What do you wanna see from gang RP?

Sixth

What I would like to see overall from Gang roleplayers and people interacting with gangs is a margin of error where both parties could agree that the roleplay did not go down the way it was intended which leads to some unintended consequences for players OOC'ly. I'm sure there are /MANY/ scenarios where if they could void government involvement (Cops rolling up to a scene early) to better re-roleplay the scenario (because maybe a user didn't know how to /giveitem or wasn't sure the rules of a robbery and wanted to make sure everything was within limits before handing over their cash etc etc) that many users would prefer the slight inconvenience of a void to fully realize the potential of a roleplay. All in all I would like to see /ALL/ users, not just gang related, offer more compassion and understanding to the person playing the character. Wether it be from robberies not going the way people intended to Civs rudely leaving establishments after not being /IMMEDIATELY/ served. A bit more leniency of Common Courtesy across all users would go a very long way.

Edited by Jedbediah
24 minutes ago, Jedbediah said:

Can you point to the part in the report that says the retracted? Because it isn't there. I see them saying that "We're not looking for punishment, we're just seeking that admins verify that there was reasonable excuse for them to act the way they did." which from the very limited view we have is quite frankly laughably abhorrent. Gunning down four sets of officers in broad daylight... the report is quite reasonably justified because without serious backup there is no reasonable outcome other than DM. Please please point out where in the report it says they retracted because AFAIK that does not exist and it would be an incredibly weird thing to lie about considering how public the information is.

I. Am. A. Big. Fat. Liar.

8 hours ago, TranXify said:

Some people have already approached me regarding the incident and have informed me of the reasoning as to why the gang decided to shoot four officers. Given the information that was provided to me, I believe that the gang had a justifiable reason to shoot us down. Hence, I would like to withdraw this report and would like it to be locked and archived.

Edited by Naeno
Just now, Naeno said:

I. Am. A. Big. Fat. Liar.

Hey man, absolutely no ill will, thank you for pointing that part out to me ?
Wasn't there when I first looked at the report and I didn't catch it when I glanced over it before responding. No bad manners intended.

Edited by Jedbediah
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Jedbediah said:

Can you point to the part in the report that says the retracted? Because it isn't there. I see them saying that "We're not looking for punishment, we're just seeking that admins verify that there was reasonable excuse for them to act the way they did." which from the very limited view we have is quite frankly laughably abhorrent. Gunning down four sets of officers in broad daylight... the report is quite reasonably justified because without serious backup there is no reasonable outcome other than DM. Please please point out where in the report it says they retracted because AFAIK that does not exist and it would be an incredibly weird thing to lie about considering how public the information is.

MAGHHXG.png

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Naeno said:

I am a liar.

But you are also incapable of reading.

Whey hey! Glad one of us is capable of reasonable conversation!

E: Had a pleasant exchange of PMS, and we cleared our misunderstanding!

Edited by Jedbediah
Apparently there /is/'nt* ill will!

While I agree that in some circumstances, shooting at the PD/SD is a clown act, not many gang members would do that in real life, but what others need to understand is that it STILL happens. Here's a case from a couple of years ago in which two LAPD detective were quite literally sprayed in the face by what I'll assume were MS-13 gang members

https://www.scpr.org/news/2011/10/03/29204/two-officers-shot-koreatown/

Two officers were reportedly shot in Koreatown late Saturday night, prompting Los Angeles police to go on tactical alert.

Officer J. Ashpaugh at the Los Angeles Police Department Olympic Station says the city is on tactical alert after the officers were shot in the area of Leeward Avenue and Magnolia Avenue. The Los Angeles Times reports that the undercover officers had witnessed an earlier shootout nearby, and had approached the suspects before they were attacked.

http://lapdonline.org/march_2002/news_view/22282

Another situation in which a young man (who I'll assume was an MS13 member aswell, given the location of the scene in the article) was shot down by the LAPD after picking up a pistol and aiming it at them, obviously intending to shoot at them.

One of the two officers took the second suspect in to custody. Officer J. Stewart, Serial No. 32415, 27 years of age, 61/2 years with the Department, pursued Depaz north through the houses, toward Leeward Avenue. Officer Stewart broadcast that he was in foot pursuit and his direction of travel. As Depaz reached Leeward Avenue, Officer Stewart heard a metal object, which Depaz had apparently dropped, strike the ground. Officer Stewart then observed Depaz pick up a stainless steel handgun and point it at Officer Stewart. The officer, fearing the suspect was about to shoot him, drew his service pistol and fired it at the suspect. The suspect groaned as if wounded then fled west on Leeward Avenue.

https://www.laweekly.com/officers-shot-on-notorious-drug-street-controlled-by-mara-salvatrucha-gang-in-koreatown/

When two undercover L.A. cops were shot in the face over the weekend they were working on one of L.A.'s more notorious crack streets, controlled by the Mara Salvatrucha gang and only a few blocks from its 18th Street archenemies.

