RP Items Question

El Cid

So I was wondering how the system of item generation works for custom items?  For example, I bought something from a store that was a custom generated item by the owner, and I've seen people selling stuff that were custom items for large sums of money.

Do these items have recognized values in game?  Is it mainly for RP to facilitate unique/cool items?  And if so, am I correct in assuming that businesses that sell/buy these RP/custom items rely on players rping wanting them?  Pawn shops for example?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, colorlessrainbow said:

Here's the feature showcase for the system you're asking about:

The purpose of this is to facilitate unique roleplay, so that each restaurant, as an example, can sell specific food, each coffee shop can sell specific types of coffee and so on.

Right, but in theory, there's no mechanical advantage in game.  Meaning, it's not like a car part you can use to make other items or say, a backpack you can use to carry more inventory right?

And not complaining, I think it's cool and will use it, just making sure I understand it fully. ?

56 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Right, but in theory, there's no mechanical advantage in game.  Meaning, it's not like a car part you can use to make other items or say, a backpack you can use to carry more inventory right?

And not complaining, I think it's cool and will use it, just making sure I understand it fully. ?

Nope. They can make food items using that script that are eatable by the script but offer no other advantage.

• Upvote 1

Correct. Your question is towards the people making custom items worth thousands of dollars. 

All custom goods items are considered equal in the script. A watch sold to your character for $300 is identical, mechanically speaking, to one sold to you for $30,000. The value is strictly in what the players agree on it being. They all cost the same for the business to make.

People have suggested that more expensive items (say a Jewelry store selling ultra expensive jewelry) should cost more to "make" to actually have a realistic value. As it stands, for instance, a jeweler selling you a $30,000 item spends about $100 to make it and it is, in some ways, power game that this jeweler got his hands on an incredibly valuable piece of merchandise for no investment. 

Nervous has commented in other threads, however, that he has no intentions to change this. In another thread, he said that he does not recommend people pay that much for items made with the custom item script, but that's about the extent he spoke on the subject. 

Lots of people have come up with really cute and interesting ways to use the script though, such as a bookstore which sells books, smoke shops which sell pipes and other accessories, or sex shops which sell adult toys. It's a system which allows creativity and roleplay to be at the forefront when used intelligently. 

Edited by Ink
spelled "threads" as "threats" -- ouch
2 hours ago, Ink said:

People have suggested that more expensive items (say a Jewelry store selling ultra expensive jewelry) should cost more to "make" to actually have a realistic value. As it stands, for instance, a jeweler selling you a $30,000 item spends about $100 to make it and it is, in some ways, power game that this jeweler got his hands on an incredibly valuable piece of merchandise for no investment. 

Nervous has commented in other threads, however, that he has no intentions to change this. In another thread, he said that he does not recommend people pay that much for items made with the custom item script, but that's about the extent he spoke on the subject. 

Yikes.

Gotta say it's pretty bogus for businesses to be charging anything north of $500-$1000 with that script. If your character is paying $30,000 bucks for a watch that takes $100 to make OOC (but not IC), that business is making an effortless $29,900 in profit, paving the way to an even more zany and inflated economy and yes, it's powergaming. Money has to be going out to produce items of value or you diminish value overall. 

Hope that gets monitored and stopgaps are put in place to ensure that people running businesses with a high value inventory are being reasonable and fair and portraying the difficulties of business correctly. 

1 hour ago, shrike. said:

Yikes.

Gotta say it's pretty bogus for businesses to be charging anything north of $500-$1000 with that script. If your character is paying $30,000 bucks for a watch that takes $100 to make OOC (but not IC), that business is making an effortless $29,900 in profit, paving the way to an even more zany and inflated economy and yes, it's powergaming. Money has to be going out to produce items of value or you diminish value overall. 

Hope that gets monitored and stopgaps are put in place to ensure that people running businesses with a high value inventory are being reasonable and fair and portraying the difficulties of business correctly. 

It takes $5 to make OOC, not $100.

It's not powergaming however. In real life too, watches that cost $500-$600 for manufacturing end up in the retail for $4k-$5k.

And, also you're not forced to buy an item, even if you just visit the shop and provide roleplay, that is MORE than enough.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:44 AM, shrike. said:

Yikes.

I love that you can make unique items like this, but it seems like having a set amount for creating any item is stopping the system of the full potential.

So couldn't you somehow tag the item with the price it was bought for?  Meaning, if you buy the 30k watch from a custom item shop, it stays at that price from then on.  If I go to a 24/7 and buy a mask.  It's 5k, and everyone knows that's the price.  But if I go to a pawn shop, they're going to pay me way less for it, but at least both sides have a starting point.

But if the custom item is tagged with the price that it was purchased for, say that 30k watch, then if I need to pawn it for quick cash, the guy at the pawn shop can see how much it's 'worth'.  In fact, why not do it like the age range thing on the /examine.  Maybe make the pawn shop guy have a skill that they can get better at that gives them a range of values based on that initial purchase price, to enable haggling a bit more?

Having said that, I don't know if that's a good idea or not, just spaghetti to throw at the wall.:)  Thanks everyone for the info on the question!

• Bash locked this topic