UCP Turf Map

I fully support this system for street gangs. What I don’t get is why people who aren’t even apart of the gang community even believe they have a say so in this? If you’re not planning to participate or have partaken in roleplay where territory is a major factor in it then why comment? And besides, what if there are players looking to join a gang faction but do not know where they roleplay? It’s a great help. I think we should keep the same turf rules but add a turf map. 

Turf maps really just shows what gang is in that area, doesn’t mean it has to be taken IC. I don’t know why half the people posting are thinking a turf map is taken IC. The turf map is clearly for OOC means. 

2 hours ago, Katja said:

Turf maps don’t exist in the real world. Yes, there are areas of cities where it is “known” that certain gangs are dominant there, however it’s not common knowledge to everyone, as a UCP turf map would ultimately be. 

I see this as causing potential MG actually. If someone’s looking for an area to do something illegal in, why not refer to the “turf map” and OOCly ensure their own success by avoiding certain areas? 

Also, it seems it could be used as an excuse for DM simply by stating, “you were doing XYZ on our turf, so therefore you must die.” 

I feel this could take away from RP, rather than add to it, as it takes a fair amount of RP to ICly claim and maintain an area as turf, whereas it takes much less IC effort to apply for a turf area OOCly. Your mention of providing breathing room for factions actually seems better as the opposite- less breathing room means everyone is forced to work harder and be smarter when trying to control an area. This is much more realistic as governments irl would never willingly hand over an area to a group of criminals. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1ul5yqMj7_JgM5xpfOn5gtlO-bTk&ll=34.00836542516894%2C-118.43657479786258&z=13

• Applaud 1

Turf maps are not needed.  If you want to know who controls an area just RP around there and you will learn soon enough.

OOC turf maps just give a monopoly on already established gangs and makes it harder for smaller or new gangs to gain momentum.  Gang territory is fluid and often changes due to the success and misfortune the factions involved.

Turf maps are just meta.  As someone mentioned this is a Roleplay server not a TDM.  RP and you will learn everything you need.

21 minutes ago, Naeno said:

Thanks for the irl turf map, I suppose if we are being extremely literal, great, they exist. However none of those groups asked the government to control those areas, and the map is not handed out as a guide for new gangs who want to set up shop. They obtained and maintain those areas themselves, as should also be done on the server through IC means and RP. 

2 hours ago, Katja said:

Turf maps don’t exist in the real world.

GTAW ≠ Real world 

Turf map is needed due to OOC ISSUES because someone has opened a faction in the same territory of another already existent or as bidi bodi said avoids another faction to claim another territory because maybe they thought was free or something else of similar. 

A member who wants to open a faction will check a free territory to avoid to claim another territory uccupied from another faction, that's at least my point of view on this suggestion. 

I support the turf map. 

Edited by bncal
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2