Referring to your character as yourself, usage of /would/.

alina2137

I don't see a problem with it at all, there are far more important things when it comes to text RP, RP is a medium for creativity and people should be able to express themselves in any manner they please so long as the rules of the server are being followed. I personally don't do it, but I don't look down on people who do it. 

• Upvote 1

I personally have never understood RPing in a conditional tense outside of things that have uncertain outcomes (attempting to pickpocket someone, or something similar that is not guaranteed to succeed). Like, “/me would smile”, for example. Under what condition would they smile? Are they smiling or not? I’ve learned to accept that some people RP in the conditional tense because it’s a problem in Gmod RP servers as well but I can’t say I understand why. 

Your character either does or doesn't. Would has no place in an emote because emotes default to motor, physical actions. I don't know why we need a 7 page argument about it.

Thanks to whoever linked my grammar & emotes guides.

Can we talk about the usage of “as (s)he” being a replacement for “then” or “after”?

”/me applies some tape to the car as he puts the mask on”

instead of

”/me applies some tape to the car then he grabs his mask, putting it on” or whatever variation. 

thanks. 

You guys sure overly care about some petty words. Sheeesh. I knew we all had extra time on our hands as of late, but didn’t know it was this much. ?

”But Memozzy, muh perfect linguistic wet dream”

Edited by Memozzy
  • Upvote 2

I’m not brave enough to enter the debate on which is or isn’t correct. ?

But I will say that from the perspective of someone who has never role played anything before this game, I did find the use of the word “would” confusing because I thought that it meant I was required to respond to confirm a proposition being put to me. After a while I just realised it was a writing choice. But I was genuinely confused by it at first.  

My two cents.

Edited by Greyfeather
Poor word choice, ironically.