The speed of PD/SD/FD RP

RoryR

34 minutes ago, RoryR said:

No it isn't, read the thread.

Well, if it weren't the sole reason, it was a contributing factor for you to post it now rather than later.

I was going to a business to get the coords of it for a property request before I went off for the night. I was in a rush, people speed when they're in a rush. Sure, by all means RP however you want to, but it would be nice if people would be mindful of other people's time, you don't need to drag out every scenario just for the sake of it.

I see what you mean about your business now, I get what you were trying to do, however there is a difference of being in a rush and then also flying through the city. The traffic stop wasn't dragged out on purpose, from the list of situations I mentioned in my previous post, those were all contributing factors to the reason as to why the traffic stop took as long as it did. I did not plan on these things to play out and to take this long, this is just how the situation unfolded and I went with it.

I conduct around 10-30 traffic stops per each patrol, among other situations or emergencies I have to attend to, believe me despite what happened last night, I also don't want to be stuck in traffic stops for upwards of 30 minutes if they don't have to be that long. The only reason why I was fine with this traffic stop taking this long is because it was all roleplayed out, had a couple of laughs with the banter that was being cracked in-game, and there was no purpose of making it any longer just to spite you.

This interuption lasted no longer than 30 seconds, don't act like it was some big inconvenience for any one involved, or something that held up the RP significantly. Also where did I complain here? We were all clearly trying to understand if it was lag/desync or if he had intentionally or unintentionally lost control of his vehicle.

Whilst it may not have been a long interruption, it is still a valid point to add for why the traffic stop took so long, it all adds up to that 26 minutes you timed. Note how I didn't have much to say on it other than just stating what happened, just for the context of this particular traffic stop. + From the screenshot I posted in the reply, it's seen that the situation was rather brief in comparrison to the rest. The complaining comes with you going into /B, going: "..........................", that is a complaint. You're complaining about a situation which just happened, in a non-verbal way.

Please don't act as if my /b comments interuppted in anyway at all, I think you replied to one of them with "IC". And yes, it was an inconvenience, I think you picked up on that straight away and purposely decided to drag out the RP as long as you could. If that's how you get enjoyment from the game, go for it. But like I said, it would be nice if people would be mindful of each other's time. I still don't understand how something so routine can take upwards of 25 minutes.

Any /b comments do interrupt, of course they do, it's just that you do not see that layer of it as we're in OOC channels on TS. Whenever you made your comments, it takes time to read it, then, comments are made on it too on an OOC level, so it takes away the focus from thinking about what you're typing. I for example have difficulties multi-tasking when it comes to speaking to someone and then also typing or constructing your next sentence in-game, I cannot do both at the same time, I either focus on one or the other, but that's just me.

As for the inconvenience? I didn't notice the first time you mentioned you have work in the morning during that traffic stop generally because I blind myself out for /B comments to avoid any OOC beef/drama/ or interruptions. I only picked up on it whilst writing my reply to this thread and watching my footage back.

You can have your assumptions whether or not I did drag out this situation but in truth? I did not do it on purpose, the only time I can think of I did on purpose was to simply crack a joke at the very end when I went to check if my shoe lace was undone, I roleplayed it being done up, in the hopes that it can light up the situation considering I was very aware how long that traffic stop took. If the joke was not in taste, not much I can do about it as comedy is very subjective and people find different things funny.

If you wish for other people to mindful of your time if it is limited, please try another approach in a calmer non-complaining way. Cause asking in a nicer way can go a long way.

Example: /B Hey guys, I'm sorry but I really have to go as I have work in the morning, could we just speed the roleplay a little more please?

Is all it takes, the way you word it is important. If you were to have said that and I actually noticed that you said it in the first place, I would have attempted to eliminate most of the other roleplay that was just banter in the unit.

@RoryR

Edited by xanx
7 minutes ago, Tseard said:

I'm not saying that people should just shoot up others or commit crimes and then blame it on having to go, But generally I'll give people a break or the benefit of the doubt. If someone genuinely has to go, it won't make any RP any more interesting. I think we all have been in situations where you have to go during RP. 

We can't blame community members for you with: ''I sometimes have perimeter duty for 2 hours as well'' and we really shouldn't be using it as an argument against it. 

Endless discussion where no end of agreement will be insight.

@RoryR if you feel we done you wrong by the length of our rp you should make a report on common courtesy on me and @xanx

I've said my piece, but it's a discussion as I said that no one will come to an agreement with. Some stand on one side, some on the other. 

-cheerios

From a personal FD opinion, if people need to go then I'll happily speed the process up and inform people through faction chat, I wanna make it enjoyable for everyone but I understand that people have other priorities in life.

4 minutes ago, xanx said:

I didn't notice the first time you mentioned you have work in the morning

4 minutes ago, xanx said:

If you were to have said that and I actually noticed that you said it in the first place, I would have attempted to eliminate most of the other roleplay

I guess hindsight is 20/20.