The area in Koreatown near Westlake and Pico-Union had been quiet, and it seemed the city's — and arguably the nation's — two largest gangs were in the midst of a truce when someone opened fire on rivals with a shotgun and then turned the weapon on the cops when they intervened by squeezing their service revolvers.

If there's an actual reason as to why the character decided to up their firearm and shoot at a couple officers (even in broad day), then I don't particularly think it should be written off as unrealistic. These things happen in life all the time.

FYI, the gang whose members shot the two detectives in the first article still exists and has existed for years prior to what happened, meaning that the gang definitely survived the initial crackdowns that likely took place after they shot down two detectives.

Edited by El Ghetto Man

I'm going to keep the civilized discussion going, what WAS the reason provided. ?

I'll play with an open hand, my experience with gangs comes from friends who are passionate about it. My experience and my preference lies firmly in the LEO ballpark. But even for me, an outsider to the whole gang scene, it's obvious what kind of horrible idea shooting police officers is in broad daylight. Regardless of numbers. Even for a "notorious" streetgang, you aught to know that doing that kind of stunt is instantly putting you on every agency's radar. Every specialized division is now going to take special interest in you in the worst way immaginable, everything gets put under a magnifying glass. And not just you, everyone associated to you. 

To me as someone who has 0 idea of what goes on in that aspect it just seems immensly foolish, but I'd be more than happy to see the other side of the fence.

Edited by Kenshi Haroku
16 minutes ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

I'm going to keep the civilized discussion going, what WAS the reason provided. ?

I'll play with an open hand, my experience with gangs comes from friends who are passionate about it. My experience and my preference lies firmly in the LEO ballpark. But even for me, an outsider to the whole gang scene, it's obvious what kind of horrible idea shooting police officers is in broad daylight. Regardless of numbers. Even for a "notorious" streetgang, you aught to know that doing that kind of stunt is instantly putting you on every agency's radar. Every specialized division is now going to take special interest in you in the worst way immaginable, everything gets put under a magnifying glass. And not just you, everyone associated to you. 

To me as someone who has 0 idea of what goes on in that aspect it just seems immensly foolish, but I'd be more than happy to see the other side of the fence.

The thing is bro, most (if not all gangs) nowadays are on most agencies' radars. Not only that, but shootings against the police definitely still do happen. Instead of looking at it as a bad OOC idea, you should look at it as a bad IC idea.

If a gang member shoots a cop, it's clear that said character is crazy, a threat to society and as a result, his gang probably is too. Although, I don't particularly agree with the notion that they'd be chased to the end of the earth and hit with charges by every agency. Yes, the response would be immense. Countless homes would be raided, countless people would be indicted, but in the end the gang would still continue to exist just as MS-13 continues to make noise across the US despite the fact that they've murdered countless officers in California, put hits out on officers in the midwest and on the east coast, and are also willing to actively commit violence against the police simply for the sake of continuing to be violent.

I use my faction as an example because it's what I know, but basically. Lets say my character orders one of his little homeboys to shoot a cop. No matter how he feels about it IC, he has to do it. If he doesn't? He'll likely be killed by the gang for failing to follow orders, or worse, he'll be exiled from the neighbourhood itself for being a coward.

Now lets say said little homeboy decided to follow my character's orders, out of fear of being killed by his own gang. He goes and shoots said officer while said officer is alone. Would you call that non rp fear/poor portrayal? I personally wouldn't. Yes, shooting at the LSPD has extreme consequences, but the LSPD has rules when it comes to coming after you, said character's gang doesn't, if you catch my drift. Said character could refuse to shoot you on the basis that you're an LSPD officer and as a consequence, various things could happen to him and/or most likely even his family. With the LSPD, all they're really gonna do if you play your cards right is handcuff you, take you for booking, maybe kick the shit out of you beforehand, and then you're gonna end up in a place (prison) where literally everybody respects you because you're a cop killer.

Not only that, but if said character killed said LSPD officer? Whether or not he got away with it in the end, he'd be treated like a god by his gang. There's an 18st member who killed a cop in LA close to 25 or so years ago, and he's still known by said clique of 18th Street and his name is constantly put onto walls 25 years after he was put to death by the judge.

The point I'm trying to make is, sometimes unfortunately young men and women involved in gangs don't particularly think of the consequences that may or may not come with their actions, they're more worried about what consequences await them if they refuse to do what they're told.

I'm speaking on Mexican/Salvadoran gangs here btw, my words mean literally nothing to Black gangs because they operate completely differently and I'm not particularly aware of it 100%, but what I can say is that in most Mexican gangs, you've got a higher up who tells you to do things, and you've got to follow said higher-up's orders or risk being either jumped out of the gang or killed, although with Black gangs? You don't particularly have to follow orders as strictly, so I can't speak on how shit works with them and the police.

Although, alternatively. If you're rping a gang member going out there shooting at the cops because you caught a speeding ticket or because you got pulled over and happen to have a weapon hidden on you. Or if you're simply going out of your way to provoke cops in an effort to get into some sort of chase and subsequent shootout, that's poor portrayal and should be handled as such.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Fenrir locked this topic