UCP Turf Map

35 minutes ago, Ylva said:

Turf control is IC, you shouldn't have some sort of map telling you who lives where, that just gives people a pretty open source to metagame locations of certain groups and where they hang out.

If you want to find out who lives/controls where, you go and find out ICly, a map shouldn't tell you nor should it give you an ability to turn away any new factions who wish to contest the area. If you want to control a territory, control it ICly with actual manpower instead of relying upon a map that pushes away any new factions that wish to contest or roleplay within the area.

You have a whole rule set and process to protect yourself from DM'ers and bad factions, use them.

No support.

Your reply makes it sound as if gangs roleplay just appearing and taking over areas as if this is some turn-based RPG. Most gangs, if not all, roleplay having a rich history in the area that they start up in. Many people will scope an area for a couple days, maybe a week or two, before deciding that they want to start a faction in a particular area. However, what's happened for me and surely has happened for many other people, is that you'll check a certain area and it'll appear as if it's unclaimed when really there's already a faction there but they're more active in a different timezone from you.

I'm not going to go try start up a Crip gang with a rich history on a particular street in Rancho just to find out that there's a Bloods gang that's been there but is active when I'm offline. A turf map helps solve this issue completely.

The benefits of having a turf map (more so for the illegal roleplayers who will actually have some use in the map as opposed to legal roleplayers who spend the majority of their time in parts of the map unaffected by gangs) massively outweigh the con of it potentially being metagamed.

Edited by Theory
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Theory said:

Your reply makes it sound as if gangs roleplay just appearing and taking over areas as if this is some turn-based RPG. Most gangs, if not all, roleplay having a rich history in the area that they start up in.

Partially true, yet months ago there would've likely been an entirely different faction in that area with an equally rich history but simply vanished. Just because I wrote up a nice brief saying my gang has been around for xx years doesn't equate to me owning that turf without any contest and denying anyone else the ability to reside or start up a faction within that area, which is pretty much all this turf map asks for as it gives groups OOC leverage on deciding who can inhabit their territory and controlling who they wish to have a conflict with.

Still, I've said my piece and I won't be replying any further.

1 hour ago, Ylva said:

Partially true, yet months ago there would've likely been an entirely different faction in that area with an equally rich history but simply vanished. Just because I wrote up a nice brief saying my gang has been around for xx years doesn't equate to me owning that turf without any contest and denying anyone else the ability to reside or start up a faction within that area, which is pretty much all this turf map asks for as it gives groups OOC leverage on deciding who can inhabit their territory and controlling who they wish to have a conflict with.

Still, I've said my piece and I won't be replying any further.

Eh this is not about "writing a nice piece" this is about IC activity and respecting the work of all the good factions which as @Theory said, sometimes due to timezones and what not is not easy to know about who is where even for admins. So this would help them as well to keep track on what's going on in the streets.

And turfs would be added on the map after a faction has been there for a good period of time and active as a whole for some months, has quality etc. There should be requirements for a faction to be able to claim an official turf on the map of course. Clearly you really are not getting the idea.

Most of the illegal roleplayers have seen this implemented in other communities and it works. 

And I say again, MG is irrelevant since anyone can check the screenshots of any faction threads to know where they at. This has nothing to do with Metagame, repeat, this has nothing to do with metagame.

9 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

This has nothing to do with Metagame, repeat, this has nothing to do with metagame.

THIS. The same people who would MG TURF (Not sure how you'd honestly MG turf tbh considering if you're RPing growing up in LS you'd know exactly which gangs are where) of all things are the same people who MG through screenshots. Doesn't stop people from posting them though. It's a irrelevant argument. 

Just now, IrCam said:

THIS. The same people who would MG TURF (Not sure how you'd honestly MG turf tbh considering if you're RPing growing up in LS you'd know exactly which gangs are where) of all things are the same people who MG through screenshots. Doesn't stop people from posting them though. It's a irrelevant argument. 

The turf map is metagame, you can’t have it

My only concern with a turf map is that people will use it as an excuse to go inactive in the area and hog up potential turf. I've seen it on past servers. The fact that you have to actually keep your turf active is one of the very few things I actually like about this server. 

Just now, eTaylor said:

The turf map is metagame, you can’t have it

Come on, if you're not going to provide some type of argument to the conversation don't even bother posting. They literally just debunked the fact that you think a turf map would be MG.

Just now, Project-P said:

Come on, if you're not going to provide some type of argument to the conversation don't even bother posting. They literally just debunked the fact that you think a turf map would be MG.

The argument is pretty solid. Taking OOC information IC is metagaming, what exactly did you debunk? Having x people say something that is incorrect isn’t a debunk at all.