Things from old LSRP you'd like to see here

Lucie

So I'm going to say nothing.

And not because I think LSRP was bad or anything, but for a completely different reason.

What I would actually like to see over everything else is people taking their experiences from their time on there, or MTA or whatever platform you came from, and instead of trying to relive that nostalgia in whatever character or faction you were in or had - make something new. Make something using the knowledge that you've accrued over the years of playing, your techniques, you character traits that you've found yourself able to play the best, and use that to make a good character that is impactful to the server.

All of these RP servers work specifically on moving forward and evolving with the times. And what I tend to see most of the out of the hardcore LSRP veterans is not an evolution at all, but an attempt to recapture something that was amazing on their previous server. And frankly speaking, you'll never do it as well as you did, because at the time you didn't know it was great until you looked back at it. And all of that is completely understandable. We have characters and experiences we're all fond of. And I'm not saying everyone does it, but a lot of people do, and I think that given the amount of experience and wealth of knowledge that dwells on this server, it's actually holding it back to try to and recreate all that instead of stepping forth with something new.

Features are features. They'll come in time or they won't. It's all still very young in terms of operational length. But as far as characters and factions go, that's about my two cents on it.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 4
24 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

All of these RP servers work specifically on moving forward and evolving with the times. And what I tend to see most of the out of the hardcore LSRP veterans is not an evolution at all, but an attempt to recapture something that was amazing on their previous server.

I've been roleplaying on GTA since the beginning, and I'd say the last half of all that time  marked an era where the community as a whole seemed to always be chasing the glory days of something or another. So much of roleplay in GTA became derivative of someone else's innovations. Someone would come forth and blaze a new trail, and then for the next 5 years people would seek to emulate their success over and over again, constantly pining for how things used to be while they sought to copy their threads, their screenshots, their mannerisms, their character stories, their styles. 

On every new GTA RP community, you hear people making suggestions based on how things were on previous communities. You hear people piping into discussions comparing things happening to what happened on other communities. You see people comparing factions to previous ones. 

And that has always been the greatest weakness of GTA RP communities. A conservative, backwards-thinking myopia yearning always to recapture someone else's example. While I think GTA:W has made leaps and bounds on this, it's worth constantly keeping in mind Saint Bateman's words above: set a new path. Do something new. Stop thinking about how things were on other communities and what worked there. This is different. We have every single opportunity available to use to roleplay as has never been done before on SAMP, MTA, or GTA V. Our possibilities are infinite and are bound only by us thinking of RP strictly in terms of how it was on SAMP: Cops, gangs, mafias, EMS, news factions, taxis, mechanics. 

• Applaud 2

I hope that server management learn the lesson of not restricting every aspect of the server. LSRP management began implementing rules and regulations against everything that completely stifled any form of creativity, meaning role play just became a stale experience of the same things. Any form of business that provided passive income became state owned because they hated the idea of people not having to do anything for money (argued that it was to help combat inflation, but definitely more effective measures). Weapons and drugs, arguably the most important factor of a GTA game, became so controlled by out of character forces (and terribly at that point - the opposite happened of what they aimed for) that it resulted in people using OOC connections or buying them using real money. Faction management (legal and illegal) was a good concept when first implemented, but became driven by the agendas of people resulting in some pretty stupid decisions being made that killed the playerbase at times. Likewise, faction role play became completely regulated with their being rules about everything a faction could or could not do. Businesses and properties became a mainly forum-based activity, which led to OOC influence and a reliance on admins which itself had issues related to the nature of availability.

Basically, I hope management make a conscious effort to not always step in to solve issues that people complain about. Just because people complain about something, does not mean it needs to be an issue fixed by regulations, but rather allow players to explore solutions. Creativity is the most important aspect of a RP game, and regulation can sometimes kill that by forcing people into particular paths, without even realising it.

• Upvote 1