ULSA - RP?

Hi again,

Thanks for everyone's interest and the offers and PM's people have sent me.

I've been advised to setup a discord channel to help discuss & progress this idea, so if you'd like to take part in the discussion, please feel free to join here: https://discord.gg/Qrk3wXU   (I'll also add this to the OP).

All opinions are welcome, I'd like to make this as fun for as many people as possible,

Thanks!

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy

Hi all,

Just a quick update - the discord link had expired - apologies for that, I'd not set it to not expire!

I've created a new link which is set to indefinite so it should avoid any problems in the future: https://discord.gg/Qrk3wXU (first post also updated).

If anyone's interested in joining, please do, any feedback or input into making this project work would be appreciated!

On that note, I have been in discussions with Legal Faction Management about ULSA and the possibility of a university faction and in the meantime trying to meet and introduce characters ICly via the in-game options we have available.

We've had some amusing RP on campus, hanging out on the bleachers as well as plenty down at the pier, so thanks to everyone who's been involved!

Go team!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Some great news for anyone wanting to RP at ULSA. We applied as a Legal faction and were approved earlier in the week!

There is a lot of work for us to do; setting up our faculty and senior positions within the Student's union, configuring all the IG UCP faction settings and of course putting together faction content for forums, IC posts and events etc.

ULSA will offer a break from gang RP for those wishing to partake in a more fun and friendly environment. Please note we are a legal faction. While minor misdemeanors typical of student behavior will be allowed and handled IC, it is unlikely you'll be allowed to join if you're intending to play a character with a serious criminal history or intent.

I'd invite anyone who's interested in this journey to join our discord. We'll be updating things regularly over the next week or two and looking to recruit players interested in senior positions within both the Student and Faculty branches. If such a position interests you, feel free to PM me either here or on discord and we'll see if we can work something out.

Thanks to everyone who's been joining in and having fun already, I'm really looking forward to sharing laughs and fun with you all!

Go ULSA!

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

Hi,

We won't write your backstory & it's left entirely to the player, though we do ask it's believable - As an example; you aren't studying your PhD at 18 when you have yet to earn an undergraduate a degree, or if you are wanting to be a faculty member with a PhD, your character is of a realistic age to have acquired one.

Take a look at the info/read-me page on discord, there is more info there & i'm happy to field questions / PM's.

For criminal faction people wanting to join, the answer isn't black and white and will need to be considered on a case by case basis.

1) OOCly - characters aren't allowed to be a member of more than 1 faction without permission from both faction leaders - so it's not entirely up to myself as your gang leader would also need to agree OOCly.

2) If you've already got a criminal record for serious crime, then the university is extremely unlikely to accept you. I won't say impossible as we haven't as a faction decided where the line is between a straight refusal because of priors and where the line between serious and no so serious crime is.

Off the top of my head (and I stress, I will talk this through with LFM and heed their advice), concessions might be given for great RP and a good admin record. I do see room for a 'trial' period, where someone wanting to make a better life for themselves after doing something like a non-lethal but semi serious assault charge could go through an IC RP process (via faculty interviews and meeting students without being a total knob cheese), to gain approval and acceptance.

Perhaps even having character witnesses from good standing members of the community such as doctors and psychologists vouching for the individual  would be an option depending on the prior crimes / background etc.

A few things I think you should consider:

The IC realism of paying huge tuition fees - unless they're serious about making a better life for themselves, why would they endebt themselves to such a huge degree (Just course fees at UCLA for instance are over $13k per year, before living costs)?

The OOC expectation your character will be splitting their time between both factions fairly evenly.

The OOC expectation that your character is now part of a legal faction and will behave in a mostly legal way - is that going to put you at odds with your crime faction, or will they be comfortable seeing one of their own trying to make good for themselves?

Those are just some thoughts to consider & it is something ULSA needs to talk about in more depth. With the above taken into account; If you're genuine I'm not ruling it immediately out, however if you are looking to join a faction and still play a gang member on campus, then we won't be the faction for you.

8 hours ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Just a quick update.

Some great news for anyone wanting to RP at ULSA. We applied as a Legal faction and were approved earlier in the week!

There is a lot of work for us to do; setting up our faculty and senior positions within the Student's union, configuring all the IG UCP faction settings and of course putting together faction content for forums, IC posts and events etc.

ULSA will offer a break from gang RP for those wishing to partake in a more fun and friendly environment. Please note we are a legal faction. While minor misdemeanors typical of student behavior will be allowed and handled IC, it is unlikely you'll be allowed to join if you're intending to play a character with a serious criminal history or intent.

I'd invite anyone who's interested in this journey to join our discord. We'll be updating things regularly over the next week or two and looking to recruit players interested in senior positions within both the Student and Faculty branches. If such a position interests you, feel free to PM me either here or on discord and we'll see if we can work something out.

Thanks to everyone who's been joining in and having fun already, I'm really looking forward to sharing laughs and fun with you all!

Go ULSA!

Congratulations!

Hope I can join to enrich the RP of university. Go ULSA!

• 5 months later...