Server Rules: Questions and Answers

4 hours ago, Peter said:

How about using /vget to track your stolen vehicle with upgraded alarm? I think it's allowed, but idk. I spent less than $100 getting a GPS tracker for my car irl lol 

With or without an upgraded alarm, most modern vehicles can be realistically tracked this way. The only possible pertinent rules would be 2.0 and 3.0 which read from Powergaming:

It is not allowed to perform actions which would not be possible in real life

And from Metagaming, respectively:

Using out of character gained information to your advantage.

Neither of these seem to prohibit what you're doing - seeing as the information about your car's location is provided to you in-game and there's a realistic manner in which you can pinpoint the location of vehicles in the real world. It's worthy to note that there was a suggestion posted in April along these lines that was forwarded, but nothing ever came of it - which, to me, indicates that the current solution of roleplaying /vget as a GPS is fine until the rules change or the suggestion linked is implemented.

I have a specific question regarding BMX bikes.

So here's the deal: a lot of basic tricks in BMX biking in-game call for you to use game physics rather than RL physics, such as favoring wheelies over jumping, etc.

I know it's not entirely realistic, but since the game isn't built for biking, it's pretty much impossible to do anything even remotely beyond just a small hop on a bike without these tools. And as I have a character who is built around BMXing, could I get clarification on whether or not we're allowed to RP these tricks within a degree of reason?

19 hours ago, Koko said:

I have a specific question regarding BMX bikes.

So here's the deal: a lot of basic tricks in BMX biking in-game call for you to use game physics rather than RL physics, such as favoring wheelies over jumping, etc.

I know it's not entirely realistic, but since the game isn't built for biking, it's pretty much impossible to do anything even remotely beyond just a small hop on a bike without these tools. And as I have a character who is built around BMXing, could I get clarification on whether or not we're allowed to RP these tricks within a degree of reason?

You're not really abusing game physics to gain an unfair advantage in this scenario. If your character would realistically be able to carry out certain BMX tricks, and as long as they aren't ridiculous tricks like jumping from an unreasonable height and perfectly landing it without any inflicted injuries, then I think this would be well within reason to RP.

4 minutes ago, Dashing said:

You're not really abusing game physics to gain an unfair advantage in this scenario. If your character would realistically be able to carry out certain BMX tricks, and as long as they aren't ridiculous tricks like jumping from an unreasonable height and perfectly landing it without any inflicted injuries, then I think this would be well within reason to RP.

Well but I mean that I could and would like to use it in a way that many people might find wrong, but I think carries a degree of fairness. Say I do some shenanigans with the police on my BMX, and try to get away. I drive a bike that tops at 35 mph and I kinda might rely on verticality to have a chance to get out, which might mean stuff like wheelieing off stairs to be launched in the air a bit.

... anyone might reasonably bring that up as me using "game physics" to my advantage, but I personally don't find that many of these jumps are terribly unbelievable in the context of the game, even if it's clear that they wouldn't all be feasible IRL (for instance ramps in the game work very badly, whereas construction blocks make for amazing natural ramps, but you wouldn't be able to use those IRL).

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 1
  • Caporegime changed the title to Server Rules: Questions and Answers
  • 3 months later...

I have a question about the rules (in case someone might know) - the rules state we must finish an rp even if someone is breaking the rules because we should be rp'ing at all times. That's fair enough, but my question is about robbery. I've faced two situations with players who have been powergaming the rp in order to win the fight (and get my money). Some people on this server seem to think that it's cops and robbers in world, not a 'real' world. They refuse to accept it when the roleplay isn't going in their favour, so ultimately I have no choice but to either stop the roleplay or let them win and give them my money.

My question therefore is, it is expected that I just let them powergame and give them my money? I'm assuming not but I want to be sure, thank you :)

1 hour ago, Narinna said:

I have a question about the rules (in case someone might know) - the rules state we must finish an rp even if someone is breaking the rules because we should be rp'ing at all times. That's fair enough, but my question is about robbery. I've faced two situations with players who have been powergaming the rp in order to win the fight (and get my money). Some people on this server seem to think that it's cops and robbers in world, not a 'real' world. They refuse to accept it when the roleplay isn't going in their favour, so ultimately I have no choice but to either stop the roleplay or let them win and give them my money.

My question therefore is, it is expected that I just let them powergame and give them my money? I'm assuming not but I want to be sure, thank you ?

Sadly, yes. It's a shame and bit of a mess to go through for the time, albeit make sure to report on forums, if necessary they will be punished and your char refunded.

1 hour ago, Flow said:

Sadly, yes. It's a shame and bit of a mess to go through for the time, albeit make sure to report on forums, if necessary they will be punished and your char refunded.

Wow that's crazy... no wonder there's so many people who just rob people in this town, they win no matter what.

• Upvote 1
  • Keane unpinned this topic
  • Björk locked this topic
  • Björk unlocked this topic