[FACEBROWSER] Remove purchasable verification

Fergie

Just now, mj2002 said:

If something else can be added in return, why not?

not ur place to say that, u didnt pay for it.

I agree with the original post that too much people are verified, but I didn't pay for this service so im not gonna demand they remove it from other people who did pay. Yes it would be nice and it was a bad idea to make it a paid feature, but it's too late now.

( + im pretty sure facebrowser is more profitable than ingame donations, or atleast very close, so for that reason alone it's pretty clear it would never be removed )

I think most people fail to realize that this transcends the issue of mixing.

Facebrowser is an out-of-character business and it needs to be addressed like one. They produce and we consume. You may be wondering if it's ethical to be earning money off of a platform made exclusively for in-character purposes on a free to play server. Perhaps it's not, but we also need to understand the platform has a cost to be maintained. The players wanted a social media website to enhance roleplay opportunities and one was provided. It's literally free to use, you are not forced to pay anything to use it, so it's not ethical from the consumer side either to be demanding this and not help compensating it financially. Everything comes at a cost, it is what it is.

Removing verified badges from a business perspective is disastrous. They have already removed the "visited your profile" feature from VIP exclusive and if they remove this, all that's left is boosted posts/pages and a feature with your name and photo on the top right corner of the feed. What's next? Remove boosted pages/posts because they make you more susceptible to be noticed by others, therefore allowing you to have more likes and be more famous? Ridiculous. Inevitably, by removing verified badges, there will be less VIP purchases because it's one less perk available in the package and as a result less income will be generated to keep up with the costs, and it may as well come to a point in the end where VIP packages prices need to be increased if the platform wants to stay alive. Where does this lead us to? Less demand, less interest in those, less income. It's a vicious circle.

Really, I have literally seen in-character social media websites die on another server because they were sustained solely on the generosity of players who would donate to keep it alive and no donation perks were given and the way I see it here, we're heading in that direction if we keep removing perks one by one. In my opinion, that's not the way to go. As much as out-of-character influences in an in-character environment are frowned upon, we cannot ignorantly look past what it takes to support the existence of this platform. Be glad it exists and you can use it freely to create endless roleplay opportunities. After all, that's why it was created in the first place and these perks do not reduce your chances.

Edited by Shaderz
10 hours ago, Wirbelwind said:

How would you tackle the issue of compensating players who already have paid for it, and what would you offer as an alternative?

Let them keep it for the remainder of their subscription, then it expires and never becomes available again

Removing verified badges from a business perspective is disastrous. 

It really isn't. The verified badge appears on your personal profile only. Getting the verified badge for a business page doesn't involve donating

Really, I have literally seen in-character social media websites die on another server because they were sustained solely on the generosity of players who would donate to keep it alive and no donation perks were given and the way I see it here, we're heading in that direction if we keep removing perks one by one. In my opinion, that's not the way to go. As much as out-of-character influences in an in-character environment are frowned upon, we cannot ignorantly look past what it takes to support the existence of this platform. Be glad it exists and you can use it freely to create endless roleplay opportunities. After all, that's why it was created in the first place and these perks do not reduce your chances.

It's just one feature. Imo the page boosts are more than enough incentive for people to donate $5 a month. Especially business owners are interested in this cause it's a great way to advertise their bizz pages. Plus there's always alternative donator perks to look into. I am not convinced Facebrowser is a really expensive platform to host either..

21 hours ago, DjoleK said:

No. If you want it, donate and support the server with your $. That is literally not even a important feature, especially seeing as probably 50% of players don't even use facebrowser.

It kind of breaks the immersion if you ask me. On IRL social media platforms you'll only find people of significance/celebrities having the verified status. If we really value RP standards it actually is an important feature

Edited by Raindance
Just now, JustAnM43 said:

And how about the people that got theirs for IC reasoning and not paid? 

What do you mean? Only way to get that verification icon is to donate as far as I'm aware.

edit: that is for personal profiles, for bizz profiles you simply have to request it and do not need to pay ooc money for it

Edited by Raindance
2 minutes ago, JustAnM43 said:

Nope. Some people got theirs by requesting it with justification or they were awarded it.

And that's fine as long as they can justify having it IC e.g  being an IC celebrity. Should be up to the admins (or IC mods?) to enforce that.

Edited by Raindance

Removing verified badges from a business perspective is disastrous. 

1 hour ago, Raindance said:

It really isn't. The verified badge appears on your personal profile only. Getting the verified badge for a business page doesn't involve donating

He meant from an IRL business perspective lol. FB is profitable at the end of the day I garuntee you'd have a different perspective if you were the server owner/someone who paid for verification. It's not our place to say "just remove it and replace it with other features" when people literally paid specifically for it. 

Edited by Shekh
On 7/25/2020 at 9:45 PM, Shekh said:

He meant from an IRL business perspective lol. FB is profitable at the end of the day I garuntee you'd have a different perspective if you were the server owner/someone who paid for verification. It's not our place to say "just remove it and replace it with other features" when people literally paid specifically for it. 

is that really true? Do people donate solely for that verified icon or the page boosts? I think it's worth putting that to the test