Server Rules: Questions and Answers

2 hours ago, Trukken said:

Bit of background, I am the owner of a trucking company and we have contracts with certain businesses to supply them for a fixed price. For that I set up a seperate discord channel so people in my company can keep track of contracts currently being prioritised by us. We RP having tablets in all of vehicles so that the employees can get notifications. I also set up a logging page where employees must record what vehicle they had taken from the company garage. 

My question is, does it count as MG? We recently had a discussion about pagers not being approved by the FM and I dont want to fall underneath the same category. Same goes for the log, is it MG to record those informations on a seperate discord server? 

If it makes you any easier to decide send me a PM and i can give you an invitation to the discord server. 

If you use any channel to be IC, yes it must be approved by FM / PM (if business), and one must be in there to monitor.

8 hours ago, Trukken said:

Bit of background, I am the owner of a trucking company and we have contracts with certain businesses to supply them for a fixed price. For that I set up a seperate discord channel so people in my company can keep track of contracts currently being prioritised by us. We RP having tablets in all of vehicles so that the employees can get notifications. I also set up a logging page where employees must record what vehicle they had taken from the company garage. 

My question is, does it count as MG? We recently had a discussion about pagers not being approved by the FM and I dont want to fall underneath the same category. Same goes for the log, is it MG to record those informations on a seperate discord server? 

If it makes you any easier to decide send me a PM and i can give you an invitation to the discord server. 

The only reason why a member of staff would view this as meta-gaming is because of the lack of moderation on it. There is completely no difference from what you're doing vs what the LSPD is doing with their forums, MDC, Discord, and alike. Obviously, you have no influence on how your employees utilise these features, whether they stand by the server rules or abuse them. You cannot take responsibility for someone else's actions if they abuse the system you built to their own benefit, however, I highly advise that if it is being used not as intended or against the server rules, for you to cut ties with such a member.

The fact that you're roleplaying keeping track of contracts, allowing other employees to have access to such platforms is really a must due to the nature of your business. Limitations of the game prevent you to simulate real life, you cannot perfectly simulate a world within a game, so if you need to look for outside solutions in the real world to keep track of in-game activities for it to operate like a real business, I see no issue with it being used for such purposes.

I'm currently in the process of building my very own website to keep track of clients for a loaning company I run which will allow other employees access to ton's of character information. I'm doing the very same thing right now, however, with a spreadsheet which isn't the greatest solution but it works for my basic needs, was a quick and fast solution, and it helps me keep things organised.

With the pager, the LSPD has such a thing.

62RHceH.png

However, it is monitored and looked over, whereas your pager wouldn't be, this is why all other out of game solutions could be considered meta-gaming. Simply look at FaceBrowser, you can message someone who's offline, out of the game, and ask them to come help you with something. There is no difference between that and a pager, but the moderation.

Edited by XanX
  • Applaud 1
3 minutes ago, XanX said:

The only reason why a member of staff would view this as meta-gaming is because of the lack of moderation on it. There is completely no difference from what you're doing vs what the LSPD is doing with their forums, MDC, Discord, and alike. Obviously, you have no influence on how your employees utilise these features, whether they stand by the server rules or abuse them. You cannot take responsibility for someone else's actions if they abuse the system you built to their own benefit, however, I highly advise that if it is being used not as intended or against the server rules, for you to cut ties with such a member.

The fact that you're roleplaying keeping track of contracts, allowing other employees to have access to such platforms is really a must due to the nature of your business. Limitations of the game prevent you to simulate real life, you cannot perfectly simulate a world within a game, so if you need to look for outside solutions in the real world to keep track of in-game activities for it to operate like a real business, I see no issue with it being used for such purposes.

I'm currently in the process of building my very own website to keep track of clients for a loaning company I run which will allow other employees access to ton's of character information. I'm doing the very same thing right now, however, with a spreadsheet which isn't the greatest solution but it works for my basic needs, was a quick and fast solution, and it helps me keep things organised.

With the pager, the LSPD has such a thing.

62RHceH.png

However, it is monitored and looked over, whereas your pager wouldn't be, this is why all other out of game solutions could be considered meta-gaming when in fact if used correctly, they are not. Simply look at FaceBrowser, you can message someone who's offline, out of the game, and ask them to come help you with something. There is no difference between that and a pager, but the moderation.

I have texted a few people from the PM already hopefully one of them replies and can validate it, thanks for the input. 

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Björk said:

It's currently not in my to:do list at this time. But I can tell you that it will be interesting to see these come up again. I will have to speak with the rest of the team about their opinions on it.

Despite not exactly being a rule question, thanks for the prompt response. It's certain to bring a plethora of interesting roleplay scenarios as well as some active roleplay jobs. Glad to hear it'll be discussed.

Not sure where to put it this question, so I'm just going to put it in here and hopefully @Nervous will be willing to answer.

Do websites that are mandatory to register to in order to gain access to all server features such as gov and PD websites fall under the privacy policy of GTA World?

Edited by BinaryRun
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Keane unpinned this topic
  • Björk locked this topic
  • Björk unlocked this topic