UCP Turf Map

Short description: Allow factions who’ve been up for sometime to apply for turf.

Detailed description: Alright, hear me out for a minute. You might say: “This limits RP”. But it actually increases it as factions have more breathing room, and less DM will happen when 2-3 or even 4 factions try claim the same area. My suggestion is that FM add a turf map and allow factions who’ve been up and running for over a month to apply for it.

Commands to add: N/A.

Items to add: N/A.

How would your suggestion improve the server? More breathing room for factions and less DM.

Additional information: N/A.

Edited by bidi bidi bom bom
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2

I hate turf maps to be honest.. I don't think just because a faction has been up for a while that it should stop others from being in the same area or trying to claim it. I think it limits RP and causes metagame OOC too. If there's mass murders and DM etc that's why we have admins and rules to apply not to mention the PD in-game to stop all that stuff.

• Upvote 2

Full support, I know where Bidi Bidi Bom Bom is getting at with this, at the moment any unofficial faction can create a clique and immediately get to beefing with an official faction, I've experienced it twice and it's quite frustrating.

And let me tell you why it's not an IC issue, do you think a Crip gang is just going to say fuck it and set up shop in known blood gang territory? No. Do you think the Hells Angels are going to just set up down the street from Mongols MC territory irl? No. Do you think Playboy 13 is going to say fuck it and set up a clique in MS-13 territory irl? No.

Edited by MickeyO
  • Upvote 5

Turf maps don’t exist in the real world. Yes, there are areas of cities where it is “known” that certain gangs are dominant there, however it’s not common knowledge to everyone, as a UCP turf map would ultimately be. 

I see this as causing potential MG actually. If someone’s looking for an area to do something illegal in, why not refer to the “turf map” and OOCly ensure their own success by avoiding certain areas? 

Also, it seems it could be used as an excuse for DM simply by stating, “you were doing XYZ on our turf, so therefore you must die.” 

I feel this could take away from RP, rather than add to it, as it takes a fair amount of RP to ICly claim and maintain an area as turf, whereas it takes much less IC effort to apply for a turf area OOCly. Your mention of providing breathing room for factions actually seems better as the opposite- less breathing room means everyone is forced to work harder and be smarter when trying to control an area. This is much more realistic as governments irl would never willingly hand over an area to a group of criminals. 

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, MickeyO said:

Full support, I know where Bidi Bidi Bom Bom is getting at with this, at the moment any unofficial faction can create a clique and immediately get to beefing with an official faction, I've experienced it twice and it's quite frustrating.

And let me tell you why it's not an IC issue, do you think a Crip gang is just going to say fuck it and set up shop in known blood gang territory? No. Do you think the Hells Angels are going to just set up down the street from Mongols MC territory irl? No. Do you think Playboy 13 is going to say fuck it and set up a clique in MS-13 territory irl? No.

This reply hit the nail on the head. This is a big reason turf maps should exist.

Just now, Katja said:

Turf maps don’t exist in the real world. Yes, there are areas of cities where it is “known” that certain gangs are dominant there, however it’s not common knowledge to everyone, as a UCP turf map would ultimately be. 

I see this as causing potential MG actually. If someone’s looking for an area to do something illegal in, why not refer to the “turf map” and OOCly ensure their own success by avoiding certain areas? 

Also, it seems it could be used as an excuse for DM simply by stating, “you were doing XYZ on our turf, so therefore you must die.” 

I feel this could take away from RP, rather than add to it, as it takes a fair amount of RP to ICly claim and maintain an area as turf, whereas it takes much less IC effort to apply for a turf area OOCly. Your mention of providing breathing room for factions actually seems better as the opposite- less breathing room means everyone is forced to work harder and be smarter when trying to control an area. This is much more realistic as governments irl would never willingly hand over an area to a group of criminals. 

There's twice as worse DM happening without them. I come from a server with turf maps, and it actually brought so much quality roleplay scenarios to factions in the same neighborhood but with turfs on different areas. 

EDIT: Taking away from RP is when a faction can't even breathe because they have 1-2 other factions wanting to slaughter them and when they report it's told it's an "IC Issue".

Edited by bidi bidi bom bom
Just now, bidi bidi bom bom said:

There's twice as worse DM happening without them. I come from a server with turf maps, and it actually brought so much quality roleplay scenarios to factions in the same neighborhood but with turfs on different areas. 

EDIT: Taking away from RP is when a faction can't even breathe because they have 1-2 other factions wanting to slaughter them and when they report it's told it's an "IC Issue".

That’s because it IS an IC issue. Of course DM’ing is not okay, but it’s a reportable offense. Factions should have beef with other factions, in what world do groups of criminals play nicely? That’s also why IFM exists, to help ensure it is reasonable for factions to take action against each other.