Admin interference during active RP situations

bonk

This suggestion concerns the general player base and administrators on how they perform their duties. Recently, and really as a whole on the server I've personally (and others too) have noticed an excessive amount of admin action during the midst of roleplay scenarios. This is mainly when someone has not been reported and it is for something small and minor, such as something from Rule 0.

I made this suggestion for one main crucial reason. Roleplay is not immersive when an admin interferes for the smallest of reasons ever, especially when roleplay is not even being interrupted that much. Roleplay should flow and be streamlined, not paused every few minutes for an issue no one really asked an administrator to investigate/is important at all.

Obviously, if it's a really critical scenario where someone is Mass DM'ing, clearly trolling, powergaming etc the admins should intervene and do what they need to do, but if its during a middle a pursuit or shootout where nothing important is being broken let it stream out and then deal with it after.

This rule mainly has to do with Rule 0, as much as I love it because it promotes realistic character roleplay, sometimes you just gotta let people do their roleplay instead of having it paused every time, if that makes sense.

I agree with this - Rule 0 is a great rule but there's just been too many times roleplay has had to be stopped during the situation. Best to save it for after, unless there's something that requires the scene to be stopped right there and then (e.g. suspect in a pursuit is driving unrealistically recklessly)

Edited by Matthew
  • Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I agree with this - Rule 0 is a great rule but there's just been too many times roleplay has had to be stopped during the situation. Best to save it for after, unless there's something that requires the scene to be stopped right there and then (e.g. suspect in a pursuit is driving unrealistically recklessly)

Precisely this.

That person's actions could also be disturbing other people's roleplay. Just because you do not mind — doesn't mean that others don't mind, too.

Additionally, the rule is in place and it functions very well. I'm not too sure what this suggestion is proposing, either, since the wording isn't exactly clear. Are you proposing to remove Rule 0? Are you asking admins for less administrative intervention? Are you asking for a different way to handle things?

There's no blanket way to handle things, because a blanket solution is not a solution at all.

Additionally, I think it's fine the way it is. Just the other day, I wasted around half an hour roleplaying with somebody, just for them to end up getting banned a few minutes after the scene was concluded.

Dragging out a scene, then somebody getting punished and making me feel like I've wasted my time and have done nothing fun or productive doesn't jive with me very well. I'd rather administrators intervene when intervention is needed, otherwise it breeds a "will do it later" kind of culture which is detrimental to the administrative side of things. Procrastination is addicting.

I believe it is rather impossible to wait for administrative staff to wait for a convenient time that suits all parties present while also dealing with other incoming reports. We sadly do not have the comfort of spending hours spectating a specific individual before approaching them, given there is quite the workload.

I do however also believe most small infractions can be dealt with by private messaging the involved player you need to speak to instead of halting their roleplay. I believe halting active roleplay is reserved for issues requiring intervention due to pressing issues.

I am dearly sorry if you perceive your roleplay as ruined by administrative intervention, but hope you understand the other side of the story here as well. Restricting our ability to deal with issues so you need not to wait a few minutes sometimes will help no one but yourself and those meaning ill.

Thanks for suggesting something with a better playing experience on mind, though.

It's a good suggestion and it's hard to enforce but it must become a habit to contact the player through PM instead of teleporting to solve the issue, or at least remaining invisible and teleporting.

I'll try to push some internal discussion about this.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Wirbelwind said:

That person's actions could also be disturbing other people's roleplay. Just because you do not mind — doesn't mean that others don't mind, too.

Additionally, the rule is in place and it functions very well. I'm not too sure what this suggestion is proposing, either, since the wording isn't exactly clear. Are you proposing to remove Rule 0? Are you asking admins for less administrative intervention? Are you asking for a different way to handle things?

There's no blanket way to handle things, because a blanket solution is not a solution at all.

Additionally, I think it's fine the way it is. Just the other day, I wasted around half an hour roleplaying with somebody, just for them to end up getting banned a few minutes after the scene was concluded.

Dragging out a scene, then somebody getting punished and making me feel like I've wasted my time and have done nothing fun or productive doesn't jive with me very well. I'd rather administrators intervene when intervention is needed, otherwise it breeds a "will do it later" kind of culture which is detrimental to the administrative side of things. Procrastination is addicting.

No, I am very much for Rule 0. By this suggestion I mean when a player has not been reported by anyone, and is not heavily disturbing roleplay, like for example someone driving around the same block over and over and over again in a pursuit, yes it's quite unrealistic but unless if that player has been reported the admin should not stop the whole entire roleplay scenario to deal with it, a PM is more than suffice if it's clear they're being a nuisance.

Sorry about my wording, I wrote it up quite quickly and it was late, hopefully that cleared up any confusion.

4 hours ago, lambchops said:

I believe it is rather impossible to wait for administrative staff to wait for a convenient time that suits all parties present while also dealing with other incoming reports. We sadly do not have the comfort of spending hours spectating a specific individual before approaching them, given there is quite the workload.

I do however also believe most small infractions can be dealt with by private messaging the involved player you need to speak to instead of halting their roleplay. I believe halting active roleplay is reserved for issues requiring intervention due to pressing issues.

I am dearly sorry if you perceive your roleplay as ruined by administrative intervention, but hope you understand the other side of the story here as well. Restricting our ability to deal with issues so you need not to wait a few minutes sometimes will help no one but yourself and those meaning ill.

Thanks for suggesting something with a better playing experience on mind, though.

I totally understand that you guys can't just spectate a scene for thirty to an hour so everything is done to deal with it, I get that. However, this is for mind when a player hasn't really been reported, but an admin has to intervene in it anyway, as you and Nervous said a private message should be in mind of the admin rather than pausing the whole roleplay scenario.

Edited by bonk
4 minutes ago, bonk said:

No, I am very much for Rule 0. By this suggestion I mean when a player has not been reported by anyone, and is not heavily disturbing roleplay, like for example someone driving around the same block over and over and over again in a pursuit, yes it's quite unrealistic but unless if that player has been reported the admin should not stop the whole entire roleplay scenario to deal with it, a PM is more than suffice if it's clear they're being a nuisance.

Sorry about my wording, I wrote it up quite quickly and it was late, hopefully that cleared up any confusion.

I totally understand that you guys can't just spectate a scene for thirty to an hour so everything is done to deal with it, I get that. However, this is for mind when a player hasn't really been reported, but an admin has to intervene in it anyway, as you and Nervous said a private message should be in mind of the admin rather than pausing the whole roleplay scenario.

Hi, the player in question was indeed reported.

Just now, HaveADream said:

Hi, the player in question was indeed reported.

All good man, I hope you know this suggestion wasn't particularly aimed towards you but I've noticed it quite a lot on my own.

Sorry again if you felt targeted, that was just an example of a minor thing someone could have done.

Just now, bonk said:

All good man, I hope you know this suggestion wasn't particularly aimed towards you but I've noticed it quite a lot on my own.

Sorry again if you felt targeted, that was just an example of a minor thing someone could have done.

The truth is, as Lambchops said, reports stack up and there may only be one or two admins dealing with reports at any given time, there are things that usually happen prior to stopping RP that isn't immediately obvious (such as speccing and so on, in that exact situation I specced and on my screen he was ramming the pursuing vehicles and didn't respond to a PM), but ultimately, as disappointing as it is to stop RP and bring people out of immersion and, believe me when I say it's the last thing admins want to do as it has a tendency to drag out a situation, sometimes it is the path of least resistance.

I do agree with the premise that admin intervention should be limited in reports and be done privately where possible as to not intrude on RP, but I don't think it's a problem as easily solved as that.

• mj2002 locked this topic