record will often denote if you get a ticket. I rarely ticket someone who doesn’t give my character a BS reason for breaking the traffic laws. Just be chill and honest and it usually works out in your favor. 

Also don’t forget you can fight the ticket and suspension via the court system ICly. 

I’ve had 2 illegal characters on this server and never once been arrested. I’ve only gotten a ticket once. You can avoid getting ticketed and dealing with what comes with it if you’d obey the traffic laws. 

Edited by Fergie
Pardon some grammar. I’m on mobile.
  • Upvote 1

will say: most PD stops ive been in tend to take a good 15 minutes minimum. the worst part about traffic stops is that all the police officers like to act exactly the same, doing nothing to differentiate themselves from the rest, in which it's a simple "license registration" "ok wait 15 min" "heres ticket 72 hour" and...done.

Just now, Fergie said:

I have to disagree with a few things you’ve said. Firstly, traffic stops do take a while. 20 minutes? I find it hard to believe. It sounds like if it took that long, the officer was writing up the actual report we have to fill out when doing a stop. Most officers do it after however there’s no solid rule about when to do it. 

Well, he did while having me wait.

Just now, Fergie said:

Insurance is your responsibility. You’re given an alert when your sunrise ends runs out. Like EVERYTIME you enter your car after it expires you get an on screen message. There’s 0 excuse for not paying it aside from you choosing not too. 

I never pay attention to the notifications, I simply don't realize. It should be automatic tbh, the prices are worth nothing.

1 minute ago, Fergie said:

As for the speeding, you were going 10 over so it’s not a lot. But officers have discretion on ticketing ICly. The officer could have decided to not give you a ticket depending on how you acted during the stop. 

Well, when I roelplay flirting they usually let me go with a verbal warning or just one fine. But I was in a hurry oocly and not in my best mood, so I just wanted him to finish quickly tbh. It'd be okay 2.5K but 11K sounds an excess. 

2 minutes ago, Fergie said:

Traffic lights are in fact synced. The rule of thumb is if it’s green you just need to slow down and continue. If it’s red, you need to come to a full stop and treat it like a stop sign. 

IRL you have these "green waves" meaning that they are synced so you stop the less possible, specially when there's no traffic. Here you'd need to stop at every single corner. And besides, having to wait for a traffic light, in a game, when there's no traffic at all, it simply bothers me OOcly, would simply ruin my gaming experience.

4 minutes ago, Fergie said:

Depending on how you act and your driving record will often denote if you get a ticket. I rarely ticket someone who doesn’t give my character a BS reason for braking the traffic laws. Just be chill and honest and it usually works out in your favor. 

See? But they ticketed me, and not just one ticket, but 4 tickets for a total of 11K!!

43 minutes ago, Fergie said:

I have to disagree with a few things you’ve said. Firstly, traffic stops do take a while. 20 minutes? I find it hard to believe.

not sure why u find it hard to believe , every pd traffic stop ive been in takes 10-20 mins on average, sometimes longer. And if actually being arrested it can take like 40 mins up to hours. only time ive had a "fast" traffic stop was with SD, he even rped speaking with me and he literally gave me a note item of my ticket which he had to spend time making, but it was still faster than any time pd have ever stopped me, which usually consists of them in their car not typing a single rp or dialogue line;

• Upvote 1
  • Developer

Im not saying youre one of them, but speaking as a PD member and long time LEO Rper.

People drive like its a cops and robbers server, they take sharp turns, have complete disregeard if the lanes of travel, make uturns, they drive like they are drunk and generally run every intersection.

When I see this myself as a Cop I will always pull them over, depending on their record and past offences and behavior on the stop I either charge them all possible fines or I give them warnings. Yes a traffic stop takes time, usually 1-3 minutes to lookup the entire record, usually 3-5 minutes talking depending on how quick you type and the pulled over person types, and then another 2-5 writing the fines IC and explaining the procedure to appeal. Then after the stop a cop has to spend a good 5-10mins writing a traffic report but you shouldnt be kept on scene for that.

AND sometimes we have rookie new cops with us, teaching them takes time too.

• Pillsbury changed the title to PD Being too harsh in traffic stops
  • KV locked this topic