The speed of PD/SD/FD RP

RoryR

I have somewhat of an opposite experience. I personally love the longer PD/SD/FD scenes, I'm so happy that on this server someone can shoot up my business and then we're roleplaying the consequences of it for the next hour or two. It adds to the depth of it, that's how that kind of stuff works in real life too! Sometimes cops run off to go to a pursuit or whatever, but I've noticed once or twice that they'll stick around to conclude the situation instead of rushing to the next. That's what quality RP is about.

That being said, I agree so much on being pulled over. Sometimes you're just trying to log off and boom you're pulled over and the cop turns it into a 30 minute interaction. Usually they're all the same, and not much happens different in them, but sometimes they're alright. It's pretty annoying when someone is robocopping and taking a long time both at the same time!

• Upvote 2

Am I playing Typing Master?

Joke aside.

I'm currently in FD on both GTAW and on a SAMP RP server. And I do understand that FD RP is quite time-consuming. I often do detailed RP to show my actions so people can understand what I am doing (they are still confusing, anyways). You can do an IV within one or two minutes in real life (correct me if I am wrong), but typing is a different game. It can costs you 5 minutes or something. Not everyone is a fast-typer and you have to get used to it.

The traffic stop you're referring too was mine and another pd member. Not naming unless they want too. We were having some fun rp inside the car together, discussing what happened and how to deal with it as well as some banter together on the side. I had a lot of fun, not everything always has to be rushed. Sometimes you deal with people who want to do stuff as fast as they can, and sometimes you'll deal with people who are slower or rp more on the side. How we rp something is not up to you, even though I can understand the annoyance of time being taken. Still those are the consequences of your characters actions by breaking the laws. I sometimes have to sit on a barrier for 2 hours which isn't fun either but it's part of the rp. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

What you need to consider is a realistic aspect here. As a cop IRL, sometimes it can take longer or shorter depending on many different circumstances. I'd expect it would be slower IG as you need to type everything which is what you'd expect, you can't rush quality, especially when it comes to PD/SD/FD. Would you rather them walk up to you and /ticket and that's it?

• Upvote 1

my character has OCD and is especially obsessive about time, so he only does certain actions at certain time intervals. so while your character might not think much about opening a car door, mine will only do it if his watch shows the time is a multiple of ten. i find this roleplay unique, and while it does mean traffic stops can take 40-50 minutes longer than normal, a lot of players compliment me on my interesting character rp. 

one time his partner tried to trick him into getting over it by changing the time on their cruiser's clock, but he realised it was different to what his watch said and freaked out. in this instance i had my character just doing '/ame stares into space and does nothing.' for the whole shift of two hours. so my point basically is that sometimes taking ages to do nothing is good roleplay.

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1

Officer Ezekiel Wolf here, the cop that pulled you over alongside @goddessoflife Officer Delany.

I'd like to just start off with saying that I'm genuinely shocked you have turned this into a discussion, of course, that is entirely up to you and nothing is stopping you, however, just the fact that this is specifically the reason why you've actually posted this in the first place. As other comments already pointed out, this is a text-based roleplay and something you should be already prepared for where roleplay will take longer for interactions to take place, considering they have to be typed out rather than just performed like in real life.

Aside the obvious, regarding the traffic stop itself which happened, there were multiple reasons as to why it may have taken so long, here's a quick breakdown for you in case you weren't paying attention and engaging in the roleplay that occurred simply because you were inconvenienced on an OOC standpoint:

