Limits on Extortion

TranXify

Before I explain my suggestion, I know that a similar suggestion has already been posted. I am creating this suggestion because I have certain rules that I think are fair and are the ones I am suggesting.

Short description: Limit the amount that can be extorted from businesses, and how many businesses that a faction can extort.

Detailed description: 

The rules I would like to suggest are simple:

• Limit the amount of money that can be extorted from businesses. This amount can be a static amount regardless of the business, or a variable amount based on the business type. If it is variable based on business type, the amount of money that the business makes scriptwise as well as how much it would realistically make should both be considered. I would like to suggest 5k/week as a maximum or lower. Extortion should not be used as a money making machine, and we should encourage the illegal factions to focus on roleplay rather than gaining more money.
  • Limit the number of businesses that an illegal faction can extort. I am not sure what would be a good number as I do not know how many illegal factions there are etc. The number decided upon should be low enough that the illegal factions can actually focus on the few businesses they decide to extort. Quality over quantity.
  • Limit the control of illegal factions over businesses. I do not think it is fair for illegal factions to have any say in a business's set of policies or opening times. Business owners put a lot of time, effort and even IRL money into their businesses. It is not fair to then not even have control over your own business because a mob or gang wants to control it.

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? 

Currently, there are no rules regarding extortion whatsoever. Illegal factions are given the freedom to judge what is a fair price and rule set for their extortion. I believe a set of rules will be beneficial to let both sides (illegal factions and business owners) to better understand what is realistic and fair, and what is not. That will encourage business owners to report unrealistic or unfair extortion as the rules are better defined. Moreover, there will be a lower chance of unrealistic or unfair extortion to start with as we'd be taking a proactive approach, rather than just reporting every bad encounter.

I also believe that it will allow the illegal factions to focus more on the roleplay than making money. It will allow the illegal factions to actually provide some sort of service to the owner (as they will have only a few businesses to extort and focus on) rather than just getting paid at the end of the week. It will naturally make illegal factions think twice before committing to extort a business, which will reduce the likelihood of the less profitable businesses (such as 24/7's) of being extorted. It will also reduce the likelihood of multiple gangs/mobs extorting the same place, and gangs/mobs will be more encouraged to actually fight for territory rather than letting go.

Additional information: I worry that with this suggestion, illegal factions will just always go for the maximum amounts provided because... why not? Hence, I believe that the amounts (especially money that can be extorted) should be lowballed.

• Upvote 4
Just now, TranXify said:
  • Limit the number of businesses that an illegal faction can extort. I am not sure what would be a good number as I do not know how many illegal factions there are etc. The number decided upon should be low enough that the illegal factions can actually focus on the few businesses they decide to extort. Quality over quantity.

By putting hard caps on this, you are limiting people's role-play. There are factions that are much larger than ten, twenty, even thirty people, individual players should be able to role-play as they see their character fit to do so.

Just now, TranXify said:
  • Limit the amount of money that can be extorted from businesses. This amount can be a static amount regardless of the business, or a variable amount based on the business type. If it is variable based on business type, the amount of money that the business makes scriptwise as well as how much it would realistically make should both be considered. I would like to suggest 5k/week as a maximum or lower. Extortion should not be used as a money making machine, and we should encourage the illegal factions to focus on roleplay rather than gaining more money.

Extortion is not a money making machine, and it is done with focus on role-play more than anything, our faction for instance, would make far more money opening a bar or club than extorting people. To us, it isn't just about money, it's about our characters progressing and following orders. Businesses in Vinewood were being extorted by our faction, until one of the people we were extorting leaked that the police were starting to pick up on us. We rewarded that person with $30,000 dollars, this character also gained favor with one of our members, and did not have to pay any further. Extortion not only allows for business owners to get involved in the faction's role-play, but also gives their characters a challenge.

8 minutes ago, TranXify said:

I also believe that it will allow the illegal factions to focus more on the roleplay than making money.

That's very insulting! A vast majority of illegal factions DO dedicate themselves to role-playing over making money, most faction members offer up a percentage of their weekly income to their faction leaders.

10 minutes ago, TranXify said:

It will also reduce the likelihood of multiple gangs/mobs extorting the same place, and gangs/mobs will be more encouraged to actually fight for territory rather than letting go.

Typically there are borders drawn for factions IC, there really is no need for your suggestion whatsoever, it puts a limit on role-play and hurts "illegal" role-play. I think you need to broaden your horizons, and explore more IC possibilities before you jump onto the forums.

• Upvote 4
4 minutes ago, UTOPIA said:

As an addition to my previous post; can any of you who have been so strenuously extorted explain your situations, and how you have tried to work your way out of your situation?

Nothing aggressive! Just asking, please give me any one way that business owners can pass this extortion thing. That's it.

Just now, Kuldeep said:

Nothing aggressive! Just asking, please give me any one way that business owners can pass this extortion thing. That's it.

It's always situational, right? It depends on the character you play, who you are being extorted by, what they want from you, etc. You can gain favor with the person extorting you, and since there is no cookie cutter solution to this, you'll need to figure that out on your own. An instance that I mentioned in my prior post is a fine example; A store owner who had paid our faction a total of $75,000 dollars in extortion was recently admonished of his agreement with us, but was allowed to come to us for favors since he did us a favor, he role-played his character well, came to our faction when he had problems, and we would take care of them for him. He wouldn't have to call the police, he would come to us with his problems instead; which is what 'protection' is, right? But again, that's this particular person, there are plenty of ways to duck out on extortion, go into hiding, hire security guards, or co-operate with police, the opportunities are really endless, as that is what role-play is, limitless experiences that you can shape through your contribution.

Just now, Kuldeep said:

Yeah so you guys agree there's no proper way to avoid them right? What if someone wanna avoid them in RP? He'll end up getting a CK. 

Uh, I asked one way and you made whole paragraph saying to ask them for favors... 

You misunderstood my answer, I'm telling you that there is no single answer to your problem, and I provided you with a situation in which a player who was being extorted by us got out of said situation. I just gave you a slew of answers right at the end of my paragraph, please read the following:

2 minutes ago, UTOPIA said:

there are plenty of ways to duck out on extortion, go into hiding, hire security guards, or co-operate with police, the opportunities are really endless, as that is what role-play is, limitless experiences that you can shape through your contribution.

• mj2002 locked this topic