A Lack of Consideration

Queen

Honestly, the best scenes tend to be those in which both sides are willing to organize a little. A mugging several weeks ago was absolutely enjoyable and exciting because unlike previous incidents, the muggers were willing to ask "Hey, is this too much?" and "What are you willing to hand over?"

They left the scene with goods of considerably more value, and had I been smart enough to ask for discord names at the time, more roleplay with them would have been pursued.

On the topic of self-inserts...

... self-inserts are characters created by sad individuals who just want to roleplay the better version of themselves. They use first person writing in their roleplay and therefore get too attached to their characters, to the point where they blur the line between IC and OOC things.

I did not create a discussion topic about this because I'm a pedant, I created it to hopefully make people understand that what they're doing is wrong because first of all, roleplaying is done in THIRD person; second of all self-insert characters are a bad idea; third of all, your depression or other mental health issues are not an excuse to roleplay a shitty character.

I'm no different than many of you, people. I'm also sad and depressed, but I don't log in game everyday on my self-insert character just to make myself feel better temporarily, possibly at the cost of ruining other peoples' fun.

Once again, before someone goes nuts on me for being a bully and what not, I will mention that THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO IS ALSO DEPRESSED.
If you are feeling down, depressed, sad, suicidal and such, please go see a psychiatrist to work something out with your mental health. This is a serious topic and I am not fucking joking. Roleplaying a self-insert is only gonna make things worse for you. Not only that, but you're also being an inconsiderate cunt and pissing other people off with your bullshit. I'm sorry for being rough but as I said, I am no different than you and I think I have the right to call you out on your bullshit if you happen to be roleplaying a self-insert character.

37 minutes ago, hentai! said:

On the topic of self-inserts...

... self-inserts are characters created by sad individuals who just want to roleplay the better version of themselves. They use first person writing in their roleplay and therefore get too attached to their characters, to the point where they blur the line between IC and OOC things.

I did not create a discussion topic about this because I'm a pedant, I created it to hopefully make people understand that what they're doing is wrong because first of all, roleplaying is done in THIRD person; second of all self-insert characters are a bad idea; third of all, your depression or other mental health issues are not an excuse to roleplay a shitty character.

I'm no different than many of you, people. I'm also sad and depressed, but I don't log in game everyday on my self-insert character just to make myself feel better temporarily, possibly at the cost of ruining other peoples' fun.

Once again, before someone goes nuts on me for being a bully and what not, I will mention that THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO IS ALSO DEPRESSED.
If you are feeling down, depressed, sad, suicidal and such, please go see a psychiatrist to work something out with your mental health. This is a serious topic and I am not fucking joking. Roleplaying a self-insert is only gonna make things worse for you. Not only that, but you're also being an inconsiderate cunt and pissing other people off with your bullshit. I'm sorry for being rough but as I said, I am no different than you and I think I have the right to call you out on your bullshit if you happen to be roleplaying a self-insert character.

This. This is what it all boils down to. You can't insert yourself into your character, you can base them off you if you must, but the minute you blur that line between the OOC and IC, it's just downhill from there the moment you're in a losing situation. People need to realize it's not always going to be "You" that's on the winning side of things and like you said, if you're having OOC issues it'll only make them worse.

I think there's two different versions of people who are unable to separate the character from themselves. The first being the self insert, as stated above so I won't go on my own tangent about it (it can be seen a lot on facebrowser). Then there's the new rper, the one I have been in the past. In the past I just thought playing multiplayer San Andreas would be fun, and the biggest server was an RP server, so I had to stay in the bounds of RP while also just wanting to play multiplayer San Andreas. For the most part, you can find a lot of those characters will be driving the extravagant sports car while driving trucks to grind money for it. I think someone who's a far better writer than I will ever be should put together a good guide on the forums about the difference between you and your character.

Edited by Torlo

Taking a look at the vice-versa of the situation,

This might be a little unrelated, but sometimes I see role-players complaining about having to wait 15 minutes for LSFD to reach a call, they then make their characters what I like to call 'FD Bashers' after talking all toxic in OOC with friends over this one scene, despite the fact that 15 minutes is reasonable if you relate it to real life where the average at least in the UK is around 16 minutes. If it takes 15 minutes it's typically because it interrupted other role-play that had to be concluded first or the call was far out, and RPly it is a completely reasonable time to respond within, potentially even admirable.

People decide on this unreasonable role-play based on OOC frustration, it's like people who RP that LSFD is a 'lesbian faction' which is the furthest thing from true based on OOC facts they heard from their friends who saw the department over a year ago when it was majority female. Rallying hate towards a fire department is the furthest thing from realism and doesn't make sense, why would your character actively spend time bashing a fire department of all things over having to wait a completely reasonable time to be treated?

Don't get me wrong I'm not blind to issues, I've seen mishaps happen sometimes and that's all in good roleplay, mistakes happen and there are genuine reasons at times to be frustrated at things in roleplay, but waiting 15 minutes?? I mean come on, that's not basis for your entire character to become someone who in real life would be protested against, someone with a hate for emergency medical workers in broad daylight, in real life they'd be absolutely shamed for speaking as ill as they do.

