An honest discussion about the upcoming election

Trupiano

13 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

The same time, that alters the dynamic uncomfortably. As if it was elected for state gov, then every department leader could be fired/replaced. Which is FM's job, not a random citizen who got lucky's job. 

No, not quite. Firing/replacing state agency leaders will obviously not be done by usual players within the State Government, that decision is up to Nervous and Legal FM. I'm sure that's not even something that would be advocated for anyway if a transition happens. The idea regardless is for every faction leader to run their faction however they like, within the rules. The State Government won't actively intervene in a faction's affair and outright remove/replace faction leaders.

Edited by Justitiae
19 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

The same time, that alters the dynamic uncomfortably. As if it was elected for state gov, then every department leader could be fired/replaced. Which is FM's job, not a random citizen who got lucky's job. 

The Governor and Lt.Governor ultimately hold that power. I clearly talked about Senate and Assembly elections. Not Governor elections who should just be the Head of Legal Factions (as in; not an elected position, but a FM position)

The potential for this to both innovative and fun is most definitely there. My thoughts are in line with most others in this post, it needs to be done in a way that won't allow the office to become a puppet figure for some illegal faction. Not that they can't have an influence, but rather any gov positions shouldn't simply turn into an extension of the mob, a street gang, etc.

3 hours ago, Justitiae said:

Personally, I'd like to see a transition to a State Government instead of a City Government. Why? A State Government can actively create policy that affects the entirety of the state. A local ordinance written by the City Council for instance only affects the inhabitants of that city, its jurisdiction does not extend beyond that. On the other hand, a State Legislature would fundamentally operate the same way a City Council does, but would discuss issues pertaining to businesses and properties, etc. throughout the entire state. The administrative division in this case would be simpler and more effective.

This. And it also makes me question..."What about the county?". 
If the Finance Dep. runs business checks and licensing in the county and all the state, then so be the whole government. I think State Government is more fruitful. No one will abuse their powers without going through Nervous and Legal FM anyway.

Edited by Gambler

I'm very wary of opportunists trying to take over via that COO position. I understand a lot of people have a disdain for gov, but it is actually a functioning faction at it's core and was slowly but surely developing a strong foundation as it branched into other departments. Yes, there were no "politics", but there is more to municipal government RP than politics. I partook in government role-play for a year and a half, and retired from my position a week ago. There's more than meets the eye when it comes down to it, and I hope legal FM proceeds very carefully and picks someone who is level headed, patient, and someone who won't kowtow to forum drama.

The COO role, previously, was an administrative role more than anything, they managed human resources, created rules for the faction, wrote legislation, and managed the varying departments. I really do hope whoever finds themselves in this position does it justice, and truly understands what the government faction is at it's core. I'd like to take a moment to remind those of you interested in gov RP, politics, and this COO position, that a house is only as strong as it's foundation, people shouldn't be jumping the gun on misc. political issues without the city functioning at a basic departmental level. It's a lot of writing, guide crafting, form filling and pencil pushing, these are all things that need to be done for that strong foundation to be set up- and for there to be fruitful role-play opportunities for the masses. Thanks for reading, good luck and I hope those of you getting into political/gov RP heed my advice.

PS: Very worried that our next mayor/coo will pull up in a sports car with glow in the dark shoes, if you are reading and you have either of these, please get rid of them.

• Upvote 5
59 minutes ago, UTOPIA said:

I'd like to take a moment to remind those of you interested in gov RP, politics, and this COO position, that a house is only as strong as it's foundation, people shouldn't be jumping the gun on misc. political issues without the city functioning at a basic departmental level. It's a lot of writing, guide crafting, form filling and pencil pushing, these are all things that need to be done for that strong foundation to be set up- and for there to be fruitful role-play opportunities for the masses.

what are some examples of these highlighted things you've said?

edit: just curious because of my own interests in the roleplay, and not the OOC part. i'd like to steer clear of having to essentially have a job in a video-game that causes me undue stress when I just want to develop a character or story

Edited by Tacoburger
1 hour ago, UTOPIA said:

I'm very wary of opportunists trying to take over via that COO position. I understand a lot of people have a disdain for gov, but it is actually a functioning faction at it's core and was slowly but surely developing a strong foundation as it branched into other departments. Yes, there were no "politics", but there is more to municipal government RP than politics. I partook in government role-play for a year and a half, and retired from my position a week ago. There's more than meets the eye when it comes down to it, and I hope legal FM proceeds very carefully and picks someone who is level headed, patient, and someone who won't kowtow to forum drama.

The COO role, previously, was an administrative role more than anything, they managed human resources, created rules for the faction, wrote legislation, and managed the varying departments. I really do hope whoever finds themselves in this position does it justice, and truly understands what the government faction is at it's core. I'd like to take a moment to remind those of you interested in gov RP, politics, and this COO position, that a house is only as strong as it's foundation, people shouldn't be jumping the gun on misc. political issues without the city functioning at a basic departmental level. It's a lot of writing, guide crafting, form filling and pencil pushing, these are all things that need to be done for that strong foundation to be set up- and for there to be fruitful role-play opportunities for the masses. Thanks for reading, good luck and I hope those of you getting into political/gov RP heed my advice.

PS: Very worried that our next mayor/coo will pull up in a sports car with glow in the dark shoes, if you are reading and you have either of these, please get rid of them.

That's not even my worry, my worry is some mobster shows up, somehow wins and absolutely buries all legal factions except their own legal fronts (or doesnt give all legal factions fair chances and only picks those which are their friends.) I've seen this type of S*** happen and it gives me nightmares if it happens here.

14 minutes ago, Tacoburger said:

what are some examples of these highlighted things you've said?

edit: just curious because of my own interests in the roleplay, and not the OOC part. i'd like to steer clear of having to essentially have a job in a video-game that causes me undue stress when I just want to develop a character or story

To address this, a COO/City Manager as its normally referred too. They have to make sure the licensing codes are in order, respond to licensing apps, post job applications, work as the direct liaison with all departments, host meetings, provide targets (non political) and essentially make sure the government runs minus all the political chest beating which is associated with a mayoral role. It is truly one of the single most stressful but also single most important role anyone can have on a server, even beating out the mayor or even the Chief of Police in my eyes.

Edited by Mecovy
Just now, Mecovy said:

That's not even my worry, my worry is some mobster shows up, somehow wins and absolutely buries all legal factions except their own legal fronts (or doesnt give all legal factions fair chances and only picks those which are their friends.) I've seen this type of S*** happen and it gives me nightmares if it happens here.

Like that is going to happen, do you really think LFM will allow that?

• mj2002 locked this topic