Questions re: California in GTA:W

Ink

We shouldn't roleplay California as a separate state and or existing — it creates a weird dynamic of role play. San Andreas roleplays the aesthetics of California, and that is how it should be. Las Venturas is Las Venturas (Aesthetics of Las Vegas) and San Fierro is San Fierro (Aesthetics of San Fran) and that is how it should be role played. 

San Fierro, Las Venturas and wherever else in the GTA universe still exist, and should be role played, but the aesthetics (the stuff YOU roleplay around these cities) are what matters.

Think of San Andreas as California just coated in a different color of paint — it's the aesthetic and the dynamic we have formed that allow us to role play this, and to not do so (when everything in game is based off of that area) would be an injustice.

Edited by owen

I always assumed that San Andreas takes the role of California in our universe the same way that Liberty City takes the place of New York City and Vice City takes the place of the City of Miami. Why would San Andreas and California both exist with exactly the same famous places and agencies? Does the LASD exist alongside the LSSD? Does the LAPD exist alongside the LSPD? Does the Del Perro Pier exist whilst being exactly the same as Santa Monica Pier? Does Rockford Hills exist whilst being exactly the same as Beverly Hills?

Edited by rams
  • Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Declan said:

It just makes no sense to have California as a state alongside San Andreas. Why would there be two identical states? Rockstar quite clearly used California as their influence for San Andreas, it makes no sense for someone to fly from LSX to LAX to visit the sights in LA that are the exact same as they are in LS.

Everything we portray is based off of California, except our laws weirdly enough.

Because that's what the lore is. Identical or not, you can't say they are the same because objectively they aren't. The best you can say is San Andreas is based on California. 

If you say San Andreas is California, we incur in a paradox. Why? Ask yourself this: Is California San Andreas? No. But San Andreas is California? It's fallacious and preposterous.

Taking inspiration or using particular ideas from something doesn't imply that they are the same, that's where the line trends. If I make a drawing and base it up on someone, does that mean they are the same? If I produce a movie that is based on a true story, does that mean they are the same? No and no.

Just now, Shaderz said:

Because that's what the lore is. Identical or not, you can't say they are the same because objectively they aren't. The best you can say is San Andreas is based on California. 

If you say San Andreas is California, we incur in a paradox. Why? Ask yourself this: Is California San Andreas? No. But San Andreas is California? It's fallacious and preposterous.

Taking inspiration or using particular ideas from something doesn't imply that they are the same, that's where the line trends. If I make a drawing and base it up on someone, does that mean they are the same? If I produce a movie that is based on a true story, does that mean they are the same? No and no.

So you're saying it would be perfectly acceptable for someone to lateral from the the Los Angeles Police Department to the Los Santos Police Department? 

Just now, Declan said:

So you're saying it would be perfectly acceptable for someone to lateral from the the Los Angeles Police Department to the Los Santos Police Department? 

Yes. Many people roleplay they were born and raised in California and as far as I know when it comes to their origins they have not been questioned about that particular aspect because it's legitimate. Transferring from the LAPD to the LSPD should be possible because the same logic applies here, while LSPD may be based on LAPD, the essential truth is they are not the same agencies.

Just now, Shaderz said:

Yes. Many people roleplay they were born and raised in California and as far as I know when it comes to their origins they have not been questioned about that particular aspect because it's legitimate. Transferring from the LAPD to the LSPD should be possible because the same logic applies here, while LSPD may be based on LAPD, the essential truth is they are not the same agencies.

How do you justify them having an almost identical ranking structure, uniforms, cruisers, etc.?

Edited by Matthew
1 minute ago, Matthew said:

How do you justify them having an almost identical ranking structure, uniforms, cruisers, etc.?

To add to this, are there two Twin Towers Correctional Facilities in our universe?

my character transferred from the LSPD in gta: san andreas to the LSPD in GTA 5's san andreas (i roleplay GTA san andreas' san andreas as being on an island to the west of GTA 5#s san andreas). this is because they both look different in a lot of ways, including streets, land sizes, and graphics, so they're two separate places. sometimes my character might say he's "going back to san andreas to visit family in blueberry" and this normally creates some confusion with other characters, but then my character will just explain IC that there is a second san andreas on a different island nearby.

• Upvote 10
Just now, Matthew said:

How do you justify them having an almost identical ranking structure, uniforms, cruisers, and general operations?

Because the LSPD is meant to be based on the LAPD? Surely certain aspects are identical but does that really make them /the same/? The keyword here is "based on". It's literally in the lore of the game. 

I'll ask you a similar question I did earlier. If LSPD /is/ LAPD, is LAPD LSPD too? 

1 hour ago, Ink said:
  • Is San Andreas a 51st state, or does it replace California?
  • Is San Andreas actually an island as it is portrayed in the game or is it connected to mainland USA? Is there "more" of San Andreas that we're not seeing in our GTA V map?
  • If California exists, does it also have its own Los Angeles or is there a San Andreas sized hole missing in California approximately where Los Angeles would be?
  • Does San Fierro exist in San Andreas even though it's not in our game world, and if so is it part of the island or some unseen landmass in San Andreas? Or is it part of California?
  • For that matter, is Las Venturas still part of San Andreas, or is it in Nevada?
  • Do we roleplay San Andreas, officially, as being larger than it is in-game close to "reality," or are we supposed to RP its size as being consistent with the in-game world? In real life, it takes about an hour and a half to drive from downtown Los Angeles to Bakersfield (Grapeseed) without traffic. In our game world it can take about 2-3 minutes. Is there a happy middle ground we're encouraged to RP where maybe ICly it takes closer to 30 minutes to an hour to get to the edge of the island? 
  • Is Los Santos roleplayed as having a real life population closer to Los Angeles irl, or close to our player count? Are we assuming we live in a city with a massive population, or are we living in a busy smaller city? IRL Los Angeles is composed of like 20+ cities and has a population of close to 4 million people. Our game server has, what, 60,000 registered characters iirc? That's already an impressive population, but it doesn't account for any NPCs like our highschool systems, sewer systems, electrical companies, hospital staff, etc.

These are just my opinions.

• San Andreas is supposed to replace California, just like Liberty City is supposed to replace NYC.
  • San Andreas is an island because that was the only feasible way Rockstar could make a game map.  I don't imagine it as an island in GTAW.  I straighten out the coast and imagine it in a north to south line, with Paleto in the north, and Los Santos pretty much at the southern end.  In GTA:SA they even made Las Vegas an island.
  • I include San Fierro as an unseen part to the north of my imaginary interpretation of the map.
  • I rp San Andreas as being larger than the in game map, since the map is the way it is because of Rockstar's software and hardware constraints.
  • I rp Los Santos as something like Detroit, a city that was once large but has suffered depopulation for a variety of reasons.  This is my way of accounting for all the buildings but hardly any people.  In practice, I treat it like a small town or a neighborhood.

• Upvote 1