Mandatory Age Check at New Player Application

jcat

On 7/22/2020 at 5:53 AM, Alexandra said:

This is an opportunity for the development team to use some OCR technology to read ID photos to get dates of birth and keep them on record. However, doing so would potentially open up the server to some GDPR stuff.

i can't think of anything i'd rather do less than give pictures of my ID to anyone on the staff team. half the server would have it in 24 hours

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Alexandra said:

it's really quite simple: if you don't want to send your ID then you don't get to do ERP. Pretty fair imo because the alternative is the server opening itself up to legal problems by exposing minors to it.

Why are you so eager to share your ID with complete strangers around this broken world?

12 hours ago, eTaylor said:

It’s your own responsibility,

And my suggestion makes it easier for players to carry out their responsibilities.

10 hours ago, eTaylor said:

It’s not the server’s or staff’s responsibility.

Yes, it is.  The staff has the ultimate responsibility for what happens on the server.  They do a lot of work in the background to keep things within server rules.

How hard it is to put in an 18+ checkbox on the player application?  How hard is it to put an 18+ note in the character description, like they already did with character age?  It's easy, and then it's done.  Then club bouncers and bar owners and criminal players can decide how they want to interact with a particular character without asking the same question over and over and getting lied to over and over.

11 hours ago, Cara said:

This is purely panic over the new rules for ERP, by players who want to make it the server and staff’s responsibility to confirm who they can ERP with.

You're fixated on ERP, and that's your business (not judging), but I'm guessing characters involved in ERP are generally acquainted with each other.  They're the prostitute characters, the adult film characters, and the criminal characters who hire them for 'private parties' and so on.  This kind of thing happens in closed interiors where everyone knows what's happening and has consented to being in the scene.  

My suggestion will make things better for the characters who don't ERP who are trying to meet other characters in public spaces like bars and clubs.  Players can see the status of who they're interacting with and decide how they want to act.  Maybe female characters without the 18+ tag will be spared from the disgusting pickup lines that a number of players have told me their female characters have to put up with.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:53 AM, Alexandra said:

This is an opportunity for the development team to use some OCR technology to read ID photos to get dates of birth and keep them on record. However, doing so would potentially open up the server to some GDPR stuff.

Facebook doesn't check IDs, why would GTA World? And no, I wouldn't send in my real life ID either, just to be able to log into a game. You're talking about making your private information (and in the cases of some countries, sensitive information) public. No, I don't trust the GTA World staff team - I'm not saying they're not doing their job, they are, but they still are random strangers to me and I'm not going to give my very personal information to some random strangers. And as was pointed out previously, everyone else who, in one way or another, has or will have access to this database. Like really, I'm not going to have my personal information in my own country's database, in the FBI database and in GTA World's database, that's ridiculous.

This would just lead to the server losing a lot of players who are mature enough to know that posting your ID on random websites is not a thing to do.