The speed of PD/SD/FD RP

RoryR

I would rather a long traffic stop IF there is constant RP rather than 

/ME GRABS THE TINT-O-METER

"Sir window half up, HALF UP!!!!!"

/TINT

"wow level one, you're getting citationn ACCEPT TICKET NOW"

"72 HOURS CITY HALL BYE"

That gets repetitive and when you try to add any other dept of RP you're suddenly obstructing a peace officer... b

But I agree sometimes those long silcenses go on for ever. I guess PD can be spammed though with all the radio chat and /f I could imagine it could be easy to loose train of thought when we're on the other end just seeing nothing. 

On 7/3/2020 at 1:03 AM, RoryR said:

In my experience I haven't had a single traffic stop which took less than 20 minutes, granted I've only had about 3 or 4 personally, and a handful while friends were driving. Also, I can't see how you could say your average stop last 10 minutes or less, when mine took almost half an hour (granted there was an ALPR glitch or whatever you said) but still, where is all that extra time going?

That is just the luck of the draw, we have a lot of Police Officer I's right now who are still learning everything there is to do with the faction, so most of the time, you'll be pulled over by them statistically speaking. They're in the process of improving, they require time, that is just something you have to accept as they can't just magically speed up.

I won't explain why it took so long all over again, no point repeating, if you didn't read it entirely, you didn't read it entirely, that's just the reality of it. And if you did in fact read it all the way through and didn't understand why it took so long, that is beyond my ability to help you any further to understand the events.

@owen is spot on too. Annoying, pedantic interactions with the PD repeatedly could easily turn someone away from the server. Unnecessarily keeping people in an RP or dragging it out as long as possible is just selfish. Circles back to the "if I have to be here, you have to as well" point I made, which according to you, is essential. But is it really?

If someone turns away from these sorts of interactions, clearly this sort of text-based roleplay server is not for them if they can't spare the time to roleplay scenarios which come their way, either good or bad. You can't always just be on a high and roleplay only the things that you absolutely love doing, that make you happy, that is just not realistic roleplay at that point, that's roleplaying a fantasy. Sure, you can do that to a certain degree, but if an interaction comes your way and it is a negative outcome for you, you're expected to go with it all the way through and put in just as much effort for something you may not enjoy just because it is an inconvenience. Otherwise, that's just a win:win mentality and there are no drawbacks, faults, or anything of the sort to the character you're roleplaying, which is once again, a false fantasy and failure to roleplay someone realistic.

Once again, you're making points that are completely out of the question, no one is dragging it out on purpose. No one is saying it's essential, that is simply my character's decision when they make that report, they're in no rush whatsoever, it's also none of their concern if you have somewhere to be, shouldn't have been doing what you were doing to get pulled over in the first place. I'd understand your argument, only if the pullover reason was complete bullshit, which most of the time, it isn't the case.

I think people need to respect other people's time (which many in this thread say they do) and understand holding someone for almost 30 minutes for what should be a 10 minute interaction is just rude. And for those slower players who can't do things at an appropriate speed, let them continue on with their day and do the reports/whatever else needs to be done after they leave.

It's a two way street, don't want to waste your own time? Don't waste mine by having to attend to your character's mistakes to try and attempt to educate them about the road laws and how they should be conducting themselves on the street, which lets be real, probably won't lead to anything unless you're roleplaying a realistic character. You're extremely bias that your time is the most important time and that is the end of it, that is what is selfish and not the fact that I'm keeping you at a stop to write up my report.

Just to add a little more for your prior discussion:

What constantly bugs me is the fact you also compare real life stops to in-game stops. Don't forget, in real life, you don't drive like a maniac and get air 2 seconds air time in your $200,000 sports vehicle whilst you blow an intersection showing red right next to a police station. Your 5 MPH over the speed limit ticket in real life doesn't compare to the situation that happens in-game, no matter if it is a game at the end of the day, it's meant to be realistic as much as possible and if you were to do something comparable in real life, it'd be much, much, longer I can guarantee.

I'd like to also highlight the fact that just because your crime doesn't send you to jail, doesn't mean it's not as any little bit less serious, what you are in-game is an endangerment to public road users. Actually consider what would have happened if you collided with someone over that blind hill whilst mid-air, that's another whole scene you probably wouldn't want to deal with, just because it was an inconvenience.

Edited by xanx
39 minutes ago, xanx said:

I won't explain why it took so long all over again, no point repeating, if you didn't read it entirely, you didn't read it entirely, that's just the reality of it. And if you did in fact read it all the way through and didn't understand why it took so long, that is beyond my ability to help you any further to understand the events.

