Defining A Good Roleplayer.

Shaderz

3 hours ago, lambchops said:

But most importantly:

• The ability to learn from others or mistakes.
    • You're not perfect, you never will be. Be humble.
  • The ability to be patient with others.
    • Others aren't perfect either, be nice. We're all here to have fun.
  • The ability to be courteous on an OOC basis, even if you are not IC.
    • Refer to my previous point.
  • The ability to enjoy the game.
    • If you aren't feeling like role playing, please do not force yourself to just to spite others / troll / do something you feel like you have to. It may be better to take some time off and work on getting ready to give your role play your 100% at a later date. There's no shame in taking a break.

2 hours ago, IrCam said:

A few people have touched upon this, but I'd also want to say THE LENGTH OF YOUR /ME DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. Yes while it's nice to flesh out some detail in what the action your character is doing, it doesn't change the fact filling up 700 hundred words (full /me and /do) to describe a powergame action where no-one else can react is just off putting. You can get the point across in a few lines or so. 

No-one cares about how expansive your vocabulary is if the character isn't realistic. 

Too add onto this thread, I think what also makes a great Rper is someone who can RP something they really don't like OOC. For example, playing a character who is a political zealot for something you totally disagree with in the real world, or a character who loves a certain type of music that you may hate in reality. It sounds like a rather fun exersize that I'd like to try one day. 

No such thing truly exists. It's a term used by elitists and people who like to sound better than others. I'm of the opinion that roleplay is constantly evolving and improving so, no one can truly be good at it and we are all equals in this field. To call someone good or bad just seems ignorant in my mind. 

2 hours ago, Benny Black said:

No such thing truly exists. It's a term used by elitists and people who like to sound better than others. I'm of the opinion that roleplay is constantly evolving and improving so, no one can truly be good at it and we are all equals in this field. To call someone good or bad just seems ignorant in my mind. 

How can you say everyone is equal? There's a definite skill level when it comes to this otherwise people wouldn't get banned for sub-par RP.

3 hours ago, Benny Black said:

Preach. It sure reeks of some sort of underlined elitist mind-set to me. 

If you can have good actors and bad actors in the performing arts, I don't see how you can't have the same when it comes to roleplay. That doesn't mean you can't continue to hone your skill. Like this is coming from someone who is probably one of the worst roleplayers on the server,

Tons of great points here, and I would agree that it’s difficult to define roleplay as good or bad, other than obvious OOC issues of grammar and overall “bad” writing. That being said, as others have stated, the length and complexity of /me’s do not define the quality of RP. For creativity, lengthy /me’s full of complex words might look great, but human portrayal of these actions are much more simple when we see them in person. 

Keeping /me’s simple also allows the chat to flow, and you’re able to pick up on the overall feeling of a situation much more easily and quickly, therefore allowing you to react more appropriately. 

For me, it’s the little things that add to realism of RP. Things as simple as your character tucking their hair behind their ear, or scratching their nose. Simple, short /me’s added into the middle of a conversation help generate more realism..versus a 250 char /me slapped up in the beginning with nothing to follow. 

That’s not to say any type of RP is inherently good or bad, but as we can and should all develop our skills over time, things like this help us develop a /human being/ with their own thoughts and actions, and not just a character that’s an extension of ourself.