The recent riots

xdthe

1 hour ago, Gambler said:

Was expected for someone to yell dumb stuff.

1 hour ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

I DO AGREE that the mention of George Floyd is a little jarring don't get me twisted and I'd rather people use actual IC events when possible

You're right, but it would have been so much better if people could've yelled out the name of the guy who got shot.  It would've have really improved the whole rp.

Were there any news reporter characters on the scene?  They could've used an ad as a news report (with admin permission if necessary) to inform people about what happened, so people wouldn't have to resort to mentioning OOC events. 

4 minutes ago, Wisci said:

The people shot on Covenant were not unarmed.

Maybe there was someone struck in crossfire not included in the footage I reviewed, but the two people shot (including Jamal) during the catalyst event were swinging hammers at the SD/PD. I want to clear this up OOC. I even could see officers with guns drawn dodging punches to avoid shooting an unarmed suspect.

If this is the case it doesn’t matter IC. I’d much rather like to believe that they were unarmed IC and I’m sure a lot of people would as it gives a valid reason to riot. Irl confusion and false information does happen.

Just now, xdthe said:

If this is the case it doesn’t matter IC. I’d much rather like to believe that they were unarmed IC and I’m sure a lot of people would as it gives a valid reason to riot.

Exactly.  It was about having some fun action/crime roleplay.

As far as my response goes, I for the most part enjoyed the event and the character deleopment, but I saw more examples of poor roleplay than positive roleplay. A riot was started over a justified shooting when someone was stupid enough to pull a hammer in a fight with law enforcement. Before any real news was out, you had people jumping in on the action and violence that were lawful characters from wealthy areas. 

I also didn't like how many people borrowed slogans from the real life riots. But that's just my opinion I guess, asking for originality is difficult universally on the server.

That said, yes for more server wide events even if admins have to be involved. I just hope we can learn from mistakes here and improve in the future.

Just now, jcat said:

Exactly.  It was about having some fun action/crime roleplay.

Not what I’m trying to say. Irl people believe what they wanna believe if it fuels their agenda. A lot of BLM pages on FaceBrowser said that he was unarmed so people got riled up. However I do know someone was still shot because they punched an officer. People have gotten riled up irl over situations which they don’t know the full context of. 

Edited by xdthe
Just now, Wisci said:

justified shooting
Someone was stupid enough to pull a hammer in a fight with law enforcement.

Pick one, shooting someone with a blunt weapon is not an appropriate response, even though it is unfortunately realistic. This is not really a point of discussion IMO.

4 minutes ago, jcat said:

You're right, but it would have been so much better if people could've yelled out the name of the guy who got shot.  It would've have really improved the whole rp.

During the city hall protest there were plenty of people shouting the names of those who had been killed Ic. Didn’t see the mention of George Floyd once either, but that’s just me.

1 minute ago, xdthe said:

If this is the case it doesn’t matter IC. I’d much rather like to believe that they were unarmed IC and I’m sure a lot of people would as it gives a valid reason to riot. Irl confusion and false information does happen.

I was only trying to clear this up OOC. People are using the fact they were unarmed OOC and the ones shot initially were actively swinging lethal melee weapons at LEOs. I don't want people looking negatively at what happened due to a misunderstanding IC, OOC.

That said, IC is IC. People are misinformed, that's not an OOC issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Groz locked this topic