[FACEBROWSER] Remove purchasable verification

Fergie

4 hours ago, eTaylor said:

Considering that the FB server costs €1200 and FB itself only generates around €200

What? Please provide evidence to back up that claim. I’m sorry but there is a 0% chance that the server FB runs on costs $1200/mo. If it did, FB wouldn’t be a tenth as slow and laggy as it is currently.  I’d be shocked if the FB server, combined with CDN for the image uploads, costs over $250-$300 a month, max. And that’s on the high end. 

1 minute ago, Fergie said:

What? Please provide evidence to back up that claim

5167316b5a.png

Want any other evidence? FB was moved over to the new 1200 server (1200 is for a yearly billing, so 120 p/m) and it has seen drastic improvements. 

Edited by Mitch
24 minutes ago, Raindance said:

Where do you get this information from?

12 minutes ago, Fergie said:

What? Please provide evidence to back up that claim. I’m sorry but there is a 0% chance that the server FB runs on costs $1200/mo. If it did, FB wouldn’t be a tenth as slow and laggy as it is currently.  I’d be shocked if the FB server, combined with CDN for the image uploads, costs over $250-$300 a month, max. And that’s on the high end. 

What @Mitch said

On 7/30/2020 at 1:04 AM, Raindance said:

I agree with Fergie, $1200 is ridiculous even on a yearly basis if you ask me. I'd look for another host given the poor responsiveness of their servers

I believe you don’t imagine prices for servers + how much resources facebrowser drains.

stop crying about this - Nervous can’t pay for server with IC cash - understand that before saying “entirely IC or so”

On 7/29/2020 at 11:04 PM, Raindance said:

I agree with Fergie, $1200 is ridiculous even on a yearly basis if you ask me. I'd look for another host given the poor responsiveness of their servers

What? No? That's perfectly reasonable for what the server will be doing. For a good host like OVH or something this is EXACTLY what I'd expect to be paying.

On the topic of verification marks in general: agreed completely that it's over used and it kind of ruins the whole idea of it. I once bought Pro to boost a store's posts, and I've been stuck with the verification mark on that account ever since. I can't turn it off or lose it, which is weird because my character lives in Rancho and really doesn't care enough about FB for it. 

On the topic of "compensation"? No. You don't need to compensate anyone for purchasing a service that later becomes free. Look at all the dozens of games that were once pay2play and are now free2play. Look at all the old games that have since been made freely available. They don't compensate old purchasers. People also don't compensate old purchasers when they're making a sale. I often see this point brought up on the topics of donator sales and buyable perks, and in the business world it doesn't and never will apply. Nobody expects it, nobody will apply it. 

On the topic of money to keep the server running: I agree that it really does rely on real money and I agree the check mark is a sellable thing. I would suggest the option to be able to turn it off, but I don't know who beside me would use it. It would probably motivate me to buy pro for more characters though because the benefits are useful for advertising businesses, but I don't think it's realistic for my characters to have those marks. 

Unfortunately all with all I can't agree with removing the feature to pay for it altogether. To make that happen, Pro would need to offer other benefits that appeal to people just as much as the verified check. Though... 

There is a "Pro" mark next to your name if you currently have Pro active. Why not replace the verified check with a "Pro" mark altogether, and hand out the checks only IC? That way, people who wanna look special by having a fancy name still can, but verified people can be assured to be really special folk.