Removed L&A

Lucie

Just now, navarrette said:

if you RP in a violent environment such as a criminal network, then you should expect some sort of violent RP to come your way

Let's see movies for example. Even violent movies move the camera away when there's a extreme violent scene. I'm not talking about a hit, a punch or shooting someone, I'm talking about more detailed and perverted things. I do expect some sort of violent RP to come, but there should be a line between a normal violent RP and an extreme one. Besides, sometimes violence is needed storywise, but it doesnt mean you need to /me with a lot of details extreme violent RP

Getting your head dunked in a toilet is not extreme violence, that's like middle schoolers giving someone a swirly. ?

If even mild and overall harmless intimidation tactics are too extreme for you to be around, the solution is to find RP elsewhere, not try to take RP away from everyone else on the server.

• Upvote 1

I think the rules in place are perfectly fine the way they are.  Violence happens.  Beatings are bound to happen.  There's a difference between these, and doing very detailed RP that is without question sordid and sinister and meant to showcase the depravity of human beings.  If you're getting exposed to something that makes you uncomfortable but doesn't quite fall under the umbrella of our rules, then maybe the type of RP you're doing isn't for you.  

It is important to really reflect on it though whether or not the RP itself makes you uncomfortable, or if it's the attachment to your character going through something negative that you don't like. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Ellix said:

Getting your head dunked in a toilet is not extreme violence, that's like middle schoolers giving someone a swirly. ?

I don't know where did you go to school, but I never saw that happening on mine, at all. If someone did that they'd have been expelled to be honest. I guess this suggestion should be locked if people are against it. I was only giving a point of view. 

Just now, navarrette said:

if you RP in a violent environment such as a criminal network, then you should expect some sort of violent RP to come your way

Problem is that not everyone roleplays "in a violent environment." I've been fortunate to personally avoid any excessively violent roleplay on my character, but my character has also made it relatively difficult to make her a victim. It's not uncommon for legal roleplayers to be subjected to graphic or excessive violence/abuse by criminal characters.

I think the attitude of telling this player who has clearly been made really uncomfortable that she/he is playing the wrong game is incredibly elitist and inconsiderate. After 15 years of GTA roleplay, and about 18 years total of roleplay, I can say for a fact that some roleplayers (usually because of a lack of power or control in their lives, or because of frustrations about their own insecurities and deficiencies) love to roleplay out aggressive power fantasies on other people. In GTA, you'll frequently see roleplayers whose characters take great delight in humiliating and tormenting people they have momentary power of. You can just be minding your own business as a "normal person" and this guy comes up with a gun to rob you, then decides to kidnap you. Your character is stuck following this person around because you have to RP fear of the gun, and you have no IC way of escaping unless rescued. 

Players should have the right to say "sorry this is too much for me, can we tone it back or FTB" when things cross a line. Yes, there are people in real life who behave in nasty ways to people. But out of respect to your fellow roleplayers you should seek permission, more importantly, cool it the fuck down if your RP is making someone uncomfortable. This is supposed to be fun, and no player has to sit there and subject themselves to your power fantasy.

In the case of the faction which has now posted three roleplays in which their members dunk people's heads into toilets and/or piss on them, that to me is pretty clearly an excessive roleplay, and I have a feeling that the players responsible for it might even be satisfying a fetish of their own. Either way if someone asks, then fucking stop.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1