PD/SD ignoring uninteresting roleplay

Aellerix

LSSD has been the epitome of good LEO roleplay since I've joined. They hold an extremely high standard and are not there for pursuits and shootouts at all. This is what I've observed. While I see a certain ignorance from both sides when you do specific things and this is mainly because it seems very troll-y and looks like you're just trying to get a pursuit or bait cops or so.

However it would be nice even if they would attend and roleplay with you even if it was cop baiting because that's supposed to be reported OOCly.

6 minutes ago, Tseard said:

You can't blame law enforcement officers on the tinted windows. I'd bet 90% of the people who buy a car get tinted windows. If I would stop every car that I'd see, then I wouldn't be able to attend any other situations or focus on other subjects. The citations made for it isn't going to stop people from putting it on. 

If you feel like the police is neglecting its duties, why not head over to the government and send in an complaint? If the mayor gets dozen of messages about it, he'll have to act or it will reflect bad on him. 

To break it down, I've been in the LSSD since the beginning (which started in early january), I only participate in pursuits like 2/3 times a week and I still have to get into my first shootout. Our faction compromises of people who are here for the more laid back, slow and developing roleplay, rather than shootouts or pursuits. This is advertised everywhere on our forums. If you would've done a little bit more research, then your topic and your complaint would be more reasonable. 

I invite you to sign up for our ride along here so you can take a look at what we all do on a regular day. It's very easy writing off a topic about what the police do wrong and what they should improve on when you are standing on the sideline. 

I am not saying that the police is not already busy with other issues, not at all, but that doesn't mean that they should disregard any offences. If that's the case, just take the 'light' stuff out of the penal code, since it's not being applied anyway. The citations might not stop people, but getting into a traffic stop every time you take your car out definitely will make people reconsider. Tinted windows are an isolated case. Do you think that a police car would approach someone for loitering? There's many others. If there's a penal code, it should be applied properly and fully, not on a case-by-case basis.

I'm not saying that you personally are not doing things right. I'm not trying to target anyone, specifically, but rather raise awareness to a more general issue that has to be handled by whoever has the power and duty to.

Even if you see someone swerving chaotically and you think they're trolling or provoking, you should look into it before you act on it. If someone drives right into my vehicle, I can't just back off and leave, thinking they were just trying to stir things up. I have to get out and role-play. I can't ignore it. 

It is not my responsibility to drive around and get plates and names of 9/10 police cars and officers that pass by me and then spend my IG time on filing complaints, writing essays and gathering evidence. Nor would it make any sense whatsoever for my current character. That is why I am here, on the sidelines, pointing it out. It is not my duty to find a solution, but I have the freedom to notice that something is not rigth and give whoever is in charge the responsibility to look into it.

1 minute ago, Aellerix said:

I am not saying that the police is not already busy with other issues, not at all, but that doesn't mean that they should disregard any offences. If that's the case, just take the 'light' stuff out of the penal code, since it's not being applied anyway. The citations might not stop people, but getting into a traffic stop every time you take your car out definitely will make people reconsider. Tinted windows are an isolated case. Do you think that a police car would approach someone for loitering? There's many others. If there's a penal code, it should be applied properly and fully, not on a case-by-case basis.

Most things that I've observed being disregarded are minor. However, I've also seen people get ticketed for minor things just because they've been giving LEOs a hard time. It honestly varies...

However, as Tseard has said, do feel free to apply for a ridealong and see how the other point of view is like. It's an eye opening experience, for sure.

Just now, Wirbelwind said:

Most things that I've observed being disregarded are minor. However, I've also seen people get ticketed for minor things just because they've been giving LEOs a hard time. It honestly varies...

However, as Tseard has said, do feel free to apply for a ridealong and see how the other point of view is like. It's an eye opening experience, for sure.

It would make no sense for my character, an uneducated redneck who barely travels to the city and is not a legal nor illegal character, to go on a ride-along. I have been part of many LEO factions, here included, so I know the works - in general, anyway.

