American culture - Gratuity

1 hour ago, bncal said:

so it's like an extortion 
edit: anyway yes, I usually pay the double. mik knows how much isaac pays his montenegro

So it's not really extortion. In the United States waiters usually make far under minimum wages because of the practices of tipping. So where I work minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. But in industries where tipping is customary, the minimum is $2,13 per hour. So a lot of times these waiters/waitresses really do rely on the tipping. Here it's obviously not the same thing.

10 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

So it's not really extortion. In the United States waiters usually make far under minimum wages because of the practices of tipping. So where I work minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. But in industries where tipping is customary, the minimum is $2,13 per hour. So a lot of times these waiters/waitresses really do rely on the tipping. Here it's obviously not the same thing.

Yeah, it's basically an excuse to get away with paying people under minimum wage. From my personal experience IRL, working a job that relies on tipping is such an anxiety-inducing clusterfuck that I'd rather just not work in any place that relies on tips. In most you can file for compensation if you end up making "less than minimum" wage per week or two weeks or however often you get paid, but it's extremely finicky and sometimes takes quite a while.

You basically rely on the goodwill of customers or the social expectation to tip to make your living. It's horrible.

Edited by Pillowy
  • Upvote 1

Taxis and restaurants, over all food service/bars, pubs and places like that are fine imo, it gets weird when you get tipped at a grocery store. I understand that it's someone trying to be nice but it just feels so awkward compared to real life, where the biggest tip you could get at a grocery store is that one cent coin someone couldn't be fucked to take with them after buying a $1,99 item with a $2 bill.

It's server culture and I accept it, but it still feels really awkward.

It depends on my character. Most of my criminal characters will rarely tip unless the service was phenomenal. However, my legal characters always tip unless the service was poor. One must remember that lower-income communities, especially those that are criminals, will rarely tip simply because they'd rather conserve their wealth.

I'll tip, if there's a waiter, tip jar, or anything else that says I should tip. If I go up to a counter of a bar, and buy a beer, then walk to my table and drink said beer, it feels odd if I was to go up to the bar and tip the barman. In fact, I think most bars don't work with tips like that irl. They work with tip jars. (I'm a European.)

Edited by cracked

I tip bartenders who are able to accurately portray the role, and don't just pour everything out of some magic premix, everything else I automatically tip. Tipping is still a big thing in the UK, just our staff get paid properly and don't rely on it as much I guess?

11 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

I tip bartenders who are able to accurately portray the role, and don't just pour everything out of some magic premix, everything else I automatically tip. Tipping is still a big thing in the UK, just our staff get paid properly and don't rely on it as much I guess?

Correct. As a bartender this is the biggest difference, in the UK you get a liveable wage, and tipping isnt really nessacary, in the US we get paid 2.13/2.15 up to 5.50(I've seen servers/bussers but never bartenders) if you're working for tips. In all honesty, as a bartender I'll probably never go work an actual wage. I can easily make 150-300 on a good night easily, which is more than most paid jobs, not including the tax that comes out of your paycheck. When tipping it's "accepted" that anywhere between 18-20% of the bill price what your tip should be, although that is always entirely up to the person who pays. Many times I get tipped extra, just to have someone not tip and it'll balance out in the middle somewhere.

I didn't leave a tip once in an either an Applebees or a Chili's. 

It was in some butt fuck town in Wyoming along I-80. I stopped for food as it was getting late and the meal was nice, the server was.. meh. Not bad, but definitely not good. I paid using their tablet pay at the table thingy and I put the tip to 0%. Before I could leave she brings over the receipt saying if I wanted a copy here you go, I said thank you and I noticed the tips were circled with a smiley face very blatently. I smiled and wished her a good night and left with out tipping. Do I feel bad? not really as a European, maybe if she smiled at me instead of smiling on the receipt I would have tipped but hey ho. 

When I am in the US I do typically tip, but no more than 10%. And if the server is bad then i'm not tipping!

Edited by Late