Referring to your character as yourself, usage of /would/.

alina2137

Just now, hentai! said:

Yes. I am gonna be sure it's not me. But some new player might be confused and just be like "Oh yeah so like... my character is totally me, I can just go AWOL on some dude in Discord because of something he said to my character IC because there's no difference between this whole IC and OOC shit." and the shitfest will continue.

I gave an example in the original post as to why this happens and proof that it happens. People get confused. In this context, it doesn't even matter anymore that it's a breach of core rules of the gamemode, the concern is people thinking certain things are fine to do.

I think you are taking everything out of context... Especially the words used.

In case everyone misses my point again.

The core rule of roleplay is:

/me and /do must be written in THIRD PERSON,

therefore,

words such as YOU, YOUR, I etc. are not acceptable.

I am once again gonna state that /would/ is not the main concern here and it's pretty much harmless compared to using first person in narrative chats that require you to use third person.

Edited by hentai!
  • Applaud 1

On the topic of words that shouldn't be used. The word "particularly". I don't like it. It's hard to pronounce. Too many L's, you know? There's better synonyms out there.

Or "maneuver". Or is it maneuvre? See, that's the issue. Never know how to spell it, and you might as well say 'move'! Also, it sounds French, and frankly, I don't like the French language.

I think we should limit our vocabulary to four-letter word prose. Who's with me?

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Alexandra_Forge said:

/do Your feet would begin to vibrate as the train passes by.

and

if I am standing next to the train train tracks with 5 other people, describing ambient occurrences as a train goes by.... I am not going to type everyone's name out..

are the issues with you. You simply don't get to decide what my character feels, where he is, what ambient occurences are around him, and so on. I'm the one who is going to decide whether or not my character feels the vibration from the train passing.

Is it wrong? I'll just be honest, who says its wrong? I'm pretty sure thats personal opinion, and the topic is valueless.... What we are trying to do here is turn a game into a literature class filled with null issues.

No one is confused... That in itself is fiction... I am 31, hillbilly, and have played SAMP well over a decade.... I can say that I am guilty of using the word, and I RP around a bunch of wanna be intellectuals on the daily.... never ever ever has anyone stopped and said.. "I'm confused, you used the word 'would'"..

This clearly highlights how trashy your mentality is, for having played SAMP for over a decade and still not understanding such a basic concept. No one is calling you guilty, this thread exists as a headsup to whoever still uses this wrong form of roleplaying in 2020. No one wants to ban you for using it, we're simply suggesting you move on, get better, and stop using it yourself; I personally don't give a fuck about how you role-play, you do you, but bare in mind that if I come across you in-game and see you (not you, but generally someone who does it) writing a single line with /me would, I'll do my best to keep you as distant as possible form me.

This also goes to show that years of experience don't make you a good roleplayer, especially if you keep hanging around the same people and mallrats for years over and over.

9 minutes ago, oslo! said:

and

are the issues with you. You simply don't get to decide what my character feels, where he is, what ambient occurences are around him, and so on. I'm the one who is going to decide whether or not my character feels the vibration from the train passing.

This clearly highlights how trashy your mentality is, for having played SAMP for over a decade and still not understanding such a basic concept. No one is calling you guilty, this thread exists as a headsup to whoever still uses this wrong form of roleplaying in 2020. No one wants to ban you for using it, we're simply suggesting you move on, get better, and stop using it yourself; I personally don't give a fuck about how you role-play, you do you, but bare in mind that if I come across you in-game and see you (not you, but generally someone who does it) writing a single line with /me would, I'll do my best to keep you as distant as possible form me.

This also goes to show that years of experience don't make you a good roleplayer, especially if you keep hanging around the same people and mallrats for years over and over.

I hang around mallrats? And sure.. I guess if I /do The sky is blue your more than allowed to blow smoke.... I don't think vibrations are something your character gets to decide... No one mentioned the feelings, mere obvious ambience, although It sure seems feelings are agitated..

But hey its 2020 and I still don't see a magical book of Roleplay ?‍♀️ 

Imma step out of this condo and go... I suppose hang out with my mall ?'s.

Edited by Alexandra_Forge

I asked y'all nicely to explain to me why using first person in narrative chats (/me and /do - both of which require you to use third person) is correct and y'all are still on about the word /would/. I said /would/ doesn't matter anymore, it's a harmless thing that came from gmod RP and I can roll with it. My question was WHY when you don't need to, but yes, indeed, you do you.

Now please move on from throwing shit at each other and keep this civil. And PLEASE explain why first person use in the aforementioned chats is considered acceptable and proper here.

Just now, hentai! said:

I asked y'all nicely to explain to me why using first person in narrative chats (/me and /do - both of which require you to use third person) is correct and y'all are still on about the word /would/. I said /would/ doesn't matter anymore, it's a harmless thing that came from gmod RP and I can roll with it. My question was WHY when you don't need to, but yes, indeed, you do you.

Now please move on from throwing shit at each other and keep this civil. And PLEASE explain why first person use in the aforementioned chats is considered acceptable and proper here.

It shouldn't be, forgot to mention that in my last message where I talked about using "would", and honestly I don't recall seeing anyone doing it during my playtime here, thus why I focused more about the "would" issue, which is more consistent and occurrent from my perspective.