masks used over radios

arctic677

Just now, WolfieLULZ said:

It's an OOC text which has influence on IC role-play. If the feature is to be removed, there isn't any problem with it. I don't know why you're making this a big thing, to be honest. I'm not the one who started the discussion.

I gave my opinion on something which could be done following the discussion. Please stop saying: MASK is that, MASK is that.

The original reason is that MASK is out of place. You know it. So, honestly if it even changes, It doesn't have much influence on the RP except a bit more taste of realism.

If you let that OOC text influence your roleplay, you are potentially metagaming. 
I'm also giving my opinion on the matter where people consider masks to affect roleplay. It's the same thing with nametags, just because you can see them (like you can see MASK_XXXX on radio) doesn't mean you just say their name out. This after all is a discussion thread.

Just now, effion said:

If you let that OOC text influence your roleplay, you are potentially metagaming. 
I'm also giving my opinion on the matter where people consider masks to affect roleplay. It's the same thing with nametags, just because you can see them (like you can see MASK_XXXX on radio) doesn't mean you just say their name out. This after all is a discussion thread.

Influencing as in whatever said is to be taken from an anonymous source, not able to be traced or attained by any means.

If you use ANONYMOUS VOICE or MUFFLED VOICE (ID): X_X_X - It stays the same whatsoever. Just a bit of realistic in my opinion. MASKs are MASK. If a muffled voice due to wearing a /MASK/ is something then It's all good.

Secondly, changing it from MASK improves a variety of things. It's just out-of-place as I've said 100 times.

Just now, WolfieLULZ said:

Influencing as in whatever said is to be taken from an anonymous source, not able to be traced or attained by any means.

If you use ANONYMOUS VOICE or MUFFLED VOICE (ID): X_X_X - It stays the same whatsoever. Just a bit of realistic in my opinion. MASKs are MASK. If a muffled voice due to wearing a /MASK/ is something then It's all good.

Secondly, changing it from MASK improves a variety of things. It's just out-of-place as I've said 100 times.

We're going back and forth on the same thing. I already stated - 

9 minutes ago, effion said:

EDIT: /r should not have MASK at all. iirc masks aren't OOC and are only supposed to be worn when you have an actual mask on, bandana etc.

A mask can't change your voice, your way of talking. I think mask usage should be banned from radios & if a person thinks that the other party is metagaming, /report option is always available to use.

Some people use masks for trolling purposes.

I have another suggestion regarding radio frequency; the owner should be able to kick someone from the frequency or can set a password for the frequency.

Edited by Napier

What I would agree on, is this but also people that own some sort of company or organization that use radio for communications to have the ability to buy a certain slot and manage that slot. In a way that gives access to some people and doesn{t give access to others. It would be like a blank script and this would allow certain individuals to give access to others if the owner of the radio script isnt online. For example my trucking company needs to have private radios, like the PD department. 

47 minutes ago, Chuck Lee said:

What I would agree on, is this but also people that own some sort of company or organization that use radio for communications to have the ability to buy a certain slot and manage that slot. In a way that gives access to some people and doesn{t give access to others. It would be like a blank script and this would allow certain individuals to give access to others if the owner of the radio script isnt online. For example my trucking company needs to have private radios, like the PD department. 

I imagine if you roleplay modern digital radio system you’d be permitted to exercise enforceable control over it, don’t take my word for it though!

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

I imagine if you roleplay modern digital radio system you’d be permitted to exercise enforceable control over it, don’t take my word for it though!

I RP a VHF, installation only radios in all of our company vehicles. Something like PD has.

The purpose of masks is to hide your face so others don't recognize you that way, it has zero to do with your voice which is one of many other ways to recognize someone, especially if it's an acquaintance of yours, so for me it doesn't make much sense for there to be "MASK says" before your in-character text.

You could argue your voice would sound muffled and that is true in some cases, but for the most part, masks don't change your pitch, your speech rate, your tone, your loudness and plenty of other characteristics that help identifying someone's voice. (Ab)using masks to avoid these nuances is a powergaming-ish way to go and therefore it needs to be fixed. Voice changer devices were suggested above and I agree they should be a thing.

Edited by Shaderz