I guess it can be hard to pick up subtleties sometimes but I'm very aware of your so called reasons for the length of the stop, I just don't buy them. As many others have said, if a traffic stop is taking longer than 10 minutes, something is wrong. For the sake of the thread, lets no longer talk about this specific incident.

41 minutes ago, xanx said:

If someone turns away from these sorts of interactions, clearly this sort of text-based roleplay server is not for them if they can't spare the time to roleplay scenarios which come their way, either good or bad. You can't always just be on a high and roleplay only the things that you absolutely love doing, that make you happy, that is just not realistic roleplay at that point, that's roleplaying a fantasy. Sure, you can do that to a certain degree, but if an interaction comes your way and it is a negative outcome for you, you're expected to go with it all the way through and put in just as much effort for something you may not enjoy just because it is an inconvenience. Otherwise, that's just a win:win mentality and there are no drawbacks, faults, or anything of the sort to the character you're roleplaying, which is once again, a false fantasy and failure to roleplay someone realistic.

Your completely missing the point. Absolutely no one is asking to skip RP or avoid the consequences that are coming their way. People are simply asking if the RP they are about to endure can be sped up, as no one likes sitting in a car doing absolutely nothing for close to half an hour. Some have said create your own RP in that time? Like what? There isn't a great deal of RP to be done while waiting for the officers, and certainly nothing that fills the void a traffic stop currently takes.

46 minutes ago, xanx said:

Once again, you're making points that are completely out of the question, no one is dragging it out on purpose.

From the time traffic stops take, it can seem like this has to be the reason, as it's very hard to fathom how they can take so long. This was the reason the thread was created, to have a better understanding of why these interactions take so long. From what people have said, it just seems like people either aren't familiarizing themselves enough with the processes/RP their faction requires of them, or that discussed attitude is real. 

55 minutes ago, xanx said:

Don't waste mine by having to attend to your character's mistakes to try and attempt to educate them about the road laws

That's literally part of the job you applied for. Don't like it? Don't do it. Surely you of all people know traffic stops are the bread and butter of the PD.

1 hour ago, xanx said:

What constantly bugs me is the fact you also compare real life stops to in-game stops. Don't forget, in real life, you don't drive like a maniac and get air 2 seconds air time in your $200,000 sports vehicle whilst you blow an intersection showing red right next to a police station. Your 5 MPH over the speed limit ticket in real life doesn't compare to the situation that happens in-game, no matter if it is a game at the end of the day, it's meant to be realistic as much as possible and if you were to do something comparable in real life, it'd be much, much, longer I can guarantee.

I'd like to also highlight the fact that just because your crime doesn't send you to jail, doesn't mean it's not as any little bit less serious, what you are in-game is an endangerment to public road users. Actually consider what would have happened if you collided with someone over that blind hill whilst mid-air, that's another whole scene you probably wouldn't want to deal with, just because it was an inconvenience.

IC issue. If this were to happen IRL I'd be banned from driving. If you don't think the punishment fits the crime, push for reform.

4 minutes ago, RoryR said:

I guess it can be hard to pick up subtleties sometimes but I'm very aware of your so called reasons for the length of the stop, I just don't buy them. As many others have said, if a traffic stop is taking longer than 10 minutes, something is wrong.

I explained it specifically to you as it happened so that you are aware of why that stop took the time it did, you're rejecting actual events which actually happened because you're attempting to push your narrative that "something is wrong", as if I'm hiding something? This is not a sales pitch, it's facts, you're not here to buy anything.

I specifically spoke in normal text in-game, so that you saw every bit of the roleplay/banter/interaction I had in the unit, you were literally there witnessing it, so why are you struggling to grasp this simple concept that this is what happened when you saw everything yourself? lol

10 minutes ago, RoryR said:

Your completely missing the point. Absolutely no one is asking to skip RP or avoid the consequences that are coming their way. People are simply asking if the RP they are about to endure can be sped up, as no one likes sitting in a car doing absolutely nothing for close to half an hour. Some have said create your own RP in that time? Like what? There isn't a great deal of RP to be done while waiting for the officers, and certainly nothing that fills the void a traffic stop currently takes.

So what is it that you do when you go to jail? What do you roleplay? Should jail not be a real thing because you can't do the time or for example roleplay something because you're not doing the thing you wanted to be doing?

You're going to have situations in your life where you are just waiting. A queue at the bank, a job meeting, in a traffic jam when driving. This is part of roleplay just as much it is in real life. Sure, it's mundane, of course situations like this are going to be, but it just shows your impatience with how much of a problem you've got with waiting. As I said previously, whilst not actively roleplaying typing, you're actively writing up a report on a second screen for example, just because it's silent in the game chat, doesn't mean nothing is happening, it's justified with a single /me that this is what is occurring right now. If you're not asking for skipping roleplay, what is the issue with me roleplaying typing? Do something about it IC.

28 minutes ago, RoryR said:

From the time traffic stops take, it can seem like this has to be the reason, as it's very hard to fathom how they can take so long. This was the reason the thread was created, to have a better understanding of why these interactions take so long. From what people have said, it just seems like people either aren't familiarizing themselves enough with the processes/RP their faction requires of them, or that discussed attitude is real.

If it's so hard for you to fathom how they take so long, then it's once again out of my scope to be able to explain a very simple concept to you without having to repeat what was already said previously in my replies.

31 minutes ago, RoryR said:

That's literally part of the job you applied for. Don't like it? Don't do it. Surely you of all people know traffic stops are the bread and butter of the PD.

That's literally part of the actions you committed. Don't like it? Don't do it. Surely after you've had so many traffic stops the laws are the bread and butter of a responsible citizen.

32 minutes ago, RoryR said:

IC issue. If this were to happen IRL I'd be banned from driving. If you don't think the punishment fits the crime, push for reform.

Don't need to push for reform, I already dropped your charges from reckless driving to two citations of $250 each.

@RoryR you stated it to be a genuine interest in getting to learn why a traffic stop could take that long. Whether you buy it or not should not matter. It's clear this is not the case but more a shaming on the so called officers from the pd who conducted the stop on you and are looking for sympathizers. Nothing more nothing less, otherwise the so called "learning" would have stopped from the moment @xanx told you the reason. This isn't a friendly topic nor has it ever been.

Having that said, you having learned the reason behind the 26m stop, what are you trying to gain now at this point? 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, goddessoflife said:

@RoryR you stated it to be a genuine interest in getting to learn why a traffic stop could take that long. Whether you buy it or not should not matter. It's clear this is not the case but more a shaming on the so called officers from the pd who conducted the stop on you and are looking for sympathizers. Nothing more nothing less, otherwise the so called "learning" would have stopped from the moment @xanx told you the reason. This isn't a friendly topic nor has it ever been.

Having that said, you having learned the reason behind the 26m stop, what are you trying to gain now at this point? 

@goddessoflife as I've said multiple times, the scope of this thread is outside the single instance we had, and that is clear in the first post. Also just because you or @xanx have gave your input, does not mean the thread is over, quite narrow minded to think that. The thread is for all PD/SD/FD and people who have interacted with them.

For example, when speaking to someone from the SD on Discord, they were surprised to find out the PD have to do an entire report for every traffic stop. Sure, that discussion didn't take place in this thread, but that was the exact sort of thing I was looking to learn from this thread.

Edited by RoryR

Infact officers doing the traffic stop routine have to fill out a report about the traffic stop, it's called ticketing. It contains basic informations about the car, driver, passengers etc etc. They even have authority to order you out of the vehicle. Which is also why cops should ride in two, one does the routine check, the other the paperwork or keeps watch. They also usually call a backup unit before addressing the driver.

Edited by Engelbert
59 minutes ago, RoryR said:

@goddessoflife as I've said multiple times, the scope of this thread is outside the single instance we had, and that is clear in the first post. Also just because you or @xanx have gave your input, does not mean the thread is over, quite narrow minded to think that. The thread is for all PD/SD/FD and people who have interacted with them.

For example, when speaking to someone from the SD on Discord, they were surprised to find out the PD have to do an entire report for every traffic stop. Sure, that discussion didn't take place in this thread, but that was the exact sort of thing I was looking to learn from this thread.

To say that it's not about that one instance is a pure lie. It definitely is about that one instance. Specially since you keep discussing the details and combat the reasoning @xanx has given you.

What you forget is that NO officer is the same, No officer handles a scene the exact same way as others do. No officer handles a traffic the same as the previous traffic stop as everyone stop has different details, different reasoning and a different history. No traffic stop takes exactly 10 minutes, or 20 minutes or 30 minutes nor does any other situation. Some officer does their reports during the stop, some do it after, some do it at the end of the shift and some do it at after a few days and some don't do it at all. There is a guideline IC. But everyone swerves around it. It's an IC action, it's an IC matter.

19 minutes ago, goddessoflife said:

To say that it's not about that one instance is a pure lie. It definitely is about that one instance. Specially since you keep discussing the details and combat the reasoning @xanx has given you.

You two were the ones that decided to dive into specifics, and some of those details are relevant in a broader sense.

4 minutes ago, goddessoflife said:

I suggest if you want the answer of the top boss, ask here 

This is the place these  "questions" should be placed. 

Also, it isn't just the PD I'm interested in.