• Upon initially pulling you over, as my ALPR scanner scanned in your vehicle at first but shortly after rescanned another vehicle instead, leading to the mistake that I called out the incorrect vehicle from an IC standpoint. I roleplayed this as a glitch with the ALPR scanner and had to repeat the process of calling out the traffic stop with the correct information this time along, whilst accompanying it with the roleplay that you may or may not have seen in the vehicle.
  • There was an in-game argument between myself and Officer Delany as to who would be approaching the vehicle, speaking with the driver in the pulled over vehicle, as well as doing the paperwork which comes with conducting traffic stops, something which a lot of people do not realise that actually happens (Whilst you've already left the traffic stop and going to do other things, I'm left with the next 5 minutes, if not longer, occupied having to type up a report for your actions).
  • During this argument, you went into /B telling us to speed up the situation, mentioning you have work.
  • N3vs2Wl.png
  • I just want to straight up tell you that this is an excuse I hear over and over and over... and I honestly have a -very- set of simple questions for you to consider:
    • If you have to go? Why don't you just log off when you can? Aka, before you start speeding, your character does not need to be at home for you to log off if you -really- have to go because you've got work in the morning, prioritise it correctly OOCly as that is none of my concern if you get yourself involved in a situation like you did yesterday.
    • Why are you still driving around the city at 100+ MPH asking to be pulled over whilst you're blowing intersections right next to the Vespucci Police Headquarters?
    • During the traffic stop you mentioned that you were going to look at a business to purchase, and of course, considering the time of the pullover, my character inquried regarding that as they were curious on an ICly level. However, this simply goes against your comments saying you have got work in the morning, further either proving you don't priortise your life OOCly, or were simply lying to us.
  • Having followed all of this, the actual traffic stop can actually begin, the first contact where you introduce yourself, requesting the documents, and providing the pullover reason aswell. I also throughout this engaged in some other roleplay which included educating your character on an IC standpoint regarding the speed limits. Then, as already written about, interacting with you regarding the business. As for what you said OOCly in /B, my character interprets words the way he wants to in-game.
  • 5ctodIw.png
  • During this conversation, a vehicle desynced right into the traffic stop, slamming both into my unit and your vehicle at the same time, so that had to be figured out, with the eventuality of it being skipped over and ignored as all players agreed. This is where you continued to complain further in /B.
  • beQmKNG.png
  • Upon all the information having been collected, I went back into the unit and interacted with my partner, explaining why I was at the window longer than usual. Speaking about the "business" you were going to purchase at around 23:00.
  • The actual traffic report itself. Whilst as I was writing it up, I also had to engage in the roleplay around me in the unit. The actual report itself didn't take longer than 4 minutes for me, despite this you continued to go OOC.
  • ledGGNu.png
  • Having finished all that, I approached the vehicle once more with the citations which were printed out. This went further into the roleplay, explaining the citations, what you were cited for and for how much, how to dispute, et cetera. Which, you only got cited for $250 for each one.
  • Despite all of this, there was another thing I didn't pick up on during the traffic stop itself and therefore it was too late, I explained that your tints were too dark and asked you to get them replaced.
  • Lastly once the documents were handed over, and as we were driving away, there was one last final cherry on top from your side.
  • X3xBalR.png

Make of this as you will, but from my perspective? You couldn't care less about this engagement whatsoever, it was an inconvenience to you, however, because of this your attitude was annoying to be quite frank as you kept going OOCly.

Moral of the story? Don't drive like this if you really have to go to work in the morning:

https://streamable.com/w9o4xf

Edited by xanx
  • Applaud 4

You should consider someone's wishes when they say very clearly that they don't want to roleplay a particular scenario for an extended period of time. Many people only log on a couple times a week and play for maybe 2 hours. It's not up to you to decide that 30 minutes of those 2 hours should be dedicated to the portrayal of all the subtlelties involved in a traffic stop. Especially when that minutia only scarcely involves the detained character.

In my opinion, a 15 mins timeframe wouldn't have robbed you of much depth at all, and would have been more accepted by the member you played with.

Edited by arrdef

The stop takes as long as it takes? It's not as though the officers were trying to delay the situation. Going into /b DOES delay the situation. If someone doesn't want to be inconvenienced and pulled over... don't speed.

15 hours ago, Gambler said:

That is because you don't type face to face in real life.

Adding to that, they have all have an entire procedure to follow and with new P1s coming in and learning this procedure means it'll take time.