Kidnapping rules

LuckyOne

20 minutes ago, LuckyOne said:

Is kidnapping someone for money allowed? And would it fall under the $5000 robberies rule or the $75000 scams rule if you called their friends to get ransom money?

It would fall under the $5000 limit as its cash that you're taking. As for the second part of your question, I would say that's a tad bit on the unrealistic side considering normally you wouldn't just perform a kidnapping, then blindly call their friends and demand money. Ransoms don't work that way generally. It's usually someone with a deep emotional connection like a family member (you kidnap someone's son/daughter/etc) and you've already done your research into the people you are demanding money from. It's not just a "let's call friends in their phone and ask for money". I'd report you if you did that to me lol.

Edited by Chief

Thanks for the info, I guess that makes kidnapping people not a sustainable stream of RP for illegal characters since it's simply not worth it for the money you and your crew'd be getting. Regarding the second part of your answer, I dunno about how things work in first world countries but where I live (South America) it's pretty common for kidnappers to call some friends of the victim for ransom money or tell the victim's closest relatives to gather more people for the ransom since usually the closest relatives can't afford the ransom by themselves.

Obviously a IG kidnapping would have a certain amount of work to gather a crew, location, and info on potential targets (Not to mention getting some stolen cars and disposable phones, although I guess that'd depend on the character's personality and whether he's an organized or disorganized felon) that's why I asked this question, to know whether that'd be worth it.

• Upvote 1

I'd say it would be more realistic to target married couples or people with siblings. There are quite a few now in this server. Realistically, I'm not sure if it would pay off to just kidnap people and call their friends. Unfortunately, a lot of people are really tied to their money and they may just not elect to pay it and deal with the IC consequences. If you target people who are invested in their RP with a significant other (spouse) or a family member, that may be doable. Still would take a lot of proper IC planning and build up so that you cover all of your angles, as you mentioned. You don't want it to be something that's completely random. 

Edited by Chief
54 minutes ago, LuckyOne said:

Thanks for the info, I guess that makes kidnapping people not a sustainable stream of RP for illegal characters since it's simply not worth it for the money you and your crew'd be getting. Regarding the second part of your answer, I dunno about how things work in first world countries but where I live (South America) it's pretty common for kidnappers to call some friends of the victim for ransom money or tell the victim's closest relatives to gather more people for the ransom since usually the closest relatives can't afford the ransom by themselves.

Yeah, it's not really something you'd do for the money with the $5,000 limit. Aside from not really being worth it money-wise, I also don't think it'd be worth the heat it would bring down on you personally - as far as punishment goes it's equivalent to manslaughter. I can see it being tied to something like extortion, but again it's kinda iffy. In a kidnapping scenario a lot can go wrong in a very short time.