What do you wanna see from gang RP?

Sixth

9 minutes ago, Shekh said:

wdym by this? If you expect a teen gang banger to rp getting depression because they shot someone from a rival gang that they hate, then you needa educate urself on gangs in LA. OFC if you mass murder people it might affect your mind, but if a gang banger shoots someone from the rival gang it is a daily occcurance and they are desensitized to it so they wont go home and cry into a mirror, it might not even stay in their head for too long at all.

As a matter of fact, I worked at a law office that used to get criminal cases, most of them drug trafficking and murder. You'd be surprised by the amount of gang members that are affected about taking a life. Not the way you're talking about, crying in mirror and everything. But they do feel it in the most weird ways as possible. You may not be familiar with this reality on your day time but I used to interview and talk to these people to find the best outcome possible for their case. There are some broken minds here and there? There are. But not most of them just got out the other day acting like it's just another day on the job. I've seen GOOD gang roleplayers doing that and props to them. To the ones that log in from nine to five just for some action and thrill? I want them to be less robotic about it.

Just saying my piece of experience here, zero intentions to start a pointless discussion about this.

19 minutes ago, joaoivis said:

As a matter of fact, I worked at a law office that used to get criminal cases, most of them drug trafficking and murder. You'd be surprised by the amount of gang members that are affected about taking a life. Not the way you're talking about, crying in mirror and everything. But they do feel it in the most weird ways as possible. You may not be familiar with this reality on your day time but I used to interview and talk to these people to find the best outcome possible for their case. There are some broken minds here and there? There are. But not most of them just got out the other day acting like it's just another day on the job. I've seen GOOD gang roleplayers doing that and props to them. To the ones that log in from nine to five just for some action and thrill? I want them to be less robotic about it.

Just saying my piece of experience here, zero intentions to start a pointless discussion about this.

I agree that it will take a toll on ur mental health, but in the form of anger and supressed feelings not depression.

I agree that it should be rped though, I just thought you meant they should RP being very emotional and dramatic every time they kill someone as i've seen people make that claim before. We seem to agree though , I also believe it should be RPed ?

Edited by Shekh

Apparently we have to get EDUCATED on gang culture. As if anyone in here is part of a gang irl and why not RP it as well. Gang members have emotions too. They fear going to jail, they regret killing at time, and they get PTSD from murder once they try it. But yeah, my main suggestion is, RP FEAR. At least against mobs or any organized crime group that normally and realistically can obliterate and exterminate a gang. If you're 14-15 y/o and you get bitchslapped by a man three times your size, then RP that, instead of pulling out a marvelous and heroic comeback on someone you shouldn't.

Edited by Gambler
1 hour ago, Gambler said:

Apparently we have to get EDUCATED on gang culture.

Yes, you really do.

Gang culture, mob culture and criminal culture in general is very commonly misunderstood. This because media regularly romanticize the lifestyle of these people giving us the public a poor understanding of how these groups actually operate and interact. Not to mention the countless former criminal talking heads who spit bullshit about the former life they lived on TV and youtube.

This leads to a misunderstanding of criminal organizations and quite frankly paints them all with incredibly broad strokes. The truth is, not every Crip or Blood set operates and acts the same. Mexican gangs, specifically sureno gangs have a whole different culture then they're African American counterparts, these organizations are not the same and to lump them together and say "Gang RPers should do this or Gang RPers should do that" without understanding the specific history and culture behind each individual gang is quite frankly, moronic.

I'll close with your argument about 14/15 year olds RPing fear. It is very important to understand that these children grow up in an entirely different world then I'll assume you or I. They have grown up in a community where violence is the norm, a community where most of the big names coming out of it have a criminal past. Wrong or right, these individuals are looked up to and the stories they tell only influences the minds of the younger generation. While many of you are right about how the "OG's" of the 70's, 80's and early 90's wouldn't settle ever dispute with a gun. That does not change the fact that shootings have quickly become the preferred and almost sole tactic to handle disputes.

At the end of the day, all those kids are trying to impress or at the very least not look weak in front their friends. This is they're life, this is what they grow up around. The sad truth is, the quickest way to become billy bad ass on the block is to shoot somebody. Plain and simple.

As much as I enjoy shooting compilations, it sometimes leads me to believe that these conflicts and PK wars are treated and carried out very nonchalantly. I think changing the culture on how conflict escalation and wars are handled and thought of would help improve RP and overall portrayal. 

20 hours ago, joaoivis said:

I'm sure this is a reality. However most players in the server kill here and there like it's nothing. They don't actually roleplay the effects that they have on the persona. I think they don't know what effects killing someone has on the mind and personality because they never experienced irl. I think a good way is to educate people, maybe, creating a guide on what effects can appear after killing someone.

People in the hood around here experienced severly paranoia after having a fight with a rival gang but most of the people assume beating someone is a normal thing for gangbangers. Sure you can use drugs that blind your emotions but still, atleast your drug usage will increase because you won't be able to deal with those thoughts.

In my opinion, fighting/killing someone and it's effects should be investigated. And someone should make a guide (if isn't there any already) about the effects on the mind, personality and development of the persona.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Henning said:

Yes, you really do.

Gang culture, mob culture and criminal culture in general is very commonly misunderstood. This because media regularly romanticize the lifestyle of these people giving us the public a poor understanding of how these groups actually operate and interact. Not to mention the countless former criminal talking heads who spit bullshit about the former life they lived on TV and youtube.

