Limits on Extortion

TranXify

Owned 3-4 businesses (only one now - so all good + managed some of them) - no, you can not. It always ends up with the group, who holds the territory, come up to you with 10-15 people - opening hours usually, CCTV camera rolling - and demand to have a "private" talk. None of the businesses I have been affiliated with have not been touched. And I went to police in some cases, they take statement - and after that: silence. Well-- last one I reported was 3 months ago, nothing. So I stopped bothering, because PD has hands full with traffic stops. 

And - let us take Del Perro, or how is it called now, Little Albany, was it. Every single business is extorted, old and new. So this is not quality RP, it is quantity RP. And that is also like this in other areas, certain of that. Criminal factions are just waiting for new businesses to open, so more extortion can be done. I would love to know, if ya guys state here "it is not about money, but quality rp" - then why are you extorting 10 businesses, not 2-3 for the quality of RP? 

Other thing also OOC-ly - there is no damn way, that LA is operated like this nowadays. So do not come with that excuse - I have a friend, who owns a business in the wealthier parts, and I talked to him about it - He laughed his ass off: it happens, but not at a 90% ratio, like in LS. And yet, the admins always insist that we stay as near as possible to RL persons (number of jobs, cars, property, character development) - but when it comes down to illegal factions grabbing all the businesses in one area into their grasp - IC ISSUE, IC ISSUE. 

Oh-- and IRL, sorry to say, one person commented and I wholeheartedly agree on: cops have good taskforces who will fck those rackets and arrest those wannabe mobsters, but IG - we do not have it and you know why? Because we DO NOT have real life cops playing as Gta World PD characters (if there are some who actually are in law enforcement in the US, good to know, but most are just ordinary PEOPLE, who do not have a clue how to actually take down a mob). 

So - some rules should be thought about regarding this, or this leaves the lawful characters ALWAYS in the disadvantage, because I can not have 30 people in my back-pocket to call and kill all the mobsters, yet --- if I pop 2 of them, 10 will return; if I use the police and they arrest 5 of them, other 15 stay around and will CK you- quite easy.

Just now, Kuldeep said:

Yeah so you guys agree there's no proper way to avoid them right? What if someone wanna avoid them in RP? He'll end up getting a CK. 

Uh, I asked one way and you made whole paragraph saying to ask them for favors... 

there’s a shit tonne of ways to deal with it, they will mostly be situational and unique. If you want to avoid RP you’re playing the wrong game.

Just now, Tsarna said:

So I stopped bothering, because PD has hands full with traffic stops. 

?

Just now, Tsarna said:

And - let us take Del Perro, or how is it called now, Little Albany, was it. Every single business is extorted, old and new. So this is not quality RP, it is quantity RP. And that is also like this in other areas, certain of that. Criminal factions are just waiting for new businesses to open, so more extortion can be done. I would love to know, if ya guys state here "it is not about money, but quality rp" - then why are you extorting 10 businesses, not 2-3 for the quality of RP? 

Sounds like something you should report, each situation is different and involves different individuals, IFM does care about the quality of portrayal by illegal factions, if you have a concern; you should bring it up directly to them. I encourage players to avoid acting as if extortion is a blanket issue, it is an case by case issue just like any other.

1 minute ago, Tsarna said:

So - some rules should be thought about regarding this, or this leaves the lawful characters ALWAYS in the disadvantage, because I can not have 30 people in my back-pocket to call and kill all the mobsters, yet --- if I pop 2 of them, 10 will return; if I use the police and they arrest 5 of them, other 15 stay around and will CK you- quite easy.

I suppose your character could drive one of his sports cars to a different state if it came to it, right? It's great to be rich! 

Avoiding some group of people means avoiding RP? Nice understanding, you can avoid them RPly, like if someone is irritating you, you wanna avoid him, what you do? Call cops right? So ultimately he is RPing with cops..

But in extortion case, so you guys yourself are saying theres no way to win over extorts..

Yeah, someone pointed out few ways, which were..

1. Hiding?

Extort people can easily get one's information. If you are hiding, as a result you wont be able to open your business. So, business man loose here..

2. Security..

Okay, suppose some business paid to security and got them. Extorters will somehow get information about business owner and start finding him. They can easily pick him up when ever they see him outside his business and can CK him easily..

3. Cops..

Duh, I never saw any business person reporting to cops and getting a win over extorters, by doing this, he is approving his own CK. Maybe extort people can have some cops under them? Who knows?

Edited by Kuldeep
28 minutes ago, UTOPIA said:

?

Sounds like something you should report, each situation is different and involves different individuals, IFM does care about the quality of portrayal by illegal factions, if you have a concern; you should bring it up directly to them. I encourage players to avoid acting as if extortion is a blanket issue, it is an case by case issue just like any other.

I suppose your character could drive one of his sports cars to a different state if it came to it, right? It's great to be rich! 

Why does it always come to the "leave the server" argument? xD Maybe you could take your extortion business also to-- I dont know-- Chicago, back in Al Capone era? The percentage might get a bit closer to the 90% ?

