Turn .. into ...

Kipps

40 minutes ago, Maple said:

Let's stay on topic boys.

Tree has a valid point. How do we know if the player meant to type '.' and their finger slipped or if they are illiterate and meant to indicate an omission (of words) or a pause?

From what I've seen, most people who use .. mean to use an ellipsis - and the number of people who use .. when they meant to just use a period is a small minority.

The small minority are already making an unintentional typo in the current system - and they'll be doing the same in the new system - so it won't make a difference to them. But it will help the majority of players who make this mistake because they don't know what the punctuation mark is supposed to look like and think that .. is standard in writing.

Edited by Kipps

30 minutes ago, Kipps said:

From what I've seen, most people who use .. mean to use an ellipsis - and the number of people who use .. when they meant to just use a period is a small minority.

The small minority are already making an unintentional typo in the current system - and they'll be doing the same in the new system - so it won't make a difference to them. But it will help the majority of players who make this mistake because they don't know what the punctuation mark is supposed to look like and think that .. is standard in writing.

I wouldn't like this suggestion, because my finger does often slip. My fingers are kinda shaky, so it happens. With other letters, I see it and can correct it before pressing enter, but since the full stop is at the end of the sentence, I often miss it. 

Thing is, ".." can be understood as a typo, but "..." can in no way be understood as anything else than an ellipsis. So, my character's intonation would now be a whole bit different. I mean, I guess I can correct it in /b, but I wouldn't like it.

Another thing is that I really, really dislike how people are so fixated on the tiny things in people's writing. As long as the message gets across, I don't see the problem. The -... thing, for example. It's brought an issue along with it. Wcannot use cursive in the chat, so there's no way to indicate emphasis. Some people do /this/, which in my opinion looks weird, and I've always done -this-. There's no grammatically correct way. But now, -this- when put at the end of a sentence becomes -this—, because they didn't take into account that -. is not the same as -... even though I've never, ever, ever seen anyone use -. to indicate an interruption, which is what -... was used for.

Finally, come ooon, does it really matter that much? I like your dramatic post, sure, but honestly, who cares? Why do you care? Two dots instead of three, so what? Also, what if they mess it up like they did the last one, and turn '...' into '.....' because they see the '..' in '...'? Sure, they could fix it, but they still haven't fixed the -. issue, so would they? Nah. Nah, they wouldn't. 

EDIT: One thing that I think is FAR more important is ~. The little wiggly line? People use that to sound, I dunno, sexy? Cute? I dunno? What does it mean? Hey, you big hunk of ass~, how are you~, owo~, what's this~, like, what is it? What does it mean? 

Edited by Hugh-Gi-Oh

Had a massive reply written up that explained all my points but post-bump wiped the majority of it so fuck it, shitty brief version. 

Don't rely on automated systems, slippery slope. 

Using hyphens for -emphasis- (which is perfectly acceptable in creative writing) was screwed by the "-.."  em dash replacement because "-." got caught in the crossfire, want to end a sentence with heavy emphasis on the last word using hyphens? Tough shit bubba. 

"Just use a pair of /slashes/ for emphasis." they'll say, until you meet the people who'll tell you asterisks should be used to *emphasize* words instead, do we get an automated system for that next? So much for creative writing, where's the line?

What's the point in having the server branded as a heavy ENGLISH RP server with a strict-ass application system if when you join all your English mistakes are fixed for you? 

No support, hypocritical suggestion that seems to wanna fix "laziness" and "ignorance" while allowing people to stay lazy and ignorant. 

Spoiler

Off-ish-topic for clarification, ERP is fine, I doooooo not give a fuck, mocking someone for their grammar because they weren't born in a native English country because hehehaha 95% of the GTAW community are unoriginal and make the same ERP and -.. jokes day in day out just cause everybodyelsedoeseventhoughtheydidn'tcareayearagoandallthisisafad, isn't. ??? i apologize for having respect for people trying their best and not basically bullying people for misunderstanding grammer but HEY, HEHE -.. 

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Using hyphens for -emphasis- (which is perfectly acceptable in creative writing) was screwed by the "-.."  em dash replacement because "-." got caught in the crossfire, want to end a sentence with heavy emphasis on the last word using hyphens? Tough shit bubba. 

The '-.' issue was never brought to my attention. I'll fix that when I'm back.

The '-..' script was mostly a bad joke from my part but we ended up sticking with it. We'll likely not have any other forced 'fixes' in the future.

Locked on that note.

• Upvote 1
  • Maple locked this topic