This leads to a misunderstanding of criminal organizations and quite frankly paints them all with incredibly broad strokes. The truth is, not every Crip or Blood set operates and acts the same. Mexican gangs, specifically sureno gangs have a whole different culture then they're African American counterparts, these organizations are not the same and to lump them together and say "Gang RPers should do this or Gang RPers should do that" without understanding the specific history and culture behind each individual gang is quite frankly, moronic.

I'll close with your argument about 14/15 year olds RPing fear. It is very important to understand that these children grow up in an entirely different world then I'll assume you or I. They have grown up in a community where violence is the norm, a community where most of the big names coming out of it have a criminal past. Wrong or right, these individuals are looked up to and the stories they tell only influences the minds of the younger generation. While many of you are right about how the "OG's" of the 70's, 80's and early 90's wouldn't settle ever dispute with a gun. That does not change the fact that shootings have quickly become the preferred and almost sole tactic to handle disputes.

At the end of the day, all those kids are trying to impress or at the very least not look weak in front their friends. This is they're life, this is what they grow up around. The sad truth is, the quickest way to become billy bad ass on the block is to shoot somebody. Plain and simple.

Exactly... This and the fact that people don't seem to understand that gangs exist in all environments.

8 hours ago, Gambler said:

Apparently we have to get EDUCATED on gang culture. As if anyone in here is part of a gang irl and why not RP it as well. Gang members have emotions too. They fear going to jail, they regret killing at time, and they get PTSD from murder once they try it. But yeah, my main suggestion is, RP FEAR. At least against mobs or any organized crime group that normally and realistically can obliterate and exterminate a gang. If you're 14-15 y/o and you get bitchslapped by a man three times your size, then RP that, instead of pulling out a marvelous and heroic comeback on someone you shouldn't.

Since this was lowkey a rebuttal to one of my responses to you, I'm just going to put out there that I told you to 'get educated' on gang rp when you went onto the Culver City Boys 13 (An excellent faction that provides our community with a flawless portrayal of a Westside Los Angeles street gang) claiming that they shouldn't be in Vespucci for some reason, despite the fact that anyone who even bothers to google 'culver city boys 13' will notice that they're a street gang from the beach area of LA and exist there along with a multitude of other gangs (such as crips, surenos, tagger crews, ms-13, 18st and skinheads)

So yes. If you're gonna try to tell factions what they should and shouldn't be RPing whilst not being part of any kind of FM offshoot? You should get educated on gangs before you try to open your mouth. Why? Because 99% of these gang factions, especially those that are in West Los Santos (Culver City, 18st, the Skinheads and MS-13) put in countless hours of research and other things so that we can portray said street gangs as realistically as possible, so we don't particularly appreciate it when those who know nothing come onto our threads spouting nonsense that they don't know the first thing about.

As far as being a 14 y/o gang member goes, no gang member no matter his age is going to take being 'slapped' by a grown man like he's a girl. He'd get clowned to no end by his fellow gang members and pretty much everybody (His friends, his family, even his girl) would likely try him, simply for the fact that he was too scared to do something when somebody older than him hit him.

If a 14 y/o gang member was to swing back at somebody older than him, he'd realistically be roleplaying fear. He doesn't want to look like a pussy and to be treated like shit by his fellow gang members if he doesn't even TRY to do something. If some 17 year old gang member named Orlando Anderson was ballsy enough to shoot Tupac's car up on the Las Vegas Strip in 1996 and murder him over something as simple as being jumped outside of a Mike Tyson fight, what's unrealistic about an adolescent thug fighting back against somebody that's older than him?

The 14 y/o likely knows he's gonna get his ass beat by said older person, but he has no choice but to fight back or to forever look like a bitch to his peers. Which is why I say that people who talk about gang RP need to get educated on gangs and their culture. You may have fantasies of slapping 14 y/o gang members in the face while your character's a grown man and may very well believe that nothing would happen to you if you did such a thing in real life, but you're tripping if you think that 14 y/o gang member is gonna ignore the fact he was slapped in the face on the basis of age.

There's 14 year old gang members (even gang members who are younger) out there who will absolutely riddle you with bullets and leave you on the side of the road in a gutter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sandifer

So, it's also an issue on the civilian/other side of things. What makes somebody's adult character (who, being an adult likely understands that there's various street gangs in his vary city that could cause his demise if he didn't act respectfully.) brave enough to walk into a gang's territory and bitchslap a gang member? That would only end in one of three things in real life. Said adult would be viciously jumped by every single gang member in the area, he'd be stabbed or shot and or possibly murdered. Fear roleplay goes both ways, regardless of age.

Your average 16 year old gang member for all YOU know might be more cold hearted than you care to realize, or he might be extremely scared of how he'll be treated within his gang or simply by his peers if he doesn't respond to being bitchslapped by an adult with violence. The types of people who join street gangs come from a type of environment where the only thing you have in your life is RESPECT, and if that's taken away from you by ANYBODY, you've got to stand up for yours and do something to whoever disrespected you, if not? Like I said, everybody would try them, everybody would think they're just another punk that can be pushed around and extorted.

For example in my current MS-13 faction, there was a member who refused to punch a girl who was attacking him during his jump in. He received no type of status within the gang despite his jump in simply because of the fact that his IC principles stopped him from punching a female gang member. Gang life is an extremely savage culture, especially amongst gangs like MS-13 and 18th Street where you're literally required via gang rules to do everything and anything you're told to do by your superiors, or you'll be disciplined or worse.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Upvote 1

Less violence, more ghetto community events. I remember that on LSRP, on one of my characters, I created a community shelter at El Corona where gang members could drink, play games and socialize. Was just adding a little flavor, a break from their typical gang rp. I'd also like to see more civiliar rp at south ls, interacting with the gangs

• Fenrir locked this topic