Just now, Tsarna said:

Why does it always come to the "leave the server" argument? xD Maybe you could take your extortion business also to-- I dont know-- Chicago, back in Al Capone era? The percentage might get a bit closer to the 90% ?

I wasn't suggesting that you leave the server at all, but I am again deeply offended by your words and will need some time to reflect on them.

1 minute ago, Kuldeep said:

Avoiding some group of people means avoiding RP? Nice understanding, you can avoid them RPly, like if someone is irritating you, you wanna avoid him, what you do? Call cops right? So ultimately he is RPing with cops..

But in extortion case, so you guys yourself are saying theres no way to win over extorts..

Yeah, someone pointed out few ways, which were..

1. Hiding?

Extort people can easily get one's information. If you are hiding, as a result you wont be able to open your business. So, business man loose here..

2. Security..

Okay, suppose some business paid to security and got them. Extorters will somehow get information about business owner and start finding him. They can easily pick him up when ever they see him outside his business and can CK him easily..

3. Cops..

Duh, I never saw any business person reporting to cops and getting a win over extorters, by doing this, he is approving his CK. Maybe extort people can have some cops under them? Who knows?

You're suggesting all extortionists are resilient and won't give up, this can be true for some individuals, but once again... you've looked at some answers I have given you and implying that these are the ONLY viable solutions. There are no cookie-cutter solutions for you, and there never will be, as every situation is case by case and done by differing individuals. You misunderstand the message I am trying to relay to you, and I really can't sympathize with your problem past that.

@UTOPIA raises some good points and seems like he comes from a higher quality faction which approaches the topic well. Despite that, I still think some rules should be in place for this sort of RP, just like they do with robberies or scams.

First of all, there should be a hard limit on the maximum amount you can be extorted for per week. How this amount is calculated is tricky. My first thought was to suggest a percentage of the business' market price (around 5%). That lead me to thinking if businesses/services without a brick and mortar footing also get extorted, and if so how would the limit on those be calculated, perhaps a percentage of the owner's total assets? Profit and/or sales is another option, but I don't think that could be as easily enforced as the market price and/or total asset alternatives. The reason I think this is necessary is to give business owners at least some piece of mind that they cannot be completely bankruppted because 5 different factions want to extort them, especially as most share the opinion of this being an IC issue.

I also think there needs to be something in place to stop faction after faction extorting the same business, but I'm unsure of how that would be enforced. Similar to above, most rightly think this is an IC issue, and you should go to the group extorting you and ask for help. But what if they don't help? What if a number of factions are each extorting you and none of them do anything about each other? I think there needs to be a rule in place that makes factions either forfeit the business they are 'protecting' or defend it. Since the businesses they extort are essentially an extension of their terrirtory, and therefore and extension of themselves as a faction, surely it would be expected they either cut their losses and move on, or fight for it.

1 hour ago, Tsarna said:

Owned 3-4 businesses (only one now - so all good + managed some of them) - no, you can not. It always ends up with the group, who holds the territory, come up to you with 10-15 people - opening hours usually, CCTV camera rolling - and demand to have a "private" talk. None of the businesses I have been affiliated with have not been touched. And I went to police in some cases, they take statement - and after that: silence. Well-- last one I reported was 3 months ago, nothing. So I stopped bothering, because PD has hands full with traffic stops. 

Other thing also OOC-ly - there is no damn way, that LA is operated like this nowadays. So do not come with that excuse - I have a friend, who owns a business in the wealthier parts, and I talked to him about it - He laughed his ass off: it happens, but not at a 90% ratio, like in LS. And yet, the admins always insist that we stay as near as possible to RL persons (number of jobs, cars, property, character development) - but when it comes down to illegal factions grabbing all the businesses in one area into their grasp - IC ISSUE, IC ISSUE. 

Oh-- and IRL, sorry to say, one person commented and I wholeheartedly agree on: cops have good taskforces who will fck those rackets and arrest those wannabe mobsters, but IG - we do not have it and you know why? Because we DO NOT have real life cops playing as Gta World PD characters (if there are some who actually are in law enforcement in the US, good to know, but most are just ordinary PEOPLE, who do not have a clue how to actually take down a mob). 

This! +1

I will not support any of these ideas until you guys haven't tried to make a change in-character first. Your options are not limited to hiring a security firm and going to the police. Think about the situation, see where the problem coming from and organize a group to make some change. 

In reality, if a certain crime is too common in an area, people organize groups to step up against the issue. They can protect each other, they can make petitions for harsher laws, they can protest for more extreme police actions, they can protest for a dedicated task force just for this reason and a million other things.

As I see now, you guys wish to solve this issue with new rules without even trying to make in-character changes first. You can make $30,000 a day with a two-hour opening, even though you cry when someone extorts your business for $20,000 a week. This is not okay in my eyes. I agree, extortion is a problem and needs to be solved but not with new rules.

You need to step up, organize something, and handle this thing just like how you would handle in reality. Protests for police action, new laws, anything.

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic