The speed of PD/SD/FD RP

RoryR

I completely understand that this is a heavy RP server, and I'm not sure if I've just got unlucky, but every interaction I've had with the PD/SD/FD takes far too long.

I've had a traffic stop which took 26 minutes, yet I've had real life traffic stops which take half that or less. I've had collisions which got the PD/SD/FD involved which take upwards of an hour. I'm just wondering what are the reasons why this RP takes so long? From personal experience it often seems like the players themselves are just slow, and can often go literal minutes without replying or progressing the RP. Could someone from one of the mentioned groups share some insight on why this RP takes so long? Is it the systems you have to use that are slow or something? Do you need to use the respective forums of your group mid RP? I'm genuinely curious.

Its text roleplay, it always involves more than two people at a traffic stop, they take your ID radio over to central and the usual stuff, if least one person is BRB or something, it all slows down considerably. And FD has it worse, they have to create scene and come up with solid descriptions of said scene and what they are doing. Which also includes online studying of techniques and procedures, sometimes on the fly, but I could be wrong. Its text roleplay that's the issue here, people type in slower speed than they talk.

Edited by Engelbert

Most of the encounters I have had with the police have been fairly brief. It probably helps that there is some extensive effort to be cooperative and ready to help with their questions and procedure.

Even during a ride along with several stops and repeating visitation from a taxi driver with legs that could melt a cheese sammich from across the room and a face that could give radiation poisoning worse than Chernobyl, the stops tended to be brief. 

In retrospect, the occasions in which the officer stopped that taxi driver were likely deliberately brief...

Edited by DasFroggy

"I've had real life traffic stops which take half that or less."

In real life you can talk and perform an action at the same time, usually within seconds, unlike typing two separate times, one for speech, one for actions.

I get that typing speed is a factor, but I don't see how someone could argue for an almost 30 minute traffic stop. For reference there was nothing out of the ordinary and I was not deliberately trying to drag it out by being awkward at all, quite the opposite actually. There was a time where nothing happened for 3 minutes either, no lag or anything of that sort, just nothing.

I'm not being nitpicky, I'm just genuinely curious why something so routine takes so long.

Edited by RoryR
16 minutes ago, RoryR said:

I completely understand that this is a heavy RP server, and I'm not sure if I've just got unlucky, but every interaction I've had with the PD/SD/FD takes far too long.

I've had a traffic stop which took 26 minutes, yet I've had real life traffic stops which take half that or less. I've had collisions which got the PD/SD/FD involved which take upwards of an hour. I'm just wondering what are the reasons why this RP takes so long? From personal experience it often seems like the players themselves are just slow, and can often go literal minutes without replying or progressing the RP. Could someone from one of the mentioned groups share some insight on why this RP takes so long? Is it the systems you have to use that are slow or something? Do you need to use the respective forums of your group mid RP? I'm genuinely curious.

I think you'll find that the most time consuming thing is waiting for people to respond to your Roleplay. From an FD side of things, there's nothing worse than going to a scene with loads of people and trying to figure out what's happened with the Victim. Your speech/emotes are lost in a wall of text and it's the same for them too. 

There is a feature called /highlight which could work wonders in these situations but most people don't even know this exists. It just takes a bit of time to get the RP flowing and for all parties to concentrate on the RP at hand. It's a 2 way system between PD/SD/FD and the people on the scene. Just saying.

Three factors make text emergency scenes relatively slow,

speed of typing

situational awareness of all parties involed (“whats going on, what am i looking at?”

OOC explanations, such as being afk, patients going brb, explaining what certain things do, checking details on cars like damages, etc etc.

also /setinjuries is a thing. You can now set your injuries similar to setting up a description, and examine other injuries by doing /injuries id. Speeds stuff up tremendously.

Edited by KinnyWynny
7 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

also /setinjuries is a thing. You can now set your injuries similar to setting up a description, and examine other injuries by doing /injuries id. Speeds stuff up tremendously.

Did not know about that, should be pushed a bit more so more people know about it and use it.

1 minute ago, Peak. said:

Traffic stops in real life do take an extended period of time. 

Theres a lot that happens in the background which aides to develop the roleplay. 

In my experience, they do not. Also could you expand on the background stuff that happens?