Disallow evading police without reason

Zani

Hello everyone,

So as we all know, the player base has an issue with how they drive. It’s either the new players (which is excusable) that haven’t gotten a feel for how serious the server is in terms of roleplay, or it is the same group of people that will drive around on this server going 100 MPH through city streets and drift around. There’s also people that will run from the police without any reason to do so other than to just avoid a ticket. 

What my suggestion is, is to explicitly disallow players via rules to flee from police when being stopped if they have no real reason other than to just take police on a chase. Contrary to popular belief, we at PD don’t really want to be in a pursuit that’s over 5-10 minutes long, and you’re not ‘giving’ us something to do. Some people act like they’re doing us a favor after they run from us.

As for those who think because they’re a racer that it’s a valid excuse to run? You’re risking lots of bank just for a little thrill over avoiding a ticket. Fact is, most of you’s aren’t the best drivers and will crash and ruin your car, but you won’t ever roleplay having to fix it or charity tons of money away anyways. Another issue is quads or bikers that try and pull sick turns at super high rates of speed, going left and right non stop just to lose police for the fun of it.

So, I think that a person should have some sort of reasonable excuse, like if they’re in possession of weapons or serious controlled substances. (Enough weed to be considered a drug dealer, or other drugs. 5 grams shouldn’t be an excuse.) 

• Upvote 1

People do dumb shit irl and that doesn’t even happen that rarely. So that’s a biiiiig no from me. As long as there is no breach of rules let them do what they want and stop trying to say what others can and can’t do.

It’s not even funny to read the constant “your character wouldn’t do it” Comments

it’s my character, not yours. Hands off.

Edited by Memozzy
  • Upvote 3

I got to disagree with this. Not because I'm a huge fan of pursuits. Quite the contrary. Having to listen all the excuses about why someone will flee the police will become incredibly tedious and can be avoided. While you and I might not enjoy pursuits that much, there's plenty of people who are new to PD RP and enjoy chasing after bad guys and are excited to do it. The roleplay quality enforced on the server is already fantastic. Having people flee every now and then won't take anything away from that, I think. We are trying to portray real life, but it is a video game. 

There are way too many pursuits on the server but I think they need to be improved by both sides. Very often do I see a police cruiser slam into a tree or each other and just back up and continue driving.  There also should be a no chase policy but that's just me. You are right though it's mad unrp for people to just run to avoid a ticket every single time. Maybe 1/50 or even 1/25 but the amount of players who think it's ok to drive away from a cop because you don't want a fine is crazy lmao. I don't think players should be 'forced' into not driving away but rather just for the rp quality team to look into the players.

Edited by Xizzy

This is a bit overbearing, even by my standards. Who's to say I'm not portraying my character as a paranoid neurotic who would flee for seemingly no reason? Who's to say I don't have something in my car that I shouldn't have? Adding restrictions like this, where you don't reasonably know what's going through the other person's mind, is going to lead to reports that are unfounded.

Undoubtedly, there are people that flee just for the thrill of a chase OOC and it goes against what their character would reasonably do - but there's already steps in place for you to deal with that. If you believe somebody is breaking server rules, you can /report them - if you believe they aren't portraying their character properly, you can raise your concerns with the RP Quality Team.

Not to mention that with the points system in place, people who regularly evade for no particularly reason will soon find themselves nearing the 30 points required to imprison them indefinitely. I see no reason to add more limitations and restrictions for something that can already be resolved without it, like your point about people not roleplaying crashes - report them and it will be dealt with.

• Upvote 4

My problem isn't so much people that evade often - the new tweaks to the points system will make sure they'll get put away pretty handily if they get caught. There are plenty of people in real life who will risk a felony to get out of a speeding ticket or a reckless driving charge, as dumb as it is. And in my town at least, the police just will not chase you if you're going over a certain speed - something about endangering the public n' all that.

I just have an issue with how many people drive around like this is GTA Online, but that's not what this suggestion is about. 

Just now, Pillowy said:

I just have an issue with how many people drive around like this is GTA Online, but that's not what this suggestion is about. 

This is the real issue, I never feel comfortable slowing down/stopping at a red light if someone is behind me because 9/10 times they will rear end me because for some reason driving like a normal person is rare to a lot of people.

7 hours ago, Anselmi said:

This is a bit overbearing, even by my standards. Who's to say I'm not portraying my character as a paranoid neurotic who would flee for seemingly no reason? Who's to say I don't have something in my car that I shouldn't have? Adding restrictions like this, where you don't reasonably know what's going through the other person's mind, is going to lead to reports that are unfounded.

Undoubtedly, there are people that flee just for the thrill of a chase OOC and it goes against what their character would reasonably do - but there's already steps in place for you to deal with that. If you believe somebody is breaking server rules, you can /report them - if you believe they aren't portraying their character properly, you can raise your concerns with the RP Quality Team.

Not to mention that with the points system in place, people who regularly evade for no particularly reason will soon find themselves nearing the 30 points required to imprison them indefinitely. I see no reason to add more limitations and restrictions for something that can already be resolved without it, like your point about people not roleplaying crashes - report them and it will be dealt with.

Nothing more to add. 
While I understand how annoying it is to chase someone throughout Los Santos for no reason, there’s nothing saying you can’t terminate the pursuit and post up a warrant instead. 

In reality, people play this server to have fun. Imposing rules on things that don’t need to be enforced will ruin that fun. If I’m in a situation with police I don’t want to be worried about an administrator thinking my characters reasons were valid to evade or not. Absolutely no for this.

Edited by mattmocz
  • Upvote 1