There's definitely a lot of mixing as I see it in respect to how things are treated and it generally all boils down to people needing to be more respective of each-others roleplay and consider other people's characters too, not just their own. For example if I can only get on two hours a day, people shouldn't treat my character like they sleep for 22 hours a day and work for two... It's unreasonable. My thoughts here are a bit all over the place but I hope I paint the picture.

Edited by Freddy Mellet
On 7/15/2020 at 3:20 PM, Freddy Mellet said:

I see role-players complaining about having to wait 15 minutes for LSFD to reach a call,

Traffic happens. Fifteen minutes is one of the better real world response times, as opposed to fifty minutes due to poor road conditions (a constant in the real world.)

My concern is only aimed towards when the fire department fails to show up at all. It has happened only once, though it did make for a somewhat awkward time self-treating an injury. Obviously the FD was busy with more important matters or simply not online at the time, but not even a police vehicle to check? Hmmm.

On 7/15/2020 at 4:36 AM, Pillowy said:

Be courteous to your fellow roleplayers.

On 7/15/2020 at 6:47 AM, Baize said:

People can't distance themselves from their character and people often forget what a community is supposed to be.

And there are a lot of people who don't give a shit about these two ideas.  I don't think the problem is self-insertion into the game at all.  I think the problems come from people who don't bother to control themselves online.  The shit talkers, the screamers, the trolls, and all the people who say insulting/disgusting/outrageous things because they think it's funny.  You know who you are.  These people don't give a fuck about the other players on the server.  They're like little babies that fuss and scream when they don't get their way.  They know better, of course, but they don't care.  As long as no one is forcing them to behave, they're not going to behave, and a lot of them think that it's the staff's fault for failing to force them to behave instead of their own failure to control their personality defects for the few hours they're in game.  One of my characters had an interaction with LSPD recently that was just stupid.  I handled it, it was over, and there was absolutely no reason to oocly argue with the LSPD player or give him a hard time.  For the drama addicts, it would have been an opportunity to get their fix.

In my opinion it's all a matter of being mature enough and separating IC stuff from OOC stuff. Just because my character grew up poor and with disdain for authority it doesn't mean I have to try to make  your RP as hard as possible and act aggressively in /b. And just because someone else's character was in the military and is very lawful it doesn't mean you have to patronize my character and stall 30 minutes for a traffic stop.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:20 AM, Freddy Mellet said:

sometimes I see role-players complaining about having to wait 15 minutes for LSFD to reach a call, they then make their characters what I like to call 'FD Bashers' after talking all toxic in OOC with friends over this one scene, despite the fact that 15 minutes is reasonable if you relate it to real life where the average at least in the UK is around 16 minutes. If it takes 15 minutes it's typically because it interrupted other role-play that had to be concluded first or the call was far out, and RPly it is a completely reasonable time to respond within, potentially even admirable.

It hadn't occurred to me. Fair enough.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:20 AM, Freddy Mellet said:

Taking a look at the vice-versa of the situation,

This might be a little unrelated, but sometimes I see role-players complaining about having to wait 15 minutes for LSFD to reach a call, they then make their characters what I like to call 'FD Bashers' after talking all toxic in OOC with friends over this one scene, despite the fact that 15 minutes is reasonable if you relate it to real life where the average at least in the UK is around 16 minutes. If it takes 15 minutes it's typically because it interrupted other role-play that had to be concluded first or the call was far out, and RPly it is a completely reasonable time to respond within, potentially even admirable.

People decide on this unreasonable role-play based on OOC frustration, it's like people who RP that LSFD is a 'lesbian faction' which is the furthest thing from true based on OOC facts they heard from their friends who saw the department over a year ago when it was majority female. Rallying hate towards a fire department is the furthest thing from realism and doesn't make sense, why would your character actively spend time bashing a fire department of all things over having to wait a completely reasonable time to be treated?

Don't get me wrong I'm not blind to issues, I've seen mishaps happen sometimes and that's all in good roleplay, mistakes happen and there are genuine reasons at times to be frustrated at things in roleplay, but waiting 15 minutes?? I mean come on, that's not basis for your entire character to become someone who in real life would be protested against, someone with a hate for emergency medical workers in broad daylight, in real life they'd be absolutely shamed for speaking as ill as they do.

There's definitely a lot of mixing as I see it in respect to how things are treated and it generally all boils down to people needing to be more respective of each-others roleplay and consider other people's characters too, not just their own. For example if I can only get on two hours a day, people shouldn't treat my character like they sleep for 22 hours a day and work for two... It's unreasonable. My thoughts here are a bit all over the place but I hope I paint the picture.

People forget that the FD is just a faction like the rest. A lot of their members don’t play 24/7 and some have other characters, even then a lot of them still stand ready to respond to IG calls and log on while they were otherwise busy. They boiled down relatively complicated procedures to be understandable and enjoyable for all parties. Truth is; FD can never do things right, if they have to many people they’re paycheck farming. If they have too little they’re inactive. If they have people on call it takes too long for them to respond. If they have complicated medical roleplay they’re incoherent and unpleasant. If they have simple procedures they’re unrealistic and don’t know their shit.

People need to make up their minds, FD is doing pretty good in comparison to a lot of similar counterparts. When a paramedic puts in the effort to gear up and respond to a call that they received out of game and get nothing but shit on, can you blame them when they get demotivated? That’s a huge lack of consideration.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1