7 minutes ago, xanx said:

If the joke was not in taste, not much I can do about it as comedy is very subjective and people find different things funny.

"I know this guy is in a rush to get off so let me go ahead and purposely take even longer".

Just for some clarity, I was genuinely interested in understanding some of the behind the scenes of why these particular RPs take so long. As myself and others have said, when officers are sitting in a cruiser for literally minutes at a time with no input, it makes you wonder what is happening.

29 minutes ago, RoryR said:

Just for some clarity, I was genuinely interested in understanding some of the behind the scenes of why these particular RPs take so long. As myself and others have said, when officers are sitting in a cruiser for literally minutes at a time with no input, it makes you wonder what is happening.

Whenever an officer is sitting in a cruiser and you see no roleplay, this is the part where they're looking up your information on the MDC. Checking through your vehicles to search outstanding fines, looking whether or not the vehicle is insured, looking at whether or not you were previously processed or arrested, going through your criminal record to base their next decisions in the traffic stop.

Certain charges have what we call "offences", which is the count of how many times you committed a particular charge, with each offence, different actions can be done in-game such as higher fine amounts, impounding of vehicle, license suspensions, et cetera.

Another great factor is the traffic report itself, most police officers will do the traffic report during the traffic stop itself as that is when all the information is available to you and you don't forget any key details. Also, checking back on their dashboard camera footage.

Here is a fake example of what a traffic report may look like, if gone into depth. (These MUST be written out each time you cite someone)

0Dn09kY.png

Edited by xanx
13 minutes ago, xanx said:

Whenever an officer is sitting in a cruiser and you see no roleplay, this is the part where they're looking up your information on the MDC. Checking through your vehicles to search outstanding fines, looking whether or not the vehicle is insured, looking at whether or not you were previously processed or arrested, going through your criminal record to base their next decisions in the traffic stop.

Certain charges have what we call "offences", which is the count of how many times you committed a particular charge, with each offence, different actions can be done in-game such as higher fine amounts, impounding of vehicle, license suspensions, et cetera.

Another great factor is the traffic report itself, most police officers will do the traffic report during the traffic stop itself as that is when all the information is available to you and you don't forget any key details. Also, checking back on their dashboard camera footage.

Here is a fake example of what a traffic report may look like, if gone into depth. (These MUST be written out each time you cite someone)

0Dn09kY.png

Thanks for the insight.

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Shekh said:

Agree with thread poster. Ive been arrested before taking 2+ hrs and most of it was just me in the back of a cruiser. A lot of times when u get to prison they just leave u outside in a cruiser while dealing with other people too. (Saw with my own eyes like 5 cops chilling doing nothing so it definently wasnt lack of manpower causing this slowness).

Not really that common though in my experience, it has happened sometimes but not enough for me to consider it a big problem

Actually if your situation was the one I think it was, you couldn't go inside because I just shot a dude and the processing room became a crime scene. 

a lot of people forget also that traffic stops will have an index/contents page. mine will (broadly speaking) be formatted something like this

Chapter I START OF SHIFT

Chapter II THE STOP

CHAPTER III LEAVING THE CRUISER

CHAPTER IV APPROACHING THE VEHICLE

CHAPTER V REALISING I LEFT MY GUN IN THE CRUISER

CHAPTER VI RETURNING TO THE CRUISER

etc, etc.

this is to ensure the level of painstaking detail necessary in case someone wants to know what happened exactly. you might say you don't need 9000 words to write up a traffic stop in a game. that's true, which is why i normally do it in 8000.

usually i do these write ups during the traffic stop itself, and it can take a few hours. occasionally people say they have to log to do childcare/go to work, but i'm normally there still writing when they're back, so it doesn't matter so much.

Edited by Kipps
  • Upvote 2

Reports should be written post-stop, not during. Writing a report during a traffic stop makes the stop itself become cumbersome and boring, leaving a bad taste in the person(s) mouth. A traffic stop does not need to take more than ten minutes at max (unless they're being arrested, being pulled out and so forth) and that's just non-negotiable. 

It takes five minutes to look a person up, their vehicle and their past/current warrants — any more than that and you need to improve and you're the problem. There's more at stake than just the traffic stop, if you stop someone and then proceed to take fifteen minutes by yourself writing boring /mes about looking up someone and checking your computer, you're the problem. 

Going back to my previous point, you should NOT be writing your traffic report on the traffic stop — that's absurd. You should NOT keep people on the stop once everything has been concluded, that is also absurd. It's not just about the traffic stop anymore though, you're keeping other people occupied for no reason, you're wasting their time and your own. No one enjoys role play where they're just doing nothing and waiting, that isn't fun, that isn't engaging and it is certainly not something that a cop should allow, in-character or out of character.  

A civilian role playing with a cop, and them having bad/boring experience will last a lifetime and set a trend, this is one of them. Bottom line is, it shouldn't have taken that long. People can do better.

Edited by owen
  • Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1