Questions re: California in GTA:W

Ink

I like to keep it fairly simple and I think i've got it down to not cause any conflicts.

San Andreas is a state (a 51st state) OR it's a US overseas territory like Guam or US Virgin Islands OR a special administrative zone like the District of Colombia. How close it is to the mainland, is irrelevant but I like to think of it as about 20 miles off the coast of the West coast of US. Just far enough to be out of line of sight, but not too far as to restrict the possibility of driving there by taking a ferry (hence the existence of North Yankton plates on people's cars IG). It also means people can say "oh the mainland etc", it also explains why Los Santos and San Andreas has no corona cases, no wide spread riots because we are an Island off the coast and there for are removed from the crazy of mainland US

I also LIMIT or try to actively avoid mentioning California per say but I will or do refference other towns of no significance in our world, IE San Diego, Fresno, Sacramento ETC.

If think if everyone adopts this sort of idea and style it's a lot easier. San Andreas is a specially goverened zone where standard US laws are a little different and don't apply and sometimes silly to people. like tinted windows. 

IDK, I like how I roleplay it, it makes sense with no conflicts of interest. 

13 hours ago, Chef said:

There's supposed to be a whole staff team dedicated to establishing and maintaining continuity, which this falls right in line with. 

Personally, I will always use the Rockstar equivalents that exist. As said earlier, why would there be two cities that are near a 1:1 of eachother? Makes zero sense.

It's basically been confirmed as well that Red Dead is the same universe, so those states can replace certain Southern States as well such as Texas, Louisiana, etc.

This. I’d love to hear from the continuity team. 

If the logic is that we're a small island that is almost entirely identical to a small portion of California, does it not also seem ridiculous that GTA IV would employ a mirror of New York City and only have a tiny tiny part of New Jersey (Jersey City AKA Alderney) attached to their replica? I like to think that named locations are replacements that would (realistically) be a lot bigger than they're portrayed in the games, if for no reason other than engine and map design purposes.

If you're adamant about entertaining real life events that are happening ingame, I don't personally have any gripe against that, so long as you're not using LA and the neighbouring county that Blaine is based around. If something happens in NYC or Miami or something, I've never taken issue with ppl saying 'oh did u hear about that thing in Liberty City' or, 'hey did u hear about Vice City having that...'

There's very very little you would have to change about your character being from South Central Los Santos vs South Central Los Angeles. To suggest there are random city-sized states just sitting around in America feels tacky and asinine, and for a server whose selling points are immersion and storytelling, the concept of the aforementioned just feels goofy.

• Upvote 1

San Andreas shouldnt be a new state, just the in game name for California. Los Santos replaces Los Angeles, and sandy shores, paletto, replace nearby LA areas. San Andreas would be a bigger State, with cities such as San Diego, Sacramento and San Francisco.

Las Venturas, Liberty City, Vice City, they don't appear on GTA V, so I dont think they are needed at all. 

3 hours ago, Lucie said:

Las Venturas, Liberty City, Vice City, they don't appear on GTA V, so I dont think they are needed at all. 

References to all of those places exist in GTA 5 and they're all part of the lore.