UCP Vehicle Leases Limited to Certain People

Epic

Just now, Epic said:

Not sure what your trying to point out? I was only sharing my experience and I have been to the states which is exactly why I had to hire a vehicle? Again wasn’t asked for any criminal record information but then again, maybe because I was a tourist and you have to have a clean record to go to the US from the UK anyway. 

The point I was trying to make was you, someone from Britain, was trying to use your personal experiences in vehicle leases to compare with a setting in the United States. I was unable to know you were talking about your own experiences as a tourist in the United States as you did not include this in your explanation. And yes, this would have made a difference as a tourist hiring a vehicle compared to being a citizen and leasing a vehicle.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Epic said:

absolutely agree there are social consequences but I’d like to see the consequences range based on the crime as they do in real life? Someone who might have been to jail in the past can turn their life around, why shouldn’t they be allowed to here? 

What  SaintBatemanofWallStreet and Marksman said is correct. I'm not too familiar with the criminal justice system in the UK but in the U.S if you get a felony on your record doesn't matter if you served your time years or even decades ago it will fuck up your entire life. You won't be able to get any type of job not even at McDonalds, rejected from apartment and loan applications.  Basically anything that requires any type of background check which is a lot of important things you will be disqualified for. Once you have the stain of being a felon on your record even if it was still a little old lady purse 20 years ago when you were 18 and now you are reformed it will haunt you for ever.

Edited by Power
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Marksman said:

The point I was trying to make was you, someone from Britain, was trying to use your personal experiences in vehicle leases to compare with a setting in the United States. I was unable to know you were talking about your own experiences as a tourist in the United States as you did not include this in your explanation. And yes, this would have made a difference as a tourist hiring a vehicle compared to being a citizen and leasing a vehicle.

No problem, I didn’t appreciate the differences between being a tourist and resident so thank you for highlighting them. 

52 minutes ago, Power said:

What  SaintBatemanofWallStreet and Marksman said is correct. I'm not too familiar with the criminal justice system in the UK but in the U.S if you get a felony on your record doesn't matter if you served your time years or even decades ago it will fuck up your entire life. You won't be able to get any type of job not even at McDonalds, rejected from apartment and loan applications. You can't even vote in most states.  Basically anything that requires any type of background check which is a lot of important things you will be disqualified for. Once you have the stain of being a felon on your record even if it was still a little old lady purse 20 years ago when you were 18 and now you are reformed it will haunt you for ever.

Fair enough. In the UK your background isn’t really explored unless you are applying for jobs. Even on tenancy applications, I’ve never been asked about a criminal record. So housing/vehicle purchases isn’t affected in the UK, I was just sharing my personal experience with the US but that’s already been highlighted as different. 

Edited by Epic

Supporting this. My character was declined 2 times (even after having a valid reason) because he owned a plane, so his wealth wouldnt be suitable for having a unique car (????????). I sold the plane and then I was denied again for having a criminal record (non violent, no evasions, etc) !!!

In the same time people with felony records for evading a peace officer get unique cars. Where's the logic?

Edited by zaXer.
3 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

I 100% support them not giving out vehicles to characters who are felons or even frequent misdemeanor flyers.

Being a felon in the United States is extremely debilitating to any progression of a person and a lot of people on this server don't understand or don't care. Basically what it comes down to is when you lease or rent property from anyone be it vehicles or a place to live, they have the right to deny you based on your criminal record. And there's really nothing you can do about it because it all comes back on the property owner's liability. They don't have to give you their stuff. 

This all sounds great but... does this also apply to lawnmowers?

Just now, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

I mean if you want to split hairs to be a smart ass - most felons can't afford houses with yards that would need a riding lawnmower anyways. So it's a moot point.

So you're saying..felons here should be stripped of their assets and not being allowed to purchase a house with a yard...?

Just now, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

I mean if you want to split hairs to be a smart ass - most felons can't afford houses with yards that would need a riding lawnmower anyways. So it's a moot point.

What if they have a truck and mow other people's lawns?