Referring to your character as yourself, usage of /would/.

alina2137

Is it really that deep? Jeez.

"Would I find any drugs on YOU?"
"MY car is scratched up."

The second line should be done in a /my as /my car is scratched up, but if it's done in a /do then I don't see the issue with it. The characters are your characters after all. Doing a /do like "Would I find any drugs on you?" doesn't make the RP any better or worse than doing "Would John find drugs on Jane?".

RPing in past tense is kinda bad though. RP in present tense please. Other than that, I don't mind. 

Edited by Codac
had to include the last line
  • Upvote 1
On 7/11/2020 at 5:46 AM, Renegade said:

Can we talk about the usage of “as (s)he” being a replacement for “then” or “after”?

”/me applies some tape to the car as he puts the mask on”

instead of

”/me applies some tape to the car then he grabs his mask, putting it on” or whatever variation. 

thanks. 

Doesnt work imo. Those two /me mean different things to me.

The first one reads that they are doing the actions at the same time whereas the second they are doing one action then a second action.

Seems like there is a lot of semantics & really a bit of a storm in a teacup.

I realize some people like to be grammar police but many of the above examples are borderline petty, especially when we have many players who don't even learn English as their first language.

I accept when I'm RPing with people that their writing styles will be different. Some words will be slightly misspelled and punctuation won't be perfect. Some people will spell words colour instead of color etc...

As people try and type quickly to keep the flow going, it's inevitable there will be the odd error. 

What's really important is that it's easy enough to understand people & what they are trying to convey. If people's vocabulary is to a standard where you can understand their intentions and not have to wait 10 minutes for a response then i think the rest is just being unnecessarily critical.

• 5 months later...