PD/SD ignoring uninteresting roleplay

Aellerix

I feel like this has to be brought up. My new character is a small-time repeated offender, mostly breaking the law in very light ways. What I've noticed, though, is that PD/SD ignores such RP in favor of the more action-packed scenes (pursuits, shootouts). As a concrete example, my character was role-playing a DUI a few nights ago, driving around while swerving into oncoming traffic, crashing into traffic signs and the sort. It was as obvious as possible and yes, it was on-purpose - I feel like this kind of RP is currently lacking on the server, people would much rather drink 100 shots and drive like everything is fine than role-play it.

Either way, I passed by 17 police vehicles within the one hour and a half in which I tried to get this role-play going, which were either patrolling, attending different scenarios or just parked up. NONE of them did anything about the huge truck driving recklessly, almost crashing into them on the wrong lane of travel, hitting traffic signs, also hit a Quad that was parked in the middle of the road, next to a police car, got out and literally kicked the Quad while having the drunk walk style, with the police officers turning and looking straight at me. Either way, what I'm trying to say is that it was obvious. No one did a thing. They either stopped, waited a second and left while I was still swerving into lanes or didn't even stop. All of them saw me. I wasn't trying to provoke, start a pursuit or "have fun", but rather build my character's story as an alcoholic.

After asking the staff team on what should be done about it, I was told that it was all IC. Which makes no sense - if a police car drives on a road, while patrolling, and a huge truck almost crashes into them head-on, then keeps driving past, swerving and changing speeds like crazy, I'm pretty sure they'd be at least stopped and questioned. I've also noticed them ignoring fully-tinted windows, people not stopping at intersections or speeding and much more and it's becoming annoying. That's not how it should be, they shouldn't just cancel the "boring" role-play (that they signed up for) and go for the pow-pows. It's not an IC issue anymore - if no one takes any of these light offences into considerations, what are you gonna do? Report everyone ICly? Go on reporting sprees, spend your time reporting police officers for not doing their jobs? It's an OOC bias towards the "more interesting" that's causing all of this, not IC reasoning. After all, what's the IC reasoning behind clearly seeing someone break a law and keep on going?

What is your opinion on this? What should be done about it?

• Upvote 1

Hey, I'm the staff member that answered your ticket in game. The reason I told you it was strictly IC, which I also brought up in /pm is that we can't really do anything about it. We can go to PD or SD, wiggle a finger and tell them to be as picky as possible when it comes to traffic violations, but I doubt anything will change as a lot if factors can come into consideration. Your ticket was made late at night, people could be tired, tabbed out, focused on something else, on their way to log off or simply just ignored you, thinking you were a troll. If you really want actions taken - my best advice would be for you to take it up with legal FM, but other than that we're pretty much powerless because we don't know what was happening in IRL at the time of the incidents. Hopefully you understand this.

For anyone else that will comment - please keep the discussion civil and without any bashing or insults or the thread will be locked and punishments will be handed out. Thank you ?

As somehow who used to RP a autistic homeless person I can very much tell that they seemed to enjoy RPing with such small time RP offenders as it was unique, fun and break from something monotonous. However, I doubt they are intentionally ignoring it, sadly the server is constrained by amount of police and resource management plays important role here. In case of them nothing having enough officers to cover all cases I am sure a armed suspect takes priority over a drunk being drunk on a sidewalk, so at the end it's not so much of a IC but a OOC issue that they simply lack the resources most of the times.

• Upvote 1

I do not think that it is fair to say how PD/SD "ignore" scenes for pursuits/shootouts. During my time in the LSSD since May, I've been in two (maybe three?) pursuits, and a whole zero shootouts. If I were to ignore the roleplay around me, I think I would've quit by now because it'd be so deathly boring driving around looking for a pursuit or a shooting. Those things don't happen as often as you think. I don't speak on behalf of everyone, though, but my character has higher concerns than stopping somebody for window tint. If anything, that is the least concern in the grand scheme of things.

And if someone is pulled over to the side of the road and not reacting to something extreme, there's a moderate-to-high chance they're tabbed out and not actively engaged with the game.

• Upvote 1

one IC reason for ignoring petty offences is that cops don't want to be burdened with hours of paperwork over what they perceive to be inconsequential behaviour. lots of cops like to see themselves as fierce warriors protecting the weak and vulnerable - that's why they stitch Punisher logos to their kits and beat the shit out of '''bad guys'''. going after some dullard who can't steer their truck properly isn't that. and the fact that the lspd (as far as I'm aware) don't emphasise arrest stats to the extent real life departments do or have done further removes the interest in policing petty offences. cops are people too and people don't like dealing with boring shit at work.

having said that, i still know plenty of cop characters who pull lots of people over. were you emoting any of this zany driving or were you literally just driving from sidewalk to sidewalk, knocking street lights over? the latter could've been perceived as trolling - as could you drunkenly kicking a quad. regardless, i don't even think this issue has the prevalence you think it does. 

if your character is a fucking weirdo, they can report all the cops who didn't stop them for reckless driving (why though????), or you can just accept that the OOC bias towards interesting scenarios is actually an IC bias also. 

Edited by Kipps

I find this really strange cause my main character gets pulled over everytime she hits the engine start button, give it few moments rolling from parking lot and suddenly someone flashes their siren and "Hello ma'am...". Poor Ronnie Hayden was this unfortunate to always pulling me over. Also yes, obvious "funny driving" is viewed as trolling and copbaiting most of times and given the frequency of these events occuring...who can even blame them to turn a blind eye or outright ignore such behaviour. 

Edited by Engelbert

I don't think this is the case at all, there is another person on the server who rps drunk driving, Emily Maloric or something was her name. And I'm sure most cops have roleplayed with her in some way or form. Personally I enjoy doing a good DUI investigation. But tbh if your just driving around hitting signs and stuff it can come off as cop baiting for some of us and we chose to ignore it. 

Edited by Foster
  • Thanks 1

Honestly dude it's very difficult to tell the difference between a cop baiter, someone lagging horribly, general desync on the road, and someone legitimately roleplaying a DUI unless you're hammering out the /me's about your activity.  Make sure the people you're trying to RP with know you're actually RP'ing something and you'll get a more definitive reaction, is my recommendation. 

• Upvote 1

You can't blame law enforcement officers on the tinted windows. I'd bet 90% of the people who buy a car get tinted windows. If I would stop every car that I'd see, then I wouldn't be able to attend any other situations or focus on other subjects. The citations made for it isn't going to stop people from putting it on. 

If you feel like the police is neglecting its duties, why not head over to the government and send in an complaint? If the mayor gets dozen of messages about it, he'll have to act or it will reflect bad on him. 

To break it down, I've been in the LSSD since the beginning (which started in early january), I only participate in pursuits like 2/3 times a week and I still have to get into my first shootout. Our faction compromises of people who are here for the more laid back, slow and developing roleplay, rather than shootouts or pursuits. This is advertised everywhere on our forums. If you would've done a little bit more research, then your topic and your complaint would be more reasonable. 

I invite you to sign up for our ride along here so you can take a look at what we all do on a regular day. It's very easy writing off a topic about what the police do wrong and what they should improve on when you are standing on the sideline. 

• Selena locked this topic