Used car dealerships

Aellerix

1 hour ago, Screw said:

Yes, just because they agree to it, you take advantage of people and it does not make any sense, because RL people would not sell their 1 day old car for half of the market price or less. I can understand if a dealership does it every now and then, but to make 500K a day you gotta do it all day every day, which is just scummy and unrealistic. 

You're removing any kind of agency, and more importantly, personal responsibility, from customers if you call this scamming. Scamming involves deception. The customer ends up not getting what they want. This is not possible if they agree to the price. If you're taking advantage of people who are uninformed, that would be a problem. However, the fact that the first post clearly demonstrates that this is something that happens regularly, this means it isn't new players. It is everyone. Do you hear anyone complain about the expensive second hand cars, or the low ball price they got for their trade in? Complain, sure, everyone wants a better deal for themselves, but they can get it if they put in effort. I've never seen a report about this either. It's not scamming, period. Simply because people knowingly agree to the prices.

More dealerships means more choice and more competition, which ultimately benefits customers. There should be no artificial limit on dealerships. Instead, deal with low quality applications and low quality roleplay.

1 minute ago, eMe said:

i thought this would all be common sense really ?

It is common sense. ?

Edited by mj2002

The problem stems that cars like the Drafter 8F that shows 130,000 in /vstats is sold as a brand new (290k and up) one or higher cars with 1500 miles are sold for the brand new price and above that. Problem is people jack prices above what the car really worth. Car price changes were done to multiple vehicles over the last year or so and allot of people who are new to the server and even older players do not know this.

@eMe @mj2002 more over in my opinion reselling a second hand car above what /vstats shows is scamming for all intents and purposes regardless if it's a private entity or a business who does it. Otherwise, why else Nervous go through eh hassle of adding that into /vstats, to prevent people from over paying on cars that had it's car price changed.

As I see it people relatively fail to actually understand why Mileage does play a role in the cars price.

14 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

More dealerships means more choice and more competition, which ultimately benefits customers. There should be no artificial limit on dealerships. Instead, deal with low quality applications and low quality roleplay.

I am all for this idea, let PM deal with poor RP dealers. You see the not serious ones come and go, the ones that stick around do something better. My character never had a beef with another dealer for the entirety of the duration of keeping the lot open, even recommends people check other lots if my lot does not have what they look for.

Edited by Vash Baldeus

Instead, deal with low quality applications and low quality roleplay.

This can pretty much sum up the thread. There's no issue with people creating businesses where there's a market, the issue stems from the fact that many of the people doing it aren't interested in providing quality, immersive roleplay - but maximizing their profits by any means necessary; even if it means sacrificing the former. I've yet to see a used car dealership portrayed properly and it completely puts me off when I see the same names bouncing between different businesses suddenly cropping up to run a dealership simultaneously.

1 minute ago, Anselmi said:

This can pretty much sum up the thread. There's no issue with people creating businesses where there's a market, the issue stems from the fact that many of the people doing it aren't interested in providing quality, immersive roleplay - but maximizing their profits by any means necessary; even if it means sacrificing the former. I've yet to see a used car dealership portrayed properly and it completely puts me off when I see the same names bouncing between different businesses suddenly cropping up to run a dealership simultaneously.

I've seen that done by multiple business owners who start a car lot near their main business to add more revenue.

For example my character ended up running a car lot due to IC events that lead there, not because of money. More over, currently waiting on my office remodel to be done in order to utilize it for sales & add more value to the RP ?

Edited by Vash Baldeus
4 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

The problem stems that cars like the Drafter 8F that shows 130,000 in /vstats is sold as a brand new (290k and up) one or higher cars with 1500 miles are sold for the brand new price and above that. Problem is people jack prices above what the car really worth. Car price changes were done to multiple vehicles over the last year or so and allot of people who are new to the server and even older players do not know this.

@eMe @mj2002 more over in my opinion reselling a second hand car above what /vstats shows is scamming for all intents and purposes regardless if it's a private entity or a business who does it. Otherwise, why else Nervous go through eh hassle of adding that into /vstats, to prevent people from over paying on cars that had it's car price changed.

As I see it people relatively fail to actually understand why Mileage does play a role in the cars price.

I am all for this idea, let PM deal with poor RP dealers. You see the not serious ones come and go, the ones that stick around do something better. My character never had a beef with another dealer for the entirety of the duration of keeping the lot open, even recommends people check other lots if my lot does not have what they look for.

The point is that it does not matter what the /v stats says, if someone wants to pay 50K more than what the stats price suggests and the car has high mileage then on their head be it - it is illogical but it does not make it a scam...

Edited by eMe

There's 2 issues here
1.) people are too lazy to put effort into selling their cars, so they sell it dirt cheap or they just don't know any better and sell it (trust me I saw many examples of this happening)
2.) The dealers who abuse this and make extremely high profits. Then they call this "Character Development" Oh yeah I made 10 million dollars in 2 weeks in my used car dealer let's buy 10 pariahs and a huge house I made it. It's just extremely stupid, but it's really hard to fix, if you put a rule on it, you fucked up open market which isn't all that great.

Just now, eMe said:

The point is that it does not matter what the /v stats says, if someone wants to pay 50K more than what the stats price suggests and the car has high mileage then on their head be it - it is illogical but it does not make it a scam...

I have a friend, bought Drafter 8F for over what a brand new non registered one cost, while /vstats of his say 130k. He had no idea the prices were changed until I told him about it. One of the reasons I avoid buying cars like Drafter 8F, Komoda, Rebla because people over value it up to if not higher than brand new & registered.

Just now, Vash Baldeus said:

I have a friend, bought Drafter 8F for over what a brand new non registered one cost, while /vstats of his say 130k. He had no idea the prices were changed until I told him about it. One of the reasons I avoid buying cars like Drafter 8F, Komoda, Rebla because people over value it up to if not higher than brand new & registered.

If you /report it, they delete the 130k car and replace it with one that says 290k in /vstats. 13 did it for a guy I sold my drafter to before.

Just now, Screw said:

There's 2 issues here
1.) people are too lazy to put effort into selling their cars, so they sell it dirt cheap or they just don't know any better and sell it (trust me I saw many examples of this happening)
2.) The dealers who abuse this and make extremely high profits. Then they call this "Character Development" Oh yeah I made 10 million dollars in 2 weeks in my used car dealer let's buy 10 pariahs and a huge house I made it. It's just extremely stupid, but it's really hard to fix, if you put a rule on it, you fucked up open market which isn't all that great.

Regarding your 2nd point, totally agree, my character has a car collection but the most expensive cars are not above 250k, more over those cars were bought at different times slowly collecting them. I don't like seeing a car dealer do shit like what you said, had multiple instances where a person comes to my lot wants to buy a low end car that is worse than what they have, I openly told them IC that their current car is way better and they should not sell it to downgrade. I was honest, yes, I care for revenue for the business but not to the point where I will fuck over another player for profit.

30 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

@eMe @mj2002 more over in my opinion reselling a second hand car above what /vstats shows is scamming for all intents and purposes regardless if it's a private entity or a business who does it. 

How often does this really happen though? 

Cars where the vstats price doesnt match up with the current sales price should obviously be fixed. These are exceptions.