Yes, mos of the things are minor, but not all of them. Not once did I notice vehicles speeding at 100mph through intersections, passing by police vehicles that just ended up making a right turn and leaving. That's not minor. Realistically speaking, that could leave multiple people seriously injured, if not dead. There's many examples. However, the minor things shouldn't be disregarded either, or else it will only look like the law enforcement factions are using the penal code on a case by case basis. At least, if they're not being used, take them out of the penal code. Otherwise it just seems like they're not doing their jobs.

And I agree, from my interactions with the LSSD, I love their roleplay and characters' development. It is different. I'm also not talking about change, I am strictly talking about improvement. 

Um.. literally had this situation the other day. Drunk guy in a truck. Guy drank fifteen bottles of vodka in a day apparently. Didn't ignore it, was really good fun dealing with it. Was it you? Because it was all very well roleplayed. Myself and @xanx had fun with it. Only issue we had was the fifteen bottles of vodka which in reality would probably kill you but we got that cleared up as the guy didn't really know much about alcohol. ?

Just now, SULLI said:

Um.. literally had this situation the other day. Drunk guy in a truck. Guy drank fifteen bottles of vodka in a day apparently. Didn't ignore it, was really good fun dealing with it. Was it you? Because it was all very well roleplayed. Myself and @xanx had fun with it. Only issue we had was the fifteen bottles of vodka which in reality would probably kill you but we got that cleared up as the guy didn't really know much about alcohol. ?

Yes, that was me! And I agree, the role-play was really fun. Okay, excuse my lack of real-life knowledge around alcohol consumption, but yeah, we cleared that up. We did end up having the scenario but before we did, I've spent two hours trying to get there. That's what was so annoying, especially since it happens on more than a regular basis!

I'm definitely not saying that everyone is like that - @SULLI and @xanx are definitely not, but there's a lot who are and something needs to improve, in my opinion.

Just now, Aellerix said:

However, the minor things shouldn't be disregarded either, or else it will only look like the law enforcement factions are using the penal code on a case by case basis. At least, if they're not being used, take them out of the penal code. Otherwise it just seems like they're not doing their jobs.

And I agree, from my interactions with the LSSD, I love their roleplay and characters' development. It is different. I'm also not talking about change, I am strictly talking about improvement. 

So, my character should stop everyone she spots, slap them with jaywalking tickets, then further this by going up to improperly parked vehicles and leaving nice presents under their windshield wipers? If I stopped for every minor violation of the penal code, I'd barely get to even drive. It'd just be a monotonous process of taking pictures and writing tickets and honestly just souring everyone's roleplay. Some of the best roleplay I've had as a LEO stems from being lenient towards minor things in-character. Other characters appreciate it, and it further develops a relationship which can help my character reach her goals.

Absolutely not. It's a case-by-case basis.

I'm not here to police the server, I'm here to provide quality roleplay for people to enjoy. At the end of the day, it's collaborative storytelling.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Wirbelwind said:

So, my character should stop everyone she spots, slap them with jaywalking tickets, then further this by going up to improperly parked vehicles and leaving nice presents under their windshield wipers? If I stopped for every minor violation of the penal code, I'd barely get to even drive. It'd just be a monotonous process of taking pictures and writing tickets and honestly just souring everyone's roleplay. Some of the best roleplay I've had as a LEO stems from being lenient towards minor things in-character. Other characters appreciate it, and it further develops a relationship which can help my character reach her goals.

Absolutely not. It's a case-by-case basis.

I'm not here to police the server, I'm here to provide quality roleplay for people to enjoy. At the end of the day, it's collaborative storytelling.

I think that's exactly what should be done. If jaywalking is a crime, it should be treated as such. If it is not, then it should not be in the penal code. Same goes for parking violations and other minor offences. Factions should make sure that the people who roleplay within said factions abide by the standards of said factions. If a faction is about enforcing the law, then that's what it should do, unless the characters have been issued corruption permissions. I don't think it should be optional, I don't think that police officers should be able to choose to not do their job because such thing does not happen in real life. Yes, leniency exists, but there's a hueg difference between being lenient and ignoring it altogether.

"I'm not here to police the server" - I'm pretty sure that's the duty of the police on the server. To police the server? While also providing quality roleplay and taking part in the collaborative storytelling, yes. But again, I'm not targetting anyone, just raising awareness to the whole issue.

• Selena locked this topic