The speed of PD/SD/FD RP

RoryR

still it's dumb to say traffic stops irl take less than half a hour. i've gotten pulled over multiple times with friends and it took ~20 minutes per stop, even with a warning. just depends on each department and their procedures on traffic stops though i guess :P.

anyway i prefer my roleplays to take longer since it does show quality and details you dont get in most other servers. like if you know you don't have a time for a roleplay, just dont put yourself in situations that will result in you getting in that sort of situation.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, owen said:

Reports should be written post-stop, not during. Writing a report during a traffic stop makes the stop itself become cumbersome and boring, leaving a bad taste in the person(s) mouth.

Going back to my previous point, you should NOT be writing your traffic report on the traffic stop — that's absurd. You should NOT keep people on the stop once everything has been concluded, that is also absurd. It's not just about the traffic stop anymore though, you're keeping other people occupied for no reason, you're wasting their time and your own. No one enjoys role play where they're just doing nothing and waiting, that isn't fun, that isn't engaging and it is certainly not something that a cop should allow, in-character or out of character. 

If your character decides to break the law to the degree where it requires for it to be noted on your file in the form of a citation along a traffic report then it is up to the officer whether or not they write up a traffic report during the stop itself, at that point it is an IC decision. If someone has an issue with this on an OOC standpoint, perhaps someone is not here to roleplay. Whilst the continuous act of roleplay is not there when such a report is being written, there is no need to justify it any further than a simple /me saying that the officer is typing on the laptop.

A traffic stop is a form of detainment, meaning the officer is allowed to keep the driver at the stop for a period of time so long as it is reasonable to perform their duties accordingly. There is no stated time limit for which I can keep you at the stop, however, it is more than reasonable to write up a traffic report during the traffic stop itself. If you want to avoid 20 minutes or so of roleplay at a traffic stop, don't get pulled over. Don't perform actions which lead up to such a stop in the first place, don't engage in any sort of activities related to vehicles if you truly believe this is an unreasonable time to write up a report and if you believe this is a waste of time. That is a risk you should expect no matter what and to be prepared for it when your character does stupid shit on the streets.

What is a waste of time, is if I have to do it -after- the traffic stop, as there are other situations going on which I now cannot respond to or will be back-logged with multiple reports I have to write up at a later time because I decided not to do it there and then. Consider the amount of time that police officers put into these reports and you'll start to notice that your "20 minutes of boredom" simply doesn't compare to the amount of extra effort we are obligated to put in beyond -any- roleplay scene that ends. This is the part you do not ever see but it is certainly there, paperwork, investigations, compiling footage, et cetera.

To be quite frank with you, Officers also want to have fun and play the game, since it is a game at the end of the day, however paperwork is paperwork and there is no denying that it is not fun for anyone once you do it a couple hundred of times over the course of your career with this sort of roleplay. Don't blame the officer for doing their work if you're the one who caused them to do the work in the first place. At the end of the day, whilst you're sitting in your car, being "bored", I'm typing up an essay on the situation, something which I'd have to be doing whether or not I do let you go before or after.

Edited by xanx
11 minutes ago, xanx said:

If your character decides to break the law to the degree where it requires for it to be noted on your file in the form of a citation along a traffic report then it is up to the officer whether or not they write up a traffic report during the stop itself, at that point it is an IC decision. If someone has an issue with this on an OOC standpoint, perhaps someone is not here to roleplay. Whilst the continuous act of roleplay is not there when such a report is being written, there is no need to justify it any further than a simple /me saying that the officer is typing on the laptop.

A traffic stop if a form of detainment, meaning the officer is allowed to keep the driver at the stop for a period of time so long as it is reasonable to perform their duties accordingly. There is no stated time limit for which I can keep you at the stop, however, it is more than reasonable to write up a traffic report during the traffic stop itself. If you want to avoid 20 minutes or so of roleplay at a traffic stop, don't get pulled over. Don't perform actions which lead up to such a stop in the first place, don't engage in any sort of activities related to vehicles if you truly believe this is an unreasonable time to write up a report and if you believe this is a waste of time. That is a risk you should expect no matter what.

What is a waste of time, is if I have to do it -after- the traffic stop, as there are other situations going on which I now cannot respond to or will be back-logged with multiple reports I have to write up at a later time because I decided not to do it there and then. Consider the amount of time that police officers put into these reports and you'll start to notice that your "20 minutes of boredom" simply doesn't compare to the amount of extra effort we are obligated to put in beyond -any- roleplay involving the public that involves paperwork, investigations, et cetera.

To be quite frank with you, Officers also want to have fun and play the game, since it is a game at the end of the day, however paperwork is paperwork and there is no denying that it is not fun for anyone once you do it a couple hundred of times over the course of your career with this sort of roleplay. Don't blame the officer for doing their work if you're the one who caused them to do the work in the first place. At the end of the day, whilst you're sitting in your car, being "bored", I'm typing up an essay on the situation, something which I'd have to be doing whether or not I do let you go before or after.

So I get that there seems to be a lot of extra work involved in being a police officer, but isn't that what you signed up for? I also don't understand your point of doing reports after you let the suspect go, surely it takes the same amount of time whether they are in front of you in their car or not? You're still unable to respond to new situations for the exact same amount of time. If anything I would say it seems more appropriate to do that, since if there is a very pressing situation going on, you then have the opportunity to respond and do the work later, something which makes sense to do ICly.

It still feels like people are being held in situations longer than they need to be, whether that's an IC issue or not. It's as if the attitude is "if I need to be here, so do you" which like I said previously, if that's how you get enjoyment from the game, go ahead. But when people are openly expressing that they are short on time or need to leave, it's inconsiderate to have that attitude and act on it.

33 minutes ago, RoryR said:

So I get that there seems to be a lot of extra work involved in being a police officer, but isn't that what you signed up for?

Personally, I signed up for the roleplay from this side of the law, no one signs up to do be doing paperwork lets be real here right, that is just the trade-off you have to make and accept to engage yourself in order to keep your place, following the regulations. I don't mind the paperwork, if I did I wouldn't be in the faction, but it is not the reason for me roleplaying an officer.

I also don't understand your point of doing reports after you let the suspect go, surely it takes the same amount of time whether they are in front of you in their car or not? You're still unable to respond to new situations for the exact same amount of time. If anything I would say it seems more appropriate to do that, since if there is a very pressing situation going on, you then have the opportunity to respond and do the work later, something which makes sense to do ICly.

I didn't explain it clearly in the previous post. The reason why it can take longer if you were to do traffic reports after letting someone go can be any of the multitude listed here and more which I didn't think of at the time of writing this:

• The person's file is already open with the knowledge of their actions still fresh in your head. (If you don't involve yourself in new situations, you don't have someone else's file open among the other 20 tabs you may have for other situations you're dealing with on your patrol, etc.)
  • There is no need to go back on Shadowplay footage if you captured it, incase you forgot any of the key details: (Person's name, vehicle, vehicle plates, road names/district names, offences, ability to recall what they did specifically to get such a citation in the first place etc.)
  • Considering you're still in a traffic stop and are busy, you won't be called in to new situations which pull you away from that paperwork which is what causes the back-log and having to go back through multiple traffic stops you did earlier in the day.
  • It spreads the workload so that there is a balance between fun and work. What I mean by this is it goes like this:
    • Roleplay->Report->Roleplay->Report->Roleplay->Report instead of Roleplay->Roleplay->Roleplay->Report->Report->Report
    • Just bare in mind that doing reports at the end of the shift or anything that follows the latter workload flow, is a real burner for your head, especially when it's later at night.
  • Since you're doing the report there and then, it can be pumped out faster and therefore make you available sooner for any situations which may occurr. Everyone wants to engage in fun situations sooner, just as much as you're in the car waiting to roleplay something else, we also wanted to get our paperwork done so we can move onto something else.

It still feels like people are being held in situations longer than they need to be, whether that's an IC issue or not. It's as if the attitude is "if I need to be here, so do you" which like I said previously, if that's how you get enjoyment from the game, go ahead. But when people are openly expressing that they are short on time or need to leave, it's inconsiderate to have that attitude and act on it.

I completely get what you're saying, but that is just the cold hard truth. If I have to be there, so do you, this isn't fun for either of the parties at times, but those are just the consequences that come whenever you engage yourself in activities which may lead to any sort of more in-depth roleplay that involves the PD, SD, FD, here's a couple of examples:

Driving Recklessly? Traffic stop, answering any queries, getting educated regarding the laws to prevent these from happening again, waiting for the procedure to finish.

Shooting and injuries? Suspect apprehensions, medical roleplay, investigation, arrests.

Kidnapping? Roleplaying fear, taken against your will, going through literal torture, reporting such an occurrence when let go, going through mental/physical scaring - potentially long-term.

Traffic Collisions? Securing the scene, medical roleplay, traffic collision investigations, contacting involved parties, conclusion of investigation, conducting arrests/citations.

@RoryR

Edited by xanx
2 hours ago, LordJoji said:

still it's dumb to say traffic stops irl take less than half a hour. i've gotten pulled over multiple times with friends and it took ~20 minutes per stop, even with a warning. just depends on each department and their procedures on traffic stops though i guess :P.

anyway i prefer my roleplays to take longer since it does show quality and details you dont get in most other servers. like if you know you don't have a time for a roleplay, just dont put yourself in situations that will result in you getting in that sort of situation.

Where are you from? In the US, the first time I pulled over was probably 5 minutes, the next was 10. Both times I was not alone. When I crashed, the police handling of the situation was probably around 30-35 minutes. 

22 minutes ago, shareef2 said:

Where are you from? In the US, the first time I pulled over was probably 5 minutes, the next was 10. Both times I was not alone. When I crashed, the police handling of the situation was probably around 30-35 minutes. 

IRL talking and documentation is faster and easier. If there are any cops that type fast, you'll see your traffic stop be an actual breeze, obviously with proper roleplay.

The least amount of time taken by a traffic stop for me has been 25 minutes. Some take 30, some take even more.

I see some cops try to skip RP too, it looks like they're not interested either lol.

3 hours ago, xanx said:

Terrible justification for bad time management and common courtesy. People are here to role play, people aren't here to sit there and do nothing. You cannot justify to me, that a cop should keep someone post-stop for ten to twenty minutes until they finish their report, that is absurd. Just because they don't want to sit there for an extra fifteen minutes whilst you idly write your report doesn't mean they're not here to role play, it means they're bored and they want to go and role play. Remember how influential and important your position in a legal faction is, and how you, as a police officer, can alter someone's perspective and opinion on a faction or the server.

You've given me a long, cumbersome, four paragraph defensive explanation on why it's okay to keep people there, and how cops have to do paperwork. This proves my issue. We'll agree to disagree. Just because you get bored writing constant paperwork doesn't mean you should make the other people feel bored because ''I'm suffering.'' and that's just it. 

From nine months on this community, and five years on another community as a cop, I'm telling you all — it takes less than ten minutes to merely issue a ticket, give the individual some interesting dialogue, provide some cool role play and leave. Obviously this differs like I said in my above post. Some people only have a small amount of time to be able to play, don't take up more time than needed.

Edited by owen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, owen said:

Terrible justification for bad time management and common courtesy. People are here to role play, people aren't here to sit there and do nothing. You cannot justify to me, that a cop should keep someone post-stop for ten to twenty minutes until they finish their report, that is absurd. Just because they don't want to sit there for an extra fifteen minutes whilst you idly write your report doesn't mean they're not here to role play, it means they're bored and they want to go and role play. Remember how influential and important your position in a legal faction is, and how you, as a police officer, can alter someone's perspective and opinion on a faction or the server.

You've given me a long, cumbersome, four paragraph defensive explanation on why it's okay to keep people there, and how cops have to do paperwork. This proves my issue. We'll agree to disagree. Just because you get bored writing constant paperwork doesn't mean you should make the other people feel bored because ''I'm suffering.'' and that's just it. 

From nine months on this community, and five years on another community as a cop, I'm telling you all — it takes less than ten minutes to merely issue a ticket, give the individual some interesting dialogue, provide some cool role play and leave. Obviously this differs like I said in my above post. Some people only have a small amount of time to be able to play, don't take up more time than needed.

What's wrong is your basis and assumption that all my traffic stops take upwards of 20 minutes or more, no, this was a one case scenario of what happened that night with the OP where it took 26 minutes. Normally? I don't keep people longer than 10 minutes on my stops, which is why your response may be opposed to what I was saying. Based on the fact they usually don't take longer than 10 minutes, I'm assuming you'd have given a different answer, should have clarified that.

I can agree that a stop shouldn't take as long as possible and keep people as prisoners if people cannot do traffic stop in efficient amounts of time, but considering I was doing the best I possibly could with all that was going on, not much else can be changed about it.

In SHORT, I'll continue to do my traffic reports during the stop, cause not all my t-stops last that long. ?

Edited by xanx
12 minutes ago, xanx said:

What's wrong is your basis and assumption that all my traffic stops take upwards of 20 minutes or more, no, this was a one case scenario of what happened that night with the OP where it took 26 minutes. Normally? I don't keep people longer than 10 minutes on my stops, which is why your response may be opposed to what I was saying. Based on the fact they usually don't take longer than 10 minutes, I'm assuming you'd have given a different answer, should have clarified that.

In my experience I haven't had a single traffic stop which took less than 20 minutes, granted I've only had about 3 or 4 personally, and a handful while friends were driving. Also, I can't see how you could say your average stop last 10 minutes or less, when mine took almost half an hour (granted there was an ALPR glitch or whatever you said) but still, where is all that extra time going?

@owen is spot on too. Annoying, pedantic interactions with the PD repeatedly could easily turn someone away from the server. Unnecessarily keeping people in an RP or dragging it out as long as possible is just selfish. Circles back to the "if I have to be here, you have to as well" point I made, which according to you, is essential. But is it really?

I think people need to respect other people's time (which many in this thread say they do) and understand holding someone for almost 30 minutes for what should be a 10 minute interaction is just rude. And for those slower players who can't do things at an appropriate speed, let them continue on with their day and do the reports/whatever else needs to be done after they leave.

• Upvote 1