The speed of PD/SD/FD RP

RoryR

7 hours ago, arrdef said:

You should consider someone's wishes when they say very clearly that they don't want to roleplay a particular scenario for an extended period of time. Many people only log on a couple times a week and play for maybe 2 hours. It's not up to you to decide that 30 minutes of those 2 hours should be dedicated to the portrayal of all the subtlelties involved in a traffic stop. Especially when that minutia only scarcely involves the detained character.

In my opinion, a 15 mins timeframe wouldn't have robbed you of much depth at all, and would have been more accepted by the member you played with.

I do not agree with this at all, this is a roleplay server, everything that happens is due to RP and everything that happens is RP. If you get pulled over why should PD or SD be expected to put an OOC limit on their RP when no one else does? Should we also put a 5 minute timer on robberies? The thief has to leave after five minutes. Legal factions are just like everyone else, if the RP takes a while, the RP takes a while.

5 minutes ago, Syrike said:

I do not agree with this at all, this is a roleplay server, everything that happens is due to RP and everything that happens is RP. If you get pulled over why should PD or SD be expected to put an OOC limit on their RP when no one else does? Should we also put a 5 minute timer on robberies? The thief has to leave after five minutes. Legal factions are just like everyone else, if the RP takes a while, the RP takes a while.

The guy's simply stating would there be much loss of RP/quality of RP by fitting what happened into 15 minutes rather than 30 minutes, especially when someone's made it clear they need to get going or whatever. And no, it is not unique to PD or SD. ICly I run an interior design business and RP contracts and so on, but if someone makes it clear they're just about to get off and would like to /setrent and speed up the RP as much as possible, of course I'm going to accomodate that. I don't see why people are so reluctant to make people's lives easier in the game. No one's asking to skip RP or skip any repurcussions, they're just asking to speed up things so people can move on and go about their day.

22 minutes ago, Syrike said:

the point is it takes a while due to very preventable stuff. 

And the difference is street robberies are actually interesting. I'd rather be robbed and lose assets than sit in a car for 30 minutes doing literally nothing because some dude is typing and talking to his friends on teamspeak, and the only rp I get during that 30 minutes is having my license taken, then given back and told I can leave several minutes later, with literally nothing inbetween.

To keep people in place because you're writing an IC report makes no sense whatsoever from both an IC and an OOC standpoint. You're wasting people's time on both ends. To tell someone they better get off the game if they don't have an hour to waste with you at a traffic stop because you felt you should sustain your GCSE under a traffic report on mdc.gta.world is ridiculous — there's nothing wrong with detail but don't force it on people for zero benefit.

Every cop role-player's ideal should be to provide quality police role-play, not to police the server. I know it might sound like a regurgitated mantra but it's accurate here, right now. To tell people to get off the game if they won't stick around to role-play if you're slow or deliberately distracted, or otherwise keeping them in place when you shouldn't, is the equivalent of telling players to "take it IC." when you use all tools at your disposal to win and even start winning in an unrealistic fashion.

Arrdef might not be the best at conveying his response properly to get the point across and comes off as confrontational but I believe I understand. If you're refusing to admit you might be distracted by TeamSpeak or anything that might happen in your personal background while role-playing and you don't backspace once or twice during emotes then you're just hypocritical. It's why I don't recommend hanging out in crowded TeamSpeak channels if your attention's span is of .2 seconds.

All in all, there's nothing wrong with particular interactions taking a lot of time. I think it's commendable that cop role-players take their time to role-play with you and lo and behold, they actually role-play characters, not the substitute to NPCs who answer to the 9-1-1s and perform the tasks so your environment as a role-player of anything else other than a cop has cops showing up. I think it's wrong when they purposely take too long for no reason and they start doing so in a manner that shows no self-restraint or common sense.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 2
On 7/3/2020 at 12:18 AM, owen said:

Reports should be written post-stop, not during. Writing a report during a traffic stop makes the stop itself become cumbersome and boring, leaving a bad taste in the person(s) mouth. A traffic stop does not need to take more than ten minutes at max (unless they're being arrested, being pulled out and so forth) and that's just non-negotiable. 

It takes five minutes to look a person up, their vehicle and their past/current warrants — any more than that and you need to improve and you're the problem. There's more at stake than just the traffic stop, if you stop someone and then proceed to take fifteen minutes by yourself writing boring /mes about looking up someone and checking your computer, you're the problem. 

Going back to my previous point, you should NOT be writing your traffic report on the traffic stop — that's absurd. You should NOT keep people on the stop once everything has been concluded, that is also absurd. It's not just about the traffic stop anymore though, you're keeping other people occupied for no reason, you're wasting their time and your own. No one enjoys role play where they're just doing nothing and waiting, that isn't fun, that isn't engaging and it is certainly not something that a cop should allow, in-character or out of character.  

A civilian role playing with a cop, and them having bad/boring experience will last a lifetime and set a trend, this is one of them. Bottom line is, it shouldn't have taken that long. People can do better.

P R E A C H

Honestly just make it compulsory to not write the report during, it's not fair to engage in roleplay where all you do is wait.

Literally everytime I've been pulled over I just do a /me to indicate my hands or on the steering wheel and I'm not doing anything sus and then wait because I have nothing else to do while they go back to their unit vehicle

SD/PD/FD, as soon as they are tasked with a scene creation, it is mostly under THEIR supervision, if it isn't standard arresting process, where even the victims or victims and perpetrators are required to roleplay it, it is ONLY them who does the majority of roleplay. You are wounded on the ground, yes you can roleplay, but it is them who does the most of it, given realistically you cannot do much. So yeah they need to create the scene and yeah it takes time. It is also why you are not allowed to log out immediately after you manage to lose the cops in a chase. Infact you are not allowed to log out within (10-30? Idk) minutes after commiting any crime, simply because there might be ongoing rp as a follow up to your actions. And then, if you think you just wait brb or afk while others roleplay? You know you will be kicked for that. I personally hate this when I tattoo someone in the studio. Some people are just okay I go afk, while you roleplay. Hell no! You are here too you roleplay as well. While you wait, you should roleplay. If you don't, you are not roleplaying at all. There are plenty of things you can do at traffic stop. You can look around and be curious about what is happening. Be creative. It will also help them to roleplay their part. You know why tattooing process takes so long? Cause I normally wait for reactions from clients, if there are none, I will simply cut the roleplay to half, cause I am not tattooing an unresponsive corpse. Besides if you need to go offline, simply vpark your car and logout where you are, it is not an excuse when you are pulled over to be in a hurry, that you gotta go. I do just that. Also 30 mins? I never seen that.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Applaud 1
3 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Besides if you need to go offline, simply vpark your car and logout where you are, it is not an excuse when you are pulled over to be in a hurry, that you gotta go. I do just that.

It’s what I did with someone yesterday. He blasted through an intersection like a rally car and I pulled him over, instantly in /b he has to go. I’ve heard this excuse so many times by now it’s silly. 

I told him RP it, but then I said fuck it if he has to go he has to go. 

so I told him, /vp and log off right here. He did. 

simple solution to avoid problems. 

gotta go? /vp -> f1 -> quit. 

Just now, Renegade said:

It’s what I did with someone yesterday. He blasted through an intersection like a rally car and I pulled him over, instantly in /b he has to go. I’ve heard this excuse so many times by now it’s silly. 

I told him RP it, but then I said fuck it if he has to go he has to go. 

so I told him, /vp and log off right here. He did. 

simple solution to avoid problems. 

gotta go? /vp -> f1 -> quit. 

Yeah I mean, even if it gets a report, you can always agree to rp it later on.