Turn .. into ...

Kipps

Slippery slope, you'll want text to be capitalized at the start of sentences and automated full stops next, no support from me.

If someone's having a problem with their grammar just shoot them a PM and let them know. 

"It'll also help out newer players who might otherwise fall into bad writing habits." is bullshit because you're reinforcing lazy grammar by allowing them to use an automated system as a crutch, "-.." I can understand because it translates to a proper em dash symbol but ".." translating to "..." is finishing their text/emotes for them and I'd argue way worse for a newer players learning experience.

Once again and in the most respectful way possible, grow some balls and make contact with people who you see struggling with grammar, not laugh and joke about people misunderstanding grammar in your little friendship groups, not only is it unfunny low hanging fruit along the same old jokes about ERPing but it's also counterproductive and doesn't help new players, I can tell you from experience people messaging me and helping me in areas I struggled with did way more for me than petty members of the community with a RP superiority complex.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2
16 hours ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Slippery slope, you'll want text to be capitalized at the start of sentences and automated full stops next, no support from me.

If someone's having a problem with their grammar just shoot them a PM and let them know. 

"It'll also help out newer players who might otherwise fall into bad writing habits." is bullshit because you're reinforcing lazy grammar by allowing them to use an automated system as a crutch, "-.." I can understand because it translates to a proper em dash symbol but ".." translating to "..." is finishing their text/emotes for them and I'd argue way worse for a newer players learning experience.

Once again and in the most respectful way possible, grow some balls and make contact with people who you see struggling with grammar, not laugh and joke about people misunderstanding grammar in your little friendship groups, not only is it unfunny low hanging fruit along the same old jokes about ERPing but it's also counterproductive and doesn't help new players, I can tell you from experience people messaging me and helping me in areas I struggled with did way more for me than petty members of the community with a RP superiority complex.

I have no issue telling people what they're doing is wrong - this thread is literally that.

And you've read this thread where I've done that and then replied to ask why I've not done it. It's bizarre. 

If I wanted automatic full stops and capitalization, I would've suggested that. But I didn't and I don't. 

This suggestion is to correct a very simple and persistent issue which has endured despite me telling people about it over and over for ages. We have had more than ten years of GTA roleplay and this has always been an issue, no matter who's told what. Correct it and I can then focus on giving people advice about the actually substantive stuff - and not just small punctuation mistakes. 

I don't care if you're mad about people for joking about ERP. It's kind of inherently funny to a lot of people. And if we stop joking about ERP, next you'll want us to stop joking about anything. Slippery slope. (As an aside, it's awesome that possibly the most humourless post on these forums, which includes a po-faced paragraph about people being mean about ERP, is accusing everybody else of not being funny enough.)

I'm not trying to get into your weird ERP versus non ERP culture war, I'm just trying to help people out with a system that will teach them to avoid a single enduringly bad  punctuation error - that's it. 

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

The fact you threw the ERP argument in there already says a lot.  Where's the superiority complex? This literally only fixes one of the most common grammar misconceptions in most communities.  If those guys didn't pay attention in class when they were taught how to properly use an ellipsis, what makes you think they'll listen to you? Unless they're coming from a 3rd world country where there's no education I doubt they've never been taught that in school; it's just them being lazy.

Anyways, supporting this, I don't see how this is negative in any way, this is a roleplay server not Duolingo, I shouldn't have to PM everyone who can't punctuate properly.

I legit fail to see why people could be against this, unless you're too stubborn to realise that you fall in the "-.. or .." user category.

Edited by Sergi
  • Maple locked this topic