The recent riots

xdthe

8 minutes ago, Jedbediah said:

The Cop was not in such a risk of dying to necessitate such an immediate use of force. Even knife wielding lunatics should not be shot, that is the point I'm attempting to make.

I'm not trying to go down this route, I just thought it was an interesting point that got up about script limitations affecting IC actions. Something that's always been on my mind with how heavy the server is on the actual game mechanics n' all.

What's the big deal exactly about mentioning BLM / George Floyd at a protest around police brutality? It seems like several people take it as fact that it's "bad rp" to mention these, and I really don't get it.

Edited by arrdef
Just now, arrdef said:

What's the big deal exactly about mentioning BLM / George Floyd at a protest around police brutality?

Personally I'd say it could lead to insensitive individuals mocking the actual BLM movement, via trolling & whatnot.

1 hour ago, Jedbediah said:

No no, don't get me wrong I agree that two swings to down someone is a bit much but also that being in the 'downed' state shouldn't be met with such a force in this scenario mainly because if someone were to try and "finish the job" so to speak it would be incredibly poor portrayal and isn't really an IC issue at that point (Can't speak to the scenario in specific as was not there but I'd imagine it highly unrealistic for someone to try and kill a downed officer with a melee weapon if other officers are in such a proximity where they could've responded in the way they did), but getting downed shouldn't be the end of the world especially for such a large presence of Emerg. One cop being "knocked unconcious" should still be met with a taser, the shooting was not justified (but still, again, unfortunately realistic.) The Cop was not in such a risk of dying to necessitate such an immediate use of force. Even knife wielding lunatics should not be shot, that is the point I'm attempting to make. If they (the offenders, not the Emerg.) fail to roleplay tasers that is not an IC issue.

Hammers can easily cripple, maim, and break bones. Imagine you hit a rib and it stabs their lug.

Just now, arrdef said:

What's the big deal exactly about mentioning BLM / George Floyd at a protest around police brutality? It seems like several people take it as fact that it's "bad rp" to mention these, and I really don't get it.

Its a sensitive topic. We don't want that kind of environment especially for affected persons. Also, its one of those things that can easily spill into ooc political discussions and be poorly portrayed.

The issue is that the words "George Floyd" these days come at the heels of any statement regarding police violence and ethnic relations. If people troll, they can be punished without resorting to a blanket ban on the G-name and the F-surname and the B-acronym.

I've had loved ones lose themselves to drugs and traffic accidents, I don't curl up and cry when I see drugs IG or when retards have their chars go 100mph+ on the road. Nor do I demand the server caters to some crazy sensitivities I may have; I'd much sooner seek (professional) help.

Edited by arrdef
2 minutes ago, arrdef said:

The issue is that the words "George Floyd" these days come at the heels of any statement regarding police violence and ethnic relations. If people troll, they can be punished without resorting to a blanket ban on the G-name and the F-surname and the B-acronym.

I've had friends lose themselves to drugs, I don't curl up and cry when I see drugs IG.

Whilst I don't particularly understand why mention of the Floyd incident is prohibited, I've seen the people doing a good workaround of referencing the person who was shot dead last night in-game instead. It's a fair substitute.

Edited by rams

It's catering to a minority of players who get off on being outraged and faking extreme reactions to works of fiction, and it's a policy that'll slowly but surely drive people away from many spheres of roleplay if it's enforced.

Edited by arrdef

George Floyd's death didn't happen in game.  It didn't happen in the characters' world, so no character would know to say it.  That's why I want to hear the names of the characters who got shot in game, because it happened in the characters' world.

Edited by jcat
  • Groz locked this topic