The new renting system

mj2002

To kick off the discussions;

Update 1.9.5b

Additions

• Property tenants system has been updated to improve the roleplay quality around property rentals
    • Automatic rent payment is now disabled : You'll need to set up an IC contract with your tenants and meet them for an IC payment / require a regular bank transfer
    • Added /givepropertykey
    • Added /removepropertykey
    • Previous tenant system is still compatible with the new one : your current tenants will still be here
    • Property Management can now set a maximum amount of tenants in your property
  • You can now own up to 2 residential properties maximum, this limit can be increased by Property Management (especially for real estate managers)
  • The business bonus for properties such as bars, night clubs etc will now directly be linked to the business instead of the property, and will be shown in the transaction log
  • Automatic inactivity kick has been re-enabled for multi-interiors
  • Multi-interiors properties' interiors can now be freely changed and furnished, within realistic sizes of your apartment / building

Fixes

• Fixed a bug where employees in a faction weren't able to park business vehicles

Couple of points for discussion. How does this relate to scamming rules? Can you kick someone out of the apartment before their rental period expires? What if you cannot agree on the repayment of the rent? Does this go to IC court? Sounds like it could be prohibitive for renters to get their money back through courts if the landlord decides to kick you out soon after you paid the rent.

Another thing, hopefully this results in a bunch of apartments and houses that are currently being rented out, coming back onto the market by landlords who don't like the idea of the new system where they have to do more work. Or does it work the other way around and everyone wants to rent out because they think they can fetch more with weekly or monthly payments? Thoughts?

Edited by mj2002
30 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Couple of points for discussion. How does this relate to scamming rules? Can you kick someone out of the apartment before their rental period expires? What if you cannot agree on the repayment of the rent? Does this go to IC court? Sounds like it could be prohibitive for renters to get their money back through courts if the landlord decides to kick you out soon after you paid the rent.

What you wrote here will be completely dependent upon the contract written between the tenant and the landlord and the government's Tenant's protection Act (Which I assume might be put into effect on the arrival of the new government after the elections, who knows) that will protect tenants from any wrongful evictions. Until the government is established to pass on new legislation and acts, the contract is what determines all the terms between both parties, and their consent (aka signature) is what enforces it in courts. 

Edited by Radhwan
  • Upvote 1

I am actually also interested in how this will work for scamming, since you can't scam for properties or such, but if you refuse to pay your rent, are you scamming for property or scamming to use a property, and if so, what would the difference between the two be? 

10 minutes ago, Artz said:

I am actually also interested in how this will work for scamming, since you can't scam for properties or such, but if you refuse to pay your rent, are you scamming for property or scamming to use a property, and if so, what would the difference between the two be? 

If you refuse to pay your rent, you can be evicted.

/removepropertykey

I realize that, but is it against the scamming rules to do so, since you acquire the use of a property? I know you're not getting the property, simply the use of it - but is that enough to warrant scamming for property or how will it be?

6 hours ago, Artz said:

I realize that, but is it against the scamming rules to do so, since you acquire the use of a property? I know you're not getting the property, simply the use of it - but is that enough to warrant scamming for property or how will it be?

I wouldn’t frame it that way.  You could make the case that a holdover or squatter (occupying the property rent-free) is scamming the landlord, but not by their use of the property; rather, they are scamming the landlord out of the cost to rent.  I would frame it as a loss of the rental income.

Whether or not this should come under the scamming rules requires a value judgment — is it important enough?  If it should, it might also require a threshold (e.g. one specifying that having  $50,000 cumulatively of unpaid rent constitutes scamming).

Either way, I think the scamming rule should be abolished; it is not necessary because there is recourse to IC resolution.  If a scammer happens to OOC evade those mechanisms — for example, by changing their character’s or UCP name  — they should be punished for powergaming and / or metagaming.  Otherwise, resolving allegations of fraud or deceit should be the province of IC courts. 

I agree with Radhwan that now that the rental system has been overhauled, the legislature needs to act and legislate.  Without legislation, those seeking to rent are at the mercy of the market and — except for unconscionable bargains — the court is not left with much room to maintain standards.  Legislation will provide minimum standards and establish rights for those in the rental market. 

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
20 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

But can you legally evict somebody on your own? 

Until the law says otherwise, yes. All you need to be fair about is the contractual obligations with the renter.

I don't see a particular need for a law like this either. Regulations regarding evictions aren't relevant in GTAW because being homeless has no immediate negative consequences for your character's well being.

Edited by mj2002
  • mj2